The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

The University of Manchester - Student Life

Hiya Everyone,

I am planning on applying to The University of Manchester and I am wondering how the student life is going to be there. Could be very helpful. Thank you.
Heyy :smile: I'm applying there too. I have friends at Manchester already - I've been out with them a few times - and I also go there a lot for shopping ect. Student life is ace! It caters for everyone, whatever your interests are. There are plenty of shops, yet I think lack of money will prevent major shopping trips. Loads of different people to meet which is great too. The city is quite big, and sometimes pretty busy, but it's nowhere near as busy as London. Transport links are ace from the student village in Fallowfield to the campus, as buses run every minute. So all in all, I'd say student life was pretty good in Manchester :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I am really looking forward to visiting Manchester and the university soon. I am currently living in London and I have heard some great stories.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by farid11
I am really looking forward to visiting Manchester and the university soon. I am currently living in London and I have heard some great stories.

You should visit! It is beautiful - the buildings are wonderful. It's a perfect mix of old and new :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by farid11

Same here, I have a friend who goes to a Manchester Met and he says Manchester is a great city to live in and the student life is crazy (his words not mine, lol)

Reply 5
I'm a fresher at the moment and really enjoying it so far. Uni campus is easy to get to and get around if you're in student accommodation. Everyone's been really nice and friendly and the city's great. So many different clubs and places to go out which are easy to get to, fallowfield campus has loads of bars and smallish clubs nearby which are a few minutes walk away or you can get a bus in towards the city where all the bigger clubs are (and if you get a bus pas which you almost certainatly will have to it's easy to get to and from and buses run all night and day) Everyone in my accomadations really social, everyone mixing between the difderent flats+ block and loads of partys. But thats not your kind of thing the campuses in Victoria park and City are quieter and less intense from people ive talked to.

Good city with loads of shops and massive shopping centre which is really easy to get to on the bus!
Hi!

I'm an international student from the Philippines and I've just sent my application via UCAS for 2013 entry. Will (Hopefully) be doing Computer Science. Anyone here doing the same course?
I'm in Victoria Park and it's still really good for social stuff. Slem's cellar club (part of St Anselms Hall but accessible to everyone in VP) holds regular socials, had a pretty decent Halloween party as well as army pub crawls, uv parties etc. Plus a double vodka mixer's £1.80. What more do you want?
I'm in Canterbury Court and it's quite nice being able to go out in Fallowfield (within easy walking distance)/city centre (short bus ride) and come back to a relatively quiet place (though not necessarily at the weekend :P).
S'easy to walk to the uni as well :smile:

Reply 8
What's the cheapest way to get to Manchester from London with a reasonable time.

Reply 9
Original post by Rejiaku
What's the cheapest way to get to Manchester from London with a reasonable time.

Megabus is your cheapest bet, it costs from anywhere between £8 and £18 and takes around 4/5 hours, if you're looking super quick i.e back in a day the train from euston to Manchester takes 2 hours 10 minutes and with a railcard, usually costs me about £25.
Reply 10
Original post by tillytots
Megabus is your cheapest bet, it costs from anywhere between £8 and £18 and takes around 4/5 hours, if you're looking super quick i.e back in a day the train from euston to Manchester takes 2 hours 10 minutes and with a railcard, usually costs me about £25.

Mega bus always operates at the times that are not convenient for me. National Rail is good WITH a railcard which I haven't got and without its like £57 or £148 return ticket....buying two singles will be better I think.

Original post by Rejiaku
Mega bus always operates at the times that are not convenient for me. National Rail is good WITH a railcard which I haven't got and without its like £57 or £148 return ticket....buying two singles will be better I think.

If you think you will spend £84 or more over the course of the next 12 months on train tickets, then it's worth buying a railcard, because they're £28 and give a third off all railfares. You can either order one online or buy one at the ticket office of your local train station (although you'll need ID and a passport sized photo for the latter).

National Express has a similar scheme - the young person's coachcard.
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you think you will spend £84 or more over the course of the next 12 months on train tickets, then it's worth buying a railcard, because they're £28 and give a third off all railfares. You can either order one online or buy one at the ticket office of your local train station (although you'll need ID and a passport sized photo for the latter).

National Express has a similar scheme - the young person's coachcard.

I might just purchase the 16-25 railcard, it's much easier. Thank you so much for your help, it was much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending