The Student Room Group

Why do we congratulate people for getting pregnant?

Surely getting laid in the first place is the hard part? Why don't people congratulate each other for that? Why don't we congratulate people for having sex WITHOUT getting pregnant?

Protection from contraceptives isn't guaranteed, everything from the condom to the pill to the coil have below 100% success rates, which tells me NOT getting pregnant is harder than getting pregnant.

I'm happy to congratulate people who wanted children but through medical issues, could not do so easily. I congratulate them, but everyone else...well, it doesn't require much effort does it?

There's 7 billion people on Earth and 8.7 million different species of animals on the planet, all specifically designed to impregnate or be impregnated. If you're a guy, you pass into this world through a vagina and ultimately, whether you believe in the meaning of life or not, your primary purpose is to try and get back in again. Applaud me when I make this happen.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree, but it's just protocol really. It's like asking somebody how they are, you don't give really give a **** and everybody knows it.
Reply 2
Original post by spiral87
Surely getting laid in the first place is the hard part? Why don't people congratulate each other for that? Why don't we congratulate people for having sex WITHOUT getting pregnant?

Protection from contraceptives isn't guaranteed, everything from the condom to the pill to the coil have below 100% success rates, which tells me NOT getting pregnant is harder than getting pregnant.

I'm happy to congratulate people who wanted children but through medical issues, could not do so easily. I congratulate them, but everyone else...well, it doesn't require much effort does it?

There's 7 billion people on Earth and 8.7 million different species of animals on the planet, all specifically designed to impregnate or be impregnated. If you're a guy, you pass into this world through a vagina and ultimately, whether you believe in the meaning of life or not, your primary purpose is to try and get back in again. Applaud me when I make this happen.

Thank you.

You are wishing someone well and rejoicing in their good fortune and sharing their happiness... you aren't appraising their skill in anything.

Pretty obvious really.
Reply 3
I see it on facebook all the time. Kids announcing their pregnant and everyone congratulating them. It's a ****ing joke. We should be condemning them. Why should people like myself have to deal with overpopulation when they are the inbreds creating this problem.
Having a child is a pretty big deal. I know it doesn't take much effort and, let's face it, on the whole it isn't exactly an unpleasant process (the getting pregnant bit I mean).. but it's congratulating them more on the concept of bringing a child into the world really. And politeness I suppose. If somebody is excited about something it's polite to say congratulations to them. Winning the lottery wouldn't take much effort, and you'd say congratulations about that, too (well I would anyway.. got to be nice to lottery winners).
Reply 5
Another thing, why does everyone post what they are doing on facebook? Didn't mummy and daddy give them enough attention or something?
Congratulations, someone came inside you! :gah:
Its more annoying when they actually have the baby and say "would you like to hold her?" Why the **** would I want to hold your child? Risk getting some kind of baby fluid on me, dropping it and the mother freaking out. The best possible outcome is it looks at you and you give it back.
Original post by genocidal
i agree, but it's just protocol really. It's like asking somebody how they are, you don't give really give a **** and everybody knows it.

lol! So true!
Reply 9
C Section
Reply 10
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Having a child is a pretty big deal.

Woah, I'll stop you there. It doesn't seem a bit deal to all these young mums who are having babies willy nilly all over the place.

Winning the lottery wouldn't take much effort, and you'd say congratulations about that, too (well I would anyway.. got to be nice to lottery winners).

A lottery win is a 1 in 13,983,815 chance. A baby is a 99.99999999% chance if you have unprotected sex.
Reply 11
Original post by Jason2
Another thing, why does everyone post what they are doing on facebook? Didn't mummy and daddy give them enough attention or something?

Along similar lines. Ultrasounds as Facebook profile pictures. I can't think of anything more...Actually, I'll just assign a sound to it. It sounds a bit like "UGH!", but coupled with dramatic gesticulating and facepalming.
Reply 12
Used colloquially, congratulations isn't always an expression of recognition of skill, talent or even luck. It is a generic offering of good wishes.

If the OP isn't aware of that then he must be autistic or something.
Woah, I'll stop you there. It doesn't seem a bit deal to all these young mums who are having babies willy nilly all over the place.

A lottery win is a 1 in 13,983,815 chance. A baby is a 99.99999999% chance if you have unprotected sex.

Well, contrary to what the media would have you believe, the majority of parents AREN'T immature kids who don't know what they're getting themselves into.

Also it is not that simple. Firstly, there are only 2-4 days out of 28 that it is possible for a woman to get pregnant (although some women's days aren't regulated which means it may be even more difficult), even if it IS possible, that's not to say that the sperm will even make it, and the chances of miscarrying in the first few days of pregnancy are super high- to the point that most women won't realise they'd been pregnant, they would have just assumed their period was a few days late.

Your fertility can be reduced further by things such as stress levels, weight, diet, overall health..

TL;DR It is absolutely not 99.999999% certain.

EDIT: About your comment about the lottery.. I would say the same if I heard someone had won a raffle or something.. it's just what you say!! Unsure why you're thinking into it so much.
(edited 11 years ago)

Thank you.

Because it's something to celebrate. Man, sometimes people on here over analyse everything and strip it down to it's bare 'logical', justifiable and evolutionary correct minimum. Loosen up! What's the deal if someone says congrats to someone pregnant?
Where I am from, the people who get pregnant are married are normally in their late 20s/early 30s and you say "congratulations" as the baby is a big deal to them.

It's not really difficult or controversial, so I fail to see the problem. :confused: It's just polite.

Thank you.

My 17 year old cousin recently announced the gender of her bump on Facebook. So far 132 have 'liked' the status. She's 17! :frown: It wouldn't surprise me if getting knocked up does turn out to be her greatest achievement.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Because it's something to celebrate. Man, sometimes people on here over analyse everything and strip it down to it's bare 'logical', justifiable and evolutionary correct minimum. Loosen up! What's the deal if someone says congrats to someone pregnant?

Exactly.
Reply 18
x

Well clearly my lack of sex education in school was a problem, I can't claim to have known all of that information. In fact I thought it was the other way round with periods and what not (only 2-4 days a cycle when you CAN'T get pregnant).

Still, there's no escaping the ease of getting pregnant, even if it's not mathematically certain. Even Africans in the middle of a famine manage to see through a pregnancy and then we have to pay £2 a month to give them clean water.
I think its actually something like a 60% chance if you have sex on the fertile days of your cycle that you will get pregnant - I don't know the exact maths.

So for those couples that are trying to have a baby, and have finally succeeded in doing something that they have been trying to acomplish - well that deserves a congratulations! If you were trying to do something for a few months, and only finally succeeded, you'd expect some kind of recognition!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending