The Student Room Group

Disabled Students FAQ (Under Construction)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Etoile
Thanks :smile: It's lasted 2 years already so I guess that counts as chronic! For DSA, when do I apply for it? I'm sending off my UCAS form in a couple of weeks.

The process can take up to four months, maybe a little longer in extreme cases. It is relatively straightforward but does have a few steps such as initial application, needs assessment, final report and then receiving your equipment.
It's therefore probably best you apply when you apply for your main funding so, if you're starting in 2013/2014, it's best to apply late March to May of 2013. I don't think you'll be able to apply for it earlier than that as applications don't usually open until around March.

So, in short, apply three to six months before you start university. If you apply later then that's not a disaster, as you can apply any time during your course, it's just best to apply as early as possible so you can have the support in place for the start of the academic year.
Reply 81
Original post by River85
The process can take up to four months, maybe a little longer in extreme cases. It is relatively straightforward but does have a few steps such as initial application, needs assessment, final report and then receiving your equipment.
It's therefore probably best you apply when you apply for your main funding so, if you're starting in 2013/2014, it's best to apply late March to May of 2013. I don't think you'll be able to apply for it earlier than that as applications don't usually open until around March.

So, in short, apply three to six months before you start university. If you apply later then that's not a disaster, as you can apply any time during your course, it's just best to apply as early as possible so you can have the support in place for the start of the academic year.

Great, thanks! :smile:
Reply 82
I've been suffering from severe depression, anxiety and insomnia for a long time now and was officially diagnosed two years ago. I had to drop out of school and have since been self-studying to get my A-Levels. I've been messed around while I've been trying to get treatment but I've finally been referred to CBT and hopefully should be starting it soon and have it over by the time I go to uni. Of course this doesn't mean it will all magically disappear. My GP agrees with me that going to uni could be hugely beneficial for me as it will help be regain a sense of normalcy and help me get away from the town I live in which is one of my biggest sources of anxiety. The aim of going to university is one of the few things that has stopped me giving up on everything. So I'm determined to go.

I've been thinking about applying for DSA, even though I don't think I necessarily need the money. It's more a case of I want to have someone at the uni who can back me up if I have problems if I have a bad episode which could affect my work.

However my major question is about accommodation. Basically I've been to a few open days in the last couple of weeks and the realisation I could end up in catered and shared bathroom accommodation has cranked my anxiety to extremes, made me more depressed, angry and has made my insomnia even worse.

When I'm really low, it is really hard dragging myself out of bed. While I could probably force myself on days I have lectures/seminars, I probably wouldn't be able to when I don't. All the unis I've looked at require often going halfway across campus and sitting with a bunch of people to eat if you're in catered. On bad days I would not be able to do this, I would stay in my room and not eat. If I was in self-catered I could either find a quiet moment to quickly pop in the kitchen, or hopefully I would be on fairly good terms with my flatmates, I might be more at ease. Also I'm quite a fussy eater, which is probably linked to my issues, so the last thing I need is to barely be eating. My issues are made worse when I eat too much junk, the healthy stuff I eat probably wouldn't be available and I'd end up living on pizza.

Bathroom wise I have pretty big fears about having to be around my peers again but I'm determined to try, but being forced to share a bathroom with people would cause me extreme anxiety. This is less of a concern than being in catered halls but having a en-suite would make my life a lot easier.

Is it possible to have my GP outline these concerns in a letter to the uni, so that perhaps I could have help getting a self-catered en-suite room? If I did, where would I need to have her send this letter to? I really feel that if I am in a self-catered en-suite I will have one less thing to worry about and I can concentrate on everything else? It's getting to the point where I almost feel like if I get stuck in catered accommodation, I might give up my place.

I'd really appreciate the help, this is stressing me out so much.
Reply 83
Original post by LLJP
I've been suffering from severe depression, anxiety and insomnia for a long time now and was officially diagnosed two years ago. I had to drop out of school and have since been self-studying to get my A-Levels. I've been messed around while I've been trying to get treatment but I've finally been referred to CBT and hopefully should be starting it soon and have it over by the time I go to uni. Of course this doesn't mean it will all magically disappear. My GP agrees with me that going to uni could be hugely beneficial for me as it will help be regain a sense of normalcy and help me get away from the town I live in which is one of my biggest sources of anxiety. The aim of going to university is one of the few things that has stopped me giving up on everything. So I'm determined to go.

I've been thinking about applying for DSA, even though I don't think I necessarily need the money. It's more a case of I want to have someone at the uni who can back me up if I have problems if I have a bad episode which could affect my work.

However my major question is about accommodation. Basically I've been to a few open days in the last couple of weeks and the realisation I could end up in catered and shared bathroom accommodation has cranked my anxiety to extremes, made me more depressed, angry and has made my insomnia even worse.

When I'm really low, it is really hard dragging myself out of bed. While I could probably force myself on days I have lectures/seminars, I probably wouldn't be able to when I don't. All the unis I've looked at require often going halfway across campus and sitting with a bunch of people to eat if you're in catered. On bad days I would not be able to do this, I would stay in my room and not eat. If I was in self-catered I could either find a quiet moment to quickly pop in the kitchen, or hopefully I would be on fairly good terms with my flatmates, I might be more at ease. Also I'm quite a fussy eater, which is probably linked to my issues, so the last thing I need is to barely be eating. My issues are made worse when I eat too much junk, the healthy stuff I eat probably wouldn't be available and I'd end up living on pizza.

Bathroom wise I have pretty big fears about having to be around my peers again but I'm determined to try, but being forced to share a bathroom with people would cause me extreme anxiety. This is less of a concern than being in catered halls but having a en-suite would make my life a lot easier.

Is it possible to have my GP outline these concerns in a letter to the uni, so that perhaps I could have help getting a self-catered en-suite room? If I did, where would I need to have her send this letter to? I really feel that if I am in a self-catered en-suite I will have one less thing to worry about and I can concentrate on everything else? It's getting to the point where I almost feel like if I get stuck in catered accommodation, I might give up my place.

I'd really appreciate the help, this is stressing me out so much.

Hi,

It will certainly be a good idea to have your GP write a letter to confirm your diagnsosis, outline some of your difficulties, and recommend ensuite accomodation. In fact, you will need medical evidence if you apply for DSA so this letter will be able to fufill this purpose also. Be aware that, as it's private work (not NHS) your GP may charge for writing the letter.

Of course I cannot guarentee you will be given self-catered, ensuite accomodation, particularly if there is a very limited number. However, the university should be sypathetic to your concerns and place you as a high priority when allocation accomodation as the provision of ensuite accomodation may be classed as a resonable adjustment (which they are legally entitled to make). Preferential treatment is often given to students with disabilities or health conditions when allocating ensuite accomodation.

If you do get given ensuite accomodation this will be more expensive. DSA may be able to make up the difference in cost between ensuite and shared so you won't be placed at financial disadvantage.

It would be best if the GP writes the letter (addressed to "Whom it May Concern") and you pick it up and photocopy it (or scan it). You can keep a copy for yourself and then forward additional copies to the disability service/other appropriate contacts. I'm not sure who exactly you need to contact, as this may differ by university. Usually it will be an accomodation office, whether a central one or, for collegiate universities, a college one. Once you have chosen your firm university you can contact the disability service. They will be happy to provide information and advice regarding who to contact and, if given medical evidence, may be able to help in supporting your request.

Again, universities will differ in exactly how the arrange accomodation. Some will not allocate accomodation until after results in August (so only weeks before the start of term). Others will allocate accomodation earlier so it's probably best you contact your firm university as soon as it is chosen, or at least as soon as you receive accomodation information.
Reply 84
Original post by River85

If you do get given ensuite accomodation this will be more expensive. DSA may be able to make up the difference in cost between ensuite and shared so you won't be placed at financial disadvantage.

Is this right? :confused: I thought DSA covered expenses related to the course / attending the course rather than living.
Reply 85
Original post by Ethereal
Is this right? :confused: I thought DSA covered expenses related to the course / attending the course rather than living.

Yes. It's still a course related cost in the sense that many students need to live on campus in order to attend their course or, even if they are able to live in suitable accomodation elsewhere, the travelling to and from campus will be impractical due to their disability.

See Imperial's website, for example; they state DSA can provide: -

some assistance with hall fees if a larger room or an en-suite bathroom is required due to disability.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/disabilityadvisoryservice/supportatimperial/funding

It's the final bullet point under "What Can Disabled Students Allowance Provide?"
Reply 86
Interesting. Must've been expanded since I was at uni - well, under the attacks on benefits under this government that won't last!
Reply 87
Original post by Ethereal
Interesting. Must've been expanded since I was at uni - well, under the attacks on benefits under this government that won't last!

I wasn't actually aware DSA could be used for ensuite accomodation until a few months ago when I saw it mentioned on TSR (I'd find the thread but the search function is, or was, messing up again), so it probably is new. If it's not then I don't think it is well known or well "utilised".
Reply 88
Original post by River85
Hi,

It will certainly be a good idea to have your GP write a letter to confirm your diagnsosis, outline some of your difficulties, and recommend ensuite accomodation. In fact, you will need medical evidence if you apply for DSA so this letter will be able to fufill this purpose also. Be aware that, as it's private work (not NHS) your GP may charge for writing the letter.

Of course I cannot guarentee you will be given self-catered, ensuite accomodation, particularly if there is a very limited number. However, the university should be sypathetic to your concerns and place you as a high priority when allocation accomodation as the provision of ensuite accomodation may be classed as a resonable adjustment (which they are legally entitled to make). Preferential treatment is often given to students with disabilities or health conditions when allocating ensuite accomodation.

It would be best if the GP writes the letter (addressed to "Whom it May Concern") and you pick it up and photocopy it (or scan it). You can keep a copy for yourself and then forward additional copies to the disability service/other appropriate contacts. I'm not sure who exactly you need to contact, as this may differ by university. Usually it will be an accomodation office, whether a central one or, for collegiate universities, a college one. Once you have chosen your firm university you can contact the disability service. They will be happy to provide information and advice regarding who to contact and, if given medical evidence, may be able to help in supporting your request.

Again, universities will differ in exactly how the arrange accomodation. Some will not allocate accomodation until after results in August (so only weeks before the start of term). Others will allocate accomodation earlier so it's probably best you contact your firm university as soon as it is chosen, or at least as soon as you receive accomodation information.

I should have my accommodation covered by loan/grant, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Thank you so much, this was very helpful and reassuring!
Reply 89
Hello :smile:

I have some questions regarding dsa and was wondering if anyone could help me.

I've been suffering from severe anxiety and depression for some time now (around 3 years) I struggled with it during college but felt embarrassed and a bit of a burden talking to the doctor about it. This year it's gotten quite bad and it got to the point where last year I missed a lot of college due to it and actually did quite badly in my alevels due to this and so am re-sitting my exams now and am applying for 2013 entry. I think some of the things offered by dsa would help me, I don't know everything they offer but little things such as printing credits and computer related things would help me greatly as I suffer from very bad social anxiety.

My only worry is due to be being a little awkward about approaching the subject with my doctor, I unfortunately only sought help very recently (within the last few months). I was asked by my doctor how long i'd been dealing with my problems and I assume this has all gone down on my file, I am also now on medication also. My worry however is I understand DSA requires evidence from your doctor for the medical condition. Do they require the date you were officially diagnosed? I ask because as I've only recently been 'officially' diagnosed, I fear my doctor and the dsa people may look at the date I've been diagnosed and look at the date I apply for dsa (which will be around 4 months away I imagine) And assume I haven't been diagnosed long enough to qualify for any help. Or even worse they may think i've just brought up my problems now in an attempt to qualify for dsa:frown:?

If this is the case I'll probably save myself the embarrassment of asking my doctor for a letter or doctors note as evidence for dsa and leave the dsa application all together! Ontop of this worry, when applying for ucas I selected the section indicating you suffer from a mental health condition, and so far one of my choices have gotten back to me asking me to fill out a questionare about my condition, which also requires evidence from my doctor, and so again the same problem of the short time between being diagnosed and providing evidence of said diagnosis comes into play!

So if someone could give me some clarification or even some advice on this I'd be most grateful :smile:
P.s very sorry for the long winded post!
Original post by Alejandro
My worry however is I understand DSA requires evidence from your doctor for the medical condition. Do they require the date you were officially diagnosed?

No. I have never been asked for a letter regarding the date of diagnosis. They don't care about the diagnosis either.
Reply 91
Hello :smile:

I have some questions regarding dsa and was wondering if anyone could help me.

I've been suffering from severe anxiety and depression for some time now (around 3 years) I struggled with it during college but felt embarrassed and a bit of a burden talking to the doctor about it. This year it's gotten quite bad and it got to the point where last year I missed a lot of college due to it and actually did quite badly in my alevels due to this and so am re-sitting my exams now and am applying for 2013 entry. I think some of the things offered by dsa would help me, I don't know everything they offer but little things such as printing credits and computer related things would help me greatly as I suffer from very bad social anxiety.

My only worry is due to be being a little awkward about approaching the subject with my doctor, I unfortunately only sought help very recently (within the last few months). I was asked by my doctor how long i'd been dealing with my problems and I assume this has all gone down on my file, I am also now on medication also. My worry however is I understand DSA requires evidence from your doctor for the medical condition. Do they require the date you were officially diagnosed? I ask because as I've only recently been 'officially' diagnosed, I fear my doctor and the dsa people may look at the date I've been diagnosed and look at the date I apply for dsa (which will be around 4 months away I imagine) And assume I haven't been diagnosed long enough to qualify for any help. Or even worse they may think i've just brought up my problems now in an attempt to qualify for dsa:frown:?

If this is the case I'll probably save myself the embarrassment of asking my doctor for a letter or doctors note as evidence for dsa and leave the dsa application all together! Ontop of this worry, when applying for ucas I selected the section indicating you suffer from a mental health condition, and so far one of my choices have gotten back to me asking me to fill out a questionare about my condition, which also requires evidence from my doctor, and so again the same problem of the short time between being diagnosed and providing evidence of said diagnosis comes into play!

So if someone could give me some clarification or even some advice on this I'd be most grateful :smile:
P.s very sorry for the long winded post!

Please don't worry about it. That you've only been diagnosed fairly recently will not prejudice your DSA application.

Your doctor may give the date you first sought treatment/were diagnosed in the letter. However, this won't concern the DSA team. All they are concerned about is that you do have a diagnosis, and what that diagnosis is.

The university is only asking for details as they legally required to provide reasonable adjustments for people with medical conditions and disabilities. They therefore want to know more about your condition and how it may affect your study. That way they can invite you to a meeting (should you select that university as your firm) and discuss ways in which they can support you.

Because you have only recently been diagnosed you are not less worthy of support than someone who was diagnosed years ago.

Moreover, funding bodies and universities will (or certainly should) be aware that many don't seek treatment for depression or anxiety until a number of months or even years after the person first has symptoms.
Reply 92
Original post by River85
Please don't worry about it. That you've only been diagnosed fairly recently will not prejudice your DSA application.

Your doctor may give the date you first sought treatment/were diagnosed in the letter. However, this won't concern the DSA team. All they are concerned about is that you do have a diagnosis, and what that diagnosis is.

The university is only asking for details as they legally required to provide reasonable adjustments for people with medical conditions and disabilities. They therefore want to know more about your condition and how it may affect your study. That way they can invite you to a meeting (should you select that university as your firm) and discuss ways in which they can support you.

Because you have only recently been diagnosed you are not less worthy of support than someone who was diagnosed years ago.

Moreover, funding bodies and universities will (or certainly should) be aware that many don't seek treatment for depression or anxiety until a number of months or even years after the person first has symptoms.

Ah right, I didn't realise that.
Thank you so much for your help :smile:
One other question, as I understand it, do you just apply for dsa when applying for your student loan? And is that around March/April time?
Thanks again :smile:
Ah right, I didn't realise that.
Thank you so much for your help :smile:
One other question, as I understand it, do you just apply for dsa when applying for your student loan? And is that around March/April time?
Thanks again :smile:

Yes. I think there's a box on the student finance form asking you if you want more information about dsa.
Hey all. Had my assessment last Thursday morning!! Went extremely well. Got a lot more support than hoped!

Anyway, I asked them to email me a draft copy, how long does this take to receive? As the guy was really good and said if I need any changes etc, to email him right back. But he hasn't sent me it yet!

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 95
Hi guys. I have suffered a traumatic brain injury and have all relevant medical records for proof.

This slows down by brains functioning and therefore takes me a lot longer to learn and function info.

Can anyone tell me what I will be entitled to, great full for any help

Original post by Dezz21
Hi guys. I have suffered a traumatic brain injury and have all relevant medical records for proof.

This slows down by brains functioning and therefore takes me a lot longer to learn and function info.

Can anyone tell me what I will be entitled to, great full for any help

If you're at uni, you can apply for disabled students allowance. You may get things like mind mapping software, note taker, dictaphone, etc.
I was recently diagnosed with a hearing impairment, so I will have to wear a heading aid in each ear. It took me two years to get an appointment! :unimpressed:

I didn't declare anything about my disability on UCAS as it was never official then and I didn't realise that I would be wearing hearing aids. I've yet to apply for student finance but will do so in the next few days. In terms of applying for DSA and being assessed how do I go about getting things started as I have firmed my offer to study Biology at university. So who will I have to contact, etc. :biggrin:
Original post by Wick3d
I was recently diagnosed with a hearing impairment, so I will have to wear a heading aid in each ear. It took me two years to get an appointment! :unimpressed:

I didn't declare anything about my disability on UCAS as it was never official then and I didn't realise that I would be wearing hearing aids. I've yet to apply for student finance but will do so in the next few days. In terms of applying for DSA and being assessed how do I go about getting things started as I have firmed my offer to study Biology at university. So who will I have to contact, etc. :biggrin:

You have to get the DSA form from student finance. You might be able to download the form. You need a letter stating what your disability is. It may also be wise to speak to the uni you want to go to.

I think declaring your disability on UCAS is for stats more than anything else.
Original post by OU Student
You have to get the DSA form from student finance. You might be able to download the form. You need a letter stating what your disability is. It may also be wise to speak to the uni you want to go to.

I think declaring your disability on UCAS is for stats more than anything else.

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated.

Quick Reply