The Student Room Group

Are you friends with your ex?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No, and if I saw him again I would punch him in the testicles.
Reply 21
I wonder if it's awkward for the people that are friends with their exes because they had feelings for them before and now they act like nothing's happened between them?
Original post by wkd
Because he was once the biggest part of my life, we went on holiday 6 times together and have many memories. What's the point in throwing away two years of your life when we can easily be friends without feeling attached!

not usually the case for most people lol...
Reply 23
Never had an ex & tbh I wouldn't mind being friends because in all fairness if we were to become ex bf gf then the reason would be I dumped her.

Sorry to break it to you but I don't see myself marrying my first lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 24
definately not, though he did try adding me on facebook a few times before he finally got the hint. i want nothing to do with him because he is a selfish, bullying, posessive, abusive, manipulative and controlling bastard who basically put me through 6 months of hell and im much better of without him in my life (and im one of those people who generally tries to be nice/civil to everyone, as i always say im too lazy to actually hate someone, and you can like or dislike whoever you want as long as youre civil to each other when you need to be, but in his case i can make an exception).
Reply 25
She really wants me to, I can't handle it. We speak on good terms, but she threw a "I'd really love it if you came to my birthday, I don't even get off with other guys anymore so you'd have nothing to be jealous about - I miss you" curveball at me the other day and I stupidly fell for it. Really don't want to hurt her, but she doesn't get that I cannot "just be friends" like her last ex (which only lasted a month anyway).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
She really wants me to, I can't handle it. We speak on good terms, but she threw a "I'd really love it if you came to my birthday, I don't even get off with other guys anymore so you'd have nothing to be jealous about - I miss you" curveball at me the other day and I stupidly fell for it. Really don't want to hurt her, but she doesn't get that I cannot "just be friends" like her last ex (which only lasted a month anyway).

Yikes! How do you take a curveball like that and not overthink it!?

If she doesn't get it, explain it to her and I'm sure she'll understand. It's what I did for my current ex, said I couldn't promise I would be there for her after the split and she got that tho it hurt.
Since then I've text her once saying I'm ok and I need time before I'll even think about a friendship and she's still cool with it, misses my friendship and deeply cares about me as one of the closest people to her and she hopes it remains that way. I should add the break was as near mutual as could be, and it was on very good terms tho it both hurt us to do so.

It can all depend how it goes down.
Reply 27
Original post by dandaman0808
Yikes! How do you take a curveball like that and not overthink it!?

If she doesn't get it, explain it to her and I'm sure she'll understand. It's what I did for my current ex, said I couldn't promise I would be there for her after the split and she got that tho it hurt.
Since then I've text her once saying I'm ok and I need time before I'll even think about a friendship and she's still cool with it, misses my friendship and deeply cares about me as one of the closest people to her and she hopes it remains that way. I should add the break was as near mutual as could be, and it was on very good terms tho it both hurt us to do so.

It can all depend how it goes down.

Well, we split up about a year ago - we were very on and off. On because I was there for her during some of the worst times in her life, and off as a result of them. Even now there is still something that lingers, despite the fact that before about a month ago and that I had actually made sure that all lines of contact were cut since February-ish.

I'm pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want to be there to support her and whatnot, but I also don't want to be and couldn't handle being just an ex-boyfriend. Likewise, she often shows signs of wanting more than friendship, but has made it clear that she doesn't. I know a lot of people would say, "she's stringing you along until she finds another guy", but she's actually had a couple of boyfriends since me and during those times was not nearly as friendly as she is now.

So here I am, not entirely sure what to do! :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Original post by CJKay
Well, we split up about a year ago - we were very on and off. On because I was there for her during some of the worst times in her life, and off as a result of them. Even now there is still something that lingers, despite the fact that before about a month ago and that I had actually made sure that all lines of contact were cut since February-ish.

I'm pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want to be there to support her and whatnot, but I also don't want to be and couldn't handle being just an ex-boyfriend. Likewise, she often shows signs of wanting more than friendship, but has made it clear that she doesn't. I know a lot of people would say, "she's stringing you along until she finds another guy", but she's actually had a couple of boyfriends since me and during those times was not nearly as friendly as she is now.

So here I am, not entirely sure what to do! :rolleyes:

How was your relationship in general?
Original post by 1st Love
I'm just wondering, are you guys/girls still friends with your exes? Why or why not?

I am friends with both my exs but that is partly because I had a cooling off period before I next saw them, one over the summer and by the time I saw him again he was dating my best friend. The other one, I dated over a gap year, it ended when I left at easter and then I didn't see him again until the next christmas by which time he was flirting with other people and so was I, so we just enjoyed each others company.

I think it also depends on whether you date people from within an existing friendship group at which point it will be really odd if you are no longer friends, you are still likely to have a lot in common even if you no longer want to rip each others clothes off.

My current boyfriend is still good friends with his ex and it doesn't bother me, I expected her to hate me, because he appeared to break up with her in order to date me although that wasn't actually the case it transpired, but she doesn't seem to hate me, which I am very relieved about.
I am friends with one of my ex boyfriends, but we were friends before we got together and both thought we had feelings for each other which were more than a friendship, and we were together almost a year before I had the courage to say I didn't think I felt the same! But luckily he said the same thing and we just switched to being friends again immediately, it was odd. I'm not friends with anyone who I had strong romantic feelings for though, that would be weird for me.
Reply 31
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I am friends with one of my ex boyfriends, but we were friends before we got together and both thought we had feelings for each other which were more than a friendship, and we were together almost a year before I had the courage to say I didn't think I felt the same! But luckily he said the same thing and we just switched to being friends again immediately, it was odd. I'm not friends with anyone who I had strong romantic feelings for though, that would be weird for me.

Mine was sorta that, we were friends to start off with and we went out for a bit, but then she realised that she didn't feel the same way about me, but I still had strong feelings for her. She broke up with me, and even though I asked to be friends, she said no, there was no point in carrying on with our friendship :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by MattyJo
How was your relationship in general?

Hmm... erratic?
We used to argue a lot, and it always ended up with me apologising for whatever reason, whether I felt it was my fault or not. When we were dating I suppose I always felt like I was hiding things about me because she was a very cliché single-sex grammar school student at the time.
She is, however, much less like that now. Usually I would agree with people that say, "oh she'll never change", but oddly after talking to her for the past month or so she has... for the better. Which, honestly, has only made my decisions more difficult. :|
Reply 33
Original post by CJKay
Hmm... erratic?
We used to argue a lot, and it always ended up with me apologising for whatever reason, whether I felt it was my fault or not. When we were dating I suppose I always felt like I was hiding things about me because she was a very cliché single-sex grammar school student at the time.
She is, however, much less like that now. Usually I would agree with people that say, "oh she'll never change", but oddly after talking to her for the past month or so she has... for the better. Which, honestly, has only made my decisions more difficult. :|

I feel you bro, keep on by yourself man, if she wants you back, she'll come back. It's ridiculous how hard this stuff is, but we cannot hold onto things that just may or may not come back. Sorry to hear about it though.
I am friends with an ex ex, but last boyfriend called me all sorts of names after the breakup. I tried to stay friends, or at least neutral, but the relationship was so tense we just stopped talking. It's a bit of a shame because we were so close and i thought it would be nice to keep contact, but i know it's for the best.
Reply 35
Original post by Jakeh
I feel you bro, keep on by yourself man, if she wants you back, she'll come back. It's ridiculous how hard this stuff is, but we cannot hold onto things that just may or may not come back. Sorry to hear about it though.

You're telling me! I'm just keeping chatting to a minimum until I can think of a clear way to go about this. Cheers, man.
i have 3 exes.

the first i'm still really good friends with, there's no awkwardness, sometimes when we have a row we're slightly more personal because obviously we know exactly what annoys the other one. but its been 3 years since we broke up, so we've had plenty of time to move on, and its was a mutual break up so there wasnt as much hurt.

the second, im not really friends with, but theres no bad feeling either, again, we broke up on fairly good terms. but he emmigrated about 8 months ago now, and apart from a quick facebook message to see what the weather's like in brazil (hot - who'd have thought it? ) we havent talked.

the third. i hate him and literally could not care less what happens to him. he still tries to contact me and he even told my present boyfriend that he still masturbates over the 'treasured memories' of me topless

so looks like i fit in all 3 categories!
Reply 37
Original post by CJKay
You're telling me! I'm just keeping chatting to a minimum until I can think of a clear way to go about this. Cheers, man.

I hope it works out for you, whether you end up back together or you end up happier as friends or w/o her. I hope in 6 more months I'll be in the same position you are now!
Reply 38
Original post by CJKay
Hmm... erratic?

That sounds like a complete mind****.
Yes, still regularly have lunch with her!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending