The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

People in Swansea and Wales in general

Hey,

i just talked to a guy living in London about Swansea and Wales, he said Welsh people are racists and its not a place for immigrants and that i should re-think my choice. Is there some merit to his point?
Reply 1
Absolutely not, you'll get the odd racist wherever you go but there are a fair few international students in Swansea and the two I know don't have any issues (I know two isn't a lot though :colondollar: )
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by s11xoena
Hey,

i just talked to a guy living in London about Swansea and Wales, he said Welsh people are racists and its not a place for immigrants and that i should re-think my choice. Is there some merit to his point?

Sounds to me like this man is a racist himself, against the Welsh. I have never heard such rubbish in my life. Swansea is a multicultural city and the University is renowned for being one of the most multicultural campus' in the UK. It's international program is one of the best! I have lived in Swansea almost my entire life, and attended Swansea University to do my undergraduate degree, and it a rare thing to hear of racist attacks or remarks.

I find it totally ridiculous that you would take a remark by one man about an entire nation of people seriously enough to actually ask a question on about it. There are racists in Wales, of course, but no more than in England.
Original post by s11xoena
Hey,

I'm from Cardiff which isn't the Welshiest place in Wales but I've never noticed any racial prejudice. No different to that in England. And Swansea uni has loads of international students, so that guy is just assuming that Wales is the back of beyond and the Welsh out of touch ignorant idiots.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I've been in Swansea for a few months and I've seem nothing to support your friends point of view.
Nonsense, I live there, I'm certainly not racist and there are people of all ethnicities at the university. :smile:
Wales is really welcoming, you'd have a lovely time! :biggrin: (I hope :smile: )
In my experience visiting Cardiff, I found the people to be quite unfriendly and racist towards the English, although I cannot speak for all of Wales, or for Swansea in particular. Unless by immigrant you mean from outside the British isles, where they will probably behave better towards you, so that it outwardly appears that they are tolerant... Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
This is just like me saying I found the people in Bristol to be rude towards me because I am Welsh. It's just that they are rude, not that they are racist. Cardiff isn't even made up of mostly Welsh people, the majority of people living there are other nationalities.

Quick Reply

Latest