The Student Room Group

Do you regret any of your A Level Options?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I regret not taking physics and further maths.
I regret taking biology because, well I hate it, and a bit of psychology because of the essays our teachers make us do

Me too. i plan to apply to LSE and half way through my course i found out that many of my seniors who've gotten offers are the one doing the subjects physics, math, further and economics.
Reply 81
This is good information.
I've found I don't actually REGRET any of my choices, because in all truth I love all the subjects I did- English lit, Spanish, Economics and Geography; I'm just gutted that due to a family crisis I totally flunked my AS Spanish and got a D (even though I got full marks on the speaking.. yeah.) but I did pretty well otherwise (AAB). I guess the only other thing I regret is not taking Art.. Honest to God one of the only things that makes me happy. I'm actually on an art scholarship at my school but I don't take art... 0 logic, I know. I really, really, miss art.

I'm going to go drown my sorrows with watercolour paints now.
I don't regret any of my choices per se, however I would've loved to do Further Maths last year as well (I took it as an AS this year). It would've helped a lot for my uni applications and my work load this year is astonishing. Still managed to get an interview for Imperial though :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by stephtan21
I'm taking 4 now, accounting, math, business and economics. Accounting is a pain but many universities do want 4 subjects don't they? leaves me no choice to but complete it i guess. but then again if i keep continuing a subject i didn't enjoy, it might pull my scores down at the other subjects no?

Hmmm... Couldn't you have picked a different contrasting subject?

Either way, if you think you can get an A. Drop it after AS I think.
Reply 85
Further Maths was a huge mistake; I took it because I did well at GCSE, not because I have an interest in maths; which I think was my mistake. It put me under so much stress and I ended up devoting a disproportional amount of time on it only to go and get an E in it. -sigh-
Reply 86
ICT, It is without a doubt the most boring piece of rubbish ever. Tedious coursework, boring lessons that make you want to fall asleep within the first fifteen minutes. Memorizing mark schemes and doing past papers to death, only to find out that they put three questions in the exam which have not once been in the previous five past papers. It is because of this that i missed out on twelve marks on the exam and somehow still managed to get a C. :cool: Like a boss.
Original post by h-g-1
I regretted English - I didn't enjoy it ever. I got an A in it at GCSE but decided that because I wanted to do Law, I needed an essay subject and a traditional one at that. Bear in mind that I already had History, taking English was just silly.

I realised I hate talking about themes, I hate analysing language, I hate poems, I disliked breaking down structures of sentences and words, especially when studying Shakespeare. Because of this I disliked it, I didn't have the motivation to memorise enough quotes which in turn meant I didn't have much original thought in exams. I got a B at A2 but to be honest, it was a comfortable B and not a borderline "Oh, it could be an A with one more mark".

So, if you don't like philosophical ponderings of analysing what certain texts are / are not saying and having to form your own opinion on such pieces then don't take English. :smile:

This, my decision was swayed by one really good teacher I had at GCSE who then left before I started A Levels. Realised I absolutely hated it but had to keep going at A2 as I got a crap mark in History, bad times! Really wish I had taken French instead.
I'm taking 4 now, accounting, math, business and economics. Accounting is a pain but many universities do want 4 subjects don't they? leaves me no choice to but complete it i guess. but then again if i keep continuing a subject i didn't enjoy, it might pull my scores down at the other subjects no?

No they absolutely do not. If your school has told you that, they have no clue what they are talking about. I assume you're talking about at A2 though?
Me too. i plan to apply to LSE and half way through my course i found out that many of my seniors who've gotten offers are the one doing the subjects physics, math, further and economics.

I was just annoyed because physics was my best science, yet I didn't choose it, and I'm finding maths extremely easy, and everybody says they find further pure easier than C1
History. I didn't like it at GCSE, it was one of my weaker subjects and it was far less useful for my uni application than Chemistry would've been. Why did I ever think it was a good idea?

I also dropped IT after a fortnight of AS and switched to French :s-smilie: My choices really were crap.
Biology. Hated it sooooooo much. I managed to get a C at the end of AS in it. Unit 1 D. unit 2 D. Unit 3 was the ISA. I got an A(through cheating).
I should have have picked physics instead of biology. I just don't know what possessed me to take it for AS level. I had to do the biology core science GCSE exam 3 times. first time D. 2nd borderline C. 3rd was a B. 1 mark on an A.
I just didn't realise that I should not take a subject for A level that I had to resit the same exam 3 times at GCSE level.
Loved all of my choices; Music AS was the toughest hence I dropped it after a year - I was good at performing but very weak at the theory side and so-so on composing.

Maybe I should have done Music Tech instead; that looked so cool!
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I regret Physics!

What's wrong with Physics? :redface:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm sensing a French hate vibe :s-smilie:

I want to do A Levels in:
Maths & History(doing this year)
F.Mathematics
Chemistry
Physics
French

:redface:

French is awesome :P, but sadly I didn't take it to A Level so I can't really comment on it :frown:.
I regret choosing English Lit over physics. I got an A in English Lit but i was really good at physics and really enjoyed it at GCSE's. The only reason i chose English lit was because i planned on applying to UCL for medicine (they give a slight preference to those with a contrasting art subject) but i ended up not applying and although english lit is fun I will always wonder what i would have gotten if i chose physics instead
Original post by GeneralOJB
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry. No, don't regret it at all, all ridiculously easy.

Just wait till next year... :colone:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
What's wrong with Physics? :redface:

It just wasn't what I expected it to be. It is interesting, but so hard! I wish I'd chosen Welsh instead.
Reply 98
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
French is awesome :P, but sadly I didn't take it to A Level so I can't really comment on it :frown:.

:lol: can't wait :biggrin:
Original post by Holby_fanatic
It just wasn't what I expected it to be. It is interesting, but so hard! I wish I'd chosen Welsh instead.

Oh right what exam board were you for Physics? And what did you get in GCSE Maths/Physics if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest