The Student Room Group

worried about my chance of getting into uni

The unis I want to go to, have just updated they grades need for course on there sities. Now I feel my chances are low, as they up the grades boundary and I don't think I stand a chance now, as i didn't do brillantly on my BTEC National Diploma in public service only getting MMP. I want to do a physical Education degree with or without QTS. I Only have around 200 ucas points and the uni have put there tariff up to 260. Am 24 and have work experience of sports coaching and ppa cover in primary school with 3 sports coaching Qualification with one being a Level 2 NGB Basketball Coach. I spoke to one uni before they up the grades on there site and was told with my 5 GCSE at grade C. That I would be considered for the course. But now am really worried that i won't get into any of my courses, as two were a long shot and the other two I had hope with but now am not so sure. I applied a few years back to uni for a policing course and got into three unis but didn't go. I gone from job to job and the only thing I know work wise that i enjoy doing is teaching sports to kids. I want to do this full time in secondarys but only just realised how much I want it but am low grade in my BTEC may now stop my chances, of being able to study this coming year. Also what doesn't help is i had a hard time getting a reference sorted, now just waiting for it to be done and sent. I do sports and also do volunteering with the army cadet force. What do you think am chances are of getting in?
Your work experience will certainly help. Why not apply and see what happens? What have you got to lose?
Reply 2
Original post by lozzielizzie
What do you think am chances are of getting in?

As an older applicant (hope that doesn't make you feel old!) your work experience and other elements of your application are likely to be considered more significant than your UCAS points. No guarantees, but if you want to do it then the only thing you can do is apply and hope for the best. With the deadline approaching, I'd make sure you get a bit of help with your UCAS application and then do that. I would have thought QTS status would be key though, without that I would have thought job wise it's going to be much more difficult?

If you're absolutely committed to getting in, even if it's not this year, then there's always the option of taking some adult education courses this year to clock up some extra UCAS points and strengthen your application, and then if you don't get in you can reapply next year.
Reply 3
Am hoping my experience will help, I got two course of 4 years with QTS, and three with three year course where I would need to do postgraduate year to get QTS.Am applying for two different course at one uni, one 4 years with QTS and the other three years and have do to a postgraduate. So am hopeful, i'll get at least one of the five. You never know last time I applied all my course were 240 points and i got in three out of four. The only reason I didn't get into one was i couldn't go for an interview, the others I got unconditional offers but decided not to go and do policing courses. Wish I thought about applying for the pe course then instead.
Reply 4
You have all those qualifications and you are worried of getting into a university.
I will never get into a university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Am not worried about getting in, am worried I won't get in.
Original post by lozzielizzie
The unis I want to go to, have just updated they grades need for course on there sities. Now I feel my chances are low, as they up the grades boundary and I don't think I stand a chance now, as i didn't do brillantly on my BTEC National Diploma in public service only getting MMP. I want to do a physical Education degree with or without QTS. I Only have around 200 ucas points and the uni have put there tariff up to 260. Am 24 and have work experience of sports coaching and ppa cover in primary school with 3 sports coaching Qualification with one being a Level 2 NGB Basketball Coach. I spoke to one uni before they up the grades on there site and was told with my 5 GCSE at grade C. That I would be considered for the course. But now am really worried that i won't get into any of my courses, as two were a long shot and the other two I had hope with but now am not so sure. I applied a few years back to uni for a policing course and got into three unis but didn't go. I gone from job to job and the only thing I know work wise that i enjoy doing is teaching sports to kids. I want to do this full time in secondarys but only just realised how much I want it but am low grade in my BTEC may now stop my chances, of being able to study this coming year. Also what doesn't help is i had a hard time getting a reference sorted, now just waiting for it to be done and sent. I do sports and also do volunteering with the army cadet force. What do you think am chances are of getting in?

At 24 your considered a mature student by the university and as a mature student they take experience in to consideration so I'd say your chances are pretty good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending