The Student Room Group

English at Ex-Poly vs History Of Art at prestigious Uni? HELP

Hi all,

I am really needing some advice. I am at an ex-poly doing English,as i missed my first choice. However, I have the opportunity to transfer to my first choice. The issue is that my family think that I should stick to where I am because my course can lead to any sort of career, whilst History Of Art is weak,

Do you think doing the weaker subject (that i am passionate about) at a top uni is better than doing a strong subject like English at a weak ex-poly?

I am in such a dilemma about this, please help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Wrong forum.

get out of here right now.
Reply 2
Depends how prestigious it is.
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
Original post by Trottoir
Hi all,

I am really needing some advice. I am at an ex-poly doing English,as i missed my first choice. However, I have the opportunity to transfer to my first choice. The issue is that my family think that I should stick to where I am because my course can lead to any sort of career, whilst History Of Art is weak,

Do you think doing the weaker subject (that i am passionate about) at a top uni is better than doing a strong subject like English at a weak ex-poly?

I am in such a dilemma about this, please help.

It depends what you want to study really. Both are good general degrees that will help you get a graduate job. English may have more transferable skills - however you'll still be doing the close analysis and historical research to some extent in HOA.

I would probably swap to do History of Art (if it's a Russell group or something). You'll probably have more opportunities and a more all rounded university experience. As it's single honours you'll probably have opportunities to take modules outside of History Of Art anyway - so you could pick up some English electives.

Another option could be to drop out now and reapply for next year to a joint honours perhaps? You could go to your top choice Uni but with the grade requirements of the History of Art course (English Literature and History of Art BA) which would give you the best of both worlds! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by arty
It depends what you want to study really. Both are good general degrees that will help you get a graduate job. English may have more transferable skills - however you'll still be doing the close analysis and historical research to some extent in HOA.

I would probably swap to do History of Art (if it's a Russell group or something). You'll probably have more opportunities and a more all rounded university experience. As it's single honours you'll probably have opportunities to take modules outside of History Of Art anyway - so you could pick up some English electives.

Another option could be to drop out now and reapply for next year to a joint honours perhaps? You could go to your top choice Uni but with the grade requirements of the History of Art course (English Literature and History of Art BA) which would give you the best of both worlds! :smile:

Thanks so much for your advice. Unfortunately, there aren't many joint honour courses for those particular subjects :frown:
Reply 6
Thanks so much for your advice. Unfortunately, there aren't many joint honour courses for those particular subjects :frown:

I've come across plenty! Various universities offer the combination including: Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, York, Leeds, Nottingham, Birmingham, Leicester, Hull, Reading, Oxford Brookes, Sussex etc Maybe Newcastle - I know they used to offer it.

There are probably more - they're all listed in the UCAS course search.

I was torn between the two subjects - so have opted for the joint honours. They seem to compliment each other well.
It's likely you'll be able to drop one anyway if you weren't enjoying it.
Reply 7
Original post by arty
I've come across plenty! Various universities offer the combination including: Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, York, Leeds, Nottingham, Birmingham, Leicester, Hull, Reading, Oxford Brookes, Sussex etc Maybe Newcastle - I know they used to offer it.

There are probably more - they're all listed in the UCAS course search.

I was torn between the two subjects - so have opted for the joint honours. They seem to compliment each other well.
It's likely you'll be able to drop one anyway if you weren't enjoying it.

woah i just checked out nottingham! i didnt know they existed! thanks so much. im amazed.
Reply 8
woah i just checked out nottingham! i didnt know they existed! thanks so much. im amazed.

Not a problem :smile: !

Quick Reply

Latest