The Student Room Group

rape sentences: why are women still second class citizens in britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by eeeeeh
i agree that rapists should get longer sentences, but the way you are making the point with all this feminist mumbo jumbo and irritating ultra-agressive language is making me really not want to agree with you

well, i agree my language is not the best as it is a subject that i get very worked up about -- the irony is do not like these shrill feminists either and here i am sounding like one! lol

i would say please try look beyond my personal style as this is such a big issue that is being ignored.
Reply 81
:rolleyes:
Reply 82
Saw you were a feminist, lost interest. All crimes have lower penalties than they should, why do women deserve special treatment?

By your logic, men get lesser sentences for all crimes, which is an undeniable fact. In fact, if there's a man involved too, he will get an even harsher sentence for apparently "subverting and controlling" the women. Why are men second class citizens?

People (mainly feminists who decided that a woman can't have done anything like that) called for the release of Myra Hindley before she died, no-one will ever and should ever call for Ian Brady's release.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can't believe this thread got more negs than the thread mentioning women are stupid, that thread actually got more positive than negs. What is life
People argue that the statistics for rape prosecutions are low due to it being in most cases one person's word against the other, and the difficulty of safely determining what happened, and the prosecution being unable to show conclusively that the man did it - it is what is called reasonable doubt. Some will argue that it doesn't mean that he didn't rape her, but that's the justice system we have, in absence of a better solution. Consequently many will still believe he committed the crime even when he is found not guilty.

This low figure is criticised, unreported rapes are extrapolated, estimates are made and conclusions arrived at (as high as 1 in 6) by people who will necessarily have unconsious bias because they are trying to prove their own hypothesis.

Thus we can equally assume that the figure for prosecutions where the woman lied is also equally low for the same reason, and are only a result of the prosecution being unable to show conclusively that she was lying through her teeth.

Necessarily, if you are saying that the real number of rape victims (failing to obtain justice in a court) is much higher, you must also agree that the real number of malicious rape accusations must be significantly higher for the same reasons.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by SexiestNameEver
Can't believe this thread got more negs than the thread mentioning women are stupid, that thread actually got more positive than negs. What is life

Because that guy was trolling/joking and the OP in this thread is an extreme femenist hypocrite that makes me angry.
Original post by Michaelj
Because that guy was trolling/joking and the OP in this thread is an extreme femenist hypocrite that makes me angry.

She could be trolling also though.
Reply 87
Original post by Snagprophet
She could be trolling also though.

Then shes a very succesful troll who has a lot of time on her hands. Judging by her arguments I'd say she's legimate though.:rolleyes:
To be fair, if you want to make gender an issue, there's far more of a case to suggest the OPPOSITE. Crimes by women, against men, are usually laughed about. I have read numerous stories, in which a woman has assaulted a man, only to receive FAR less punishment, than would a man having assaulted a woman in similar a way. Women who kill their husbands seem always to claim domestic violence, with no proof seemingly necessary, in order to secure a lighter sentence. A woman killed her two children, and today escaped a prison sentence, on the grounds that she was suffering post-natal depression. Comments I've read in articles, seem to sympathise with her; would ANY type of mental illness invite such leniency, in the case of a MALE murderer of two children?

As for women who rape men, what sort of sentences do they get? Unless you can show that they receive harsher sentences (which I would bet my own life on, that the opposite is true), then your point is invalid. Rapists should get harsher sentences, yes; but so should most criminals. To suggest it's a gender issue in the way that you said, is not only invalid, but actually to suggest the OPPOSITE, to what the reality is.
Reply 89
There's a massive increase in rapes in Europe in the last decade and this is caused by Muslims. Britain, Sweden, Norway, France, everywhere is being effected. The sentencing rapists get in this country is a joke I read about some girl who was abducted and gang raped by Muslims and only got like 16 months in jail! surely abduction alone is enough for that.

Of course the politically correct media ignore it except for a few like Dailymail. Let them be offended it's the women who are the victims not bloody Muslims.
Original post by Jareth
There's a massive increase in rapes in Europe in the last decade and this is caused by Muslims. Britain, Sweden, Norway, France, everywhere is being effected. The sentencing rapists get in this country is a joke I read about some girl who was abducted and gang raped by Muslims and only got like 16 months in jail! surely abduction alone is enough for that.

Of course the politically correct media ignore it except for a few like Dailymail. Let them be offended it's the women who are the victims not bloody Muslims.

I love how he just changed this from being about gender to being about religion, in a single snap of his fingers. Oh how I love bigots. :rolleyes:
What about the pitiful sentences women get who lie about being raped and ruin mens lifes?? Oh why are men second class citizens?
Maybe rape isn't taken as seriously nowadays because some bimbo sluts say they've been raped after they've had a ONS and regretted it :rolleyes: It will pretty much always be one person's word over another (unless there is actual witnesses, CCTV etc. which would be rare) You can't go giving out 10 year sentences when you've only got the 'victim's' word on the matter. Sorry, but you can't.
Reply 93
Original post by eelnais
How on earth can men protect themselves during a rape? Always irritates me when people treat the rape of a man with far less serious consideration than the rape of a woman.

I think rape sentences should be much longer - serving ten years minimum, so I guess sentenced to twenty years.

I think if any grown man was raped by the opposite sex, I highly doubt they'll scurry to the police station and file a report.
Reply 94
Original post by 2ndClass
I think if any grown man was raped by the opposite sex, I highly doubt they'll scurry to the police station and file a report.

Man on man rape is far more common. Men just don't admit to it. It's the same with woman on man domestic violence, very few men come forward.
I could show you evidence to the opposite, that men are second class citizens.

You've got women committing violent racial assaults and getting away with it just because they have a child.
I dread to think what a man would get for violently attacking someone in a racially motivated assault.

But I can agree rape sentences are way too short. All sentences are way too short no matter what the crime. Rape should be a minimum of 20 years, same with violent assault. We should be building more prisons and it should be prisoners building them.
Reply 96
Look at this another asian grooming gang targeting white children. When are all these attacks on whites going to be considered racially motivated? Keith Vaz says they aren't motivated by race, but given it's easy for him to say when his daughters aren't being raped.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/10065538.Operation_Ribbon__Men_appear_before_court/
Original post by Hopple
Prison sentences are too short across the board, due to lack of prison space. Don't make this a men vs women thing when it's clearly not. In fact, it's wrong that you'd try and hijack an issue such as rape for a political agenda.

This agreed with 100%.

Women are anything but second class citizens in this country.

Yes there are still gender differences which are biological and practical fact or simple reality (try and bribe women into joining the army and see how well it's taken up...women in general have no interest in that career path, simple as), but this isn't the 1970s. For every so called damning evidence of endemic sexism (which is actually just a vestige/throwback) against women you can wave evidence of how women are being treated quite fairly, even positive discrimination.

As an example there are no debates and drives to get say, a higher percentage of gingers into political/government office, into business, etc.

When you are getting extra consideration not based on your merits but on an arbitrary feature of yourself which has no actual bearing on your ability to do something, you're doing pretty well.

Whether you agree 'positive' discrimination is a good or bad thing, a needed practicality or not, it's still to women's benefit.

Whoever is the UK's 'second class' citizenship, women as a whole are not it.
Reply 98
Original post by pinklego
the average sentence for rape in britain is just 7 years, but in reality because british justice essentially lies about the sentences it hands out 7 years actually means roughly 3 years.

now, i know some rape is hard to prove but let us just imagine we are talking about violent stranger on stranger rape which is beyond doubt. like this incident:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224814/Woman-raped-alley-stranger-night-sexually-assaulted-AGAIN-passer-lay-helpless.html

3 and half years for something as serious as rape is just beyond belief in a so called civilised society. in backward nations rape is not even considered a crime and sometimes the rape victim is blamed -- well, 3 and half years for rape is not too far off that level of insanity. you may as well just say to women that they should not go out at night because we don't care about your safety.

before people say tough sentences do not deter crime may i ask what they think would happen to rape rates if the sentence was just 1 year on average? 1 day? legalised? -- of course there is correlation between sentences are deterrence.

already there are 85,000 rapes a year in britain.

the facts are rape is the most serious breach of a womans rights and society needs to start reflecting this in how it treats rapists -- at the moment rapists get a slap on the wrist for this life ruining act of savagery.

this is the big womens rights issue that is being neglected.

edit:
i say this is a womens rights issue because the overwhelming majority of rape victims are women -- a lot of males on this thread are getting very angry and defensive about this issue.

yes, men can get raped. yes, all crime has very weak sentences -- but i believe that if women focus on this issue and demand tougher sentences then they will help all crime victims if average sentences are raised.

Rape should be an automatic life sentence. Parole should not be considered for at least 25 years.
any rapist who re offends should have their dick cut off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending