The Student Room Group

Help With Owen Sheers Poem!

-For my English class I have to do a presentation on the poem 'Shadow Man' by Owen Sheers but really don't get it at all.:confused: Any ideas what the poem's about? Any suggestions at all would be a huge help.
His palette is light
in all its shades
and the holes it makes

conjuring with bulb,
fruit and a shock of grains
spilt across glass

a dog, resting or dead
a birds kinetic moment
in the second before flight

or Karl Marx's head
born from pebble and stone
into an absence of light

he works with darkness
behind his eyes
understanding as he does

that it's not matter that matters
or our thoughts and words
but the shadows they throw

against the lives of others

(Again ANYTHING you would say, will be helpful!)
Original post by Tori96
-For my English class I have to do a presentation on the poem 'Shadow Man' by Owen Sheers but really don't get it at all.:confused: Any ideas what the poem's about? Any suggestions at all would be a huge help.
His palette is light
in all its shades
and the holes it makes

conjuring with bulb,
fruit and a shock of grains
spilt across glass

a dog, resting or dead
a birds kinetic moment
in the second before flight

or Karl Marx's head
born from pebble and stone
into an absence of light

he works with darkness
behind his eyes
understanding as he does

that it's not matter that matters
or our thoughts and words
but the shadows they throw

against the lives of others

(Again ANYTHING you would say, will be helpful!)

Ok, I am currently studying this, and while this was posted a long time ago, I'm sure many people will find these notes useful.
Shadow Man is a poem about Mac Adams who was an artist famous for his innovate use of light.
'His palette is light' refers to the lightness of his work (working with shadow and light) but also the physical weightlessness of the palette he worked with,
Stanzas 2 and 3 describe M.A's personal works, which is where many people can think "What on earth is Sheers getting to here?" It's physically describing Mac Adam's artistry and creations/sculptures. For more ideas on the physicality of the sculptures, you can view them on google images.
The line 'He works with darkness' is Sheers way of saying that M.A's creates a companion in one of man's greatest fears, showing this man is semi-precious and incredibly interesting. The line 'It's not the matter that matters' refers to the poem 'Hill Fort' as well as to 'Night Windows'. Sheers is trying to saw the impact that we have on others, is the most important thing.
"But the shadows they throw" means that light cannot be picked up or mastered.

Mac Adams was a sculptor and photographer.

Hope this helps someone.
This is to students who are having difficulty understanding this poem. It was written about me. Mac Adams. I am a Welsh artist who works with light. Check out my web site it will answer all your questions. macadamsstudio.com
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending