The Student Room Group

How do i tell my gf she needs to lose weight?

Scroll to see replies

If you're embarrassed then don't go out with her O.o... If you truly love her then accept her how she is.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by sophisticated
For some reason I can't quote Cephalus , but I don't quite understand what his point is :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think his point is that you're an angry female or something. That's what I got anyway.
Reply 82
Man, you could play misogyny bingo with some of the posts in this thread. (and roll in the downvotes for that comment, I'm sure)

Regardless, OP, even if it wasn't pretty gross that you felt the need to tell your GF what to do with her body, it's certainly sickening that it's just because you're shallow and see her as a status symbol.

Answer: you don't. You work on your issues, because that's the problem here. :rolleyes:
Reply 83
just tell her straight, I hinted at mine and it didn't go well
Reply 84
I'm really looking forward to the day in 10-15 years time when OP (and all the other boys on here who find it personally insulting when their gf put on a pound or two) is happily married to the love of his life and they are having children. And OP is worried about an extra pound or two?!

Guys and girls, enjoy the lovely slim weights that you are now, and please don't spend all your time wanting you or your lover to be slimmer. In a decade's time your metabolism will slow down, your lifestyles will be much more sedentary and you'll only be able to dream of being the weight that you used to be at university :biggrin: Enjoy what you've got while it lasts!
Reply 85
For some reason I can't quote Cephalus , but I don't quite understand what his point is :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I can often transcend quotes.

And its just you sounded bitter thats all
Reply 86
Lol it's really easy dude!

If you're reading this just introduce her to me as a friend. I'm a personal trainer.

Then I'll work my magic, I'll tell her what I do etc & I'll say something which makes her feel like going to the gym without mentioning weight :smile:

Matter done

Reply 87
Oh & I'm serious...no better way around it, I've helped many girls out and I've never told them I think you need to lose weight

Original post by Cephalus
Yes I can often transcend quotes.

And its just you sounded bitter thats all

Well I'm not bitter, and that doesn't transcend the fact that I have a valid point.

You sound like the OP.

Go figure. My initial post should help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Some of the comments in here are ridiculous.

Fair enough if a girlfriend/boyfriend has put weight on, and it's affecting their health, you should try to do something about it. You should tell them because you're worried about their health and their life. But wanting them to lose weight because you're embarrassed to show her to your friends? Seriously? That is all kinds of wrong.
If you're embarrassed about a few extra pounds, then you really need to grow up a little and get out of that relationship. From the OP's words, it just sounds like the girlfriend is a little bigger than what most people would class as being 'thin'...
Reply 90
I read this thinking that maybe you wanted her to lose weight because of health issues.

Maybe you should reconsider the people you call your friends. If they are judging your gf on how she looks rather than if she makes you happy then they're clearly not very good friends, are they?
Reply 91
In my opinion this is totally justified, he entered the relationship with a good looking, thin person, who has subsequently failed to look after herself for her partners sake, which to me is unacceptable, if I were you I would make jokes about it, do it in a lighthearted way and not too often, just from time to time and definitely not around other people, you dont want to publicly embarrass her, and she should start to notice that she has changed and that you have noticed, and she should try to remedy this

Reply 92
Alternatively just start working out really hard yourself and she will realise that body image is important to you, and if she cares enough about your opinion should start to do the same

Reply 93
You're a prick OP
Cursh DNP in her breakfast every morning and i guarantee u that she will lose around 5 pounds over the next few weeks
Reply 95
Well I'm not bitter, and that doesn't transcend the fact that I have a valid point.

You sound like the OP.

Go figure. My initial post should help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as you would like to believe that this doesn't in real life, it actually does. More than you think.
Reply 96
To everyone saying he is a dick, what would you say if his girlfriend had started off as hot but nice and turned into a bitch, this is exactly the same except it is her body changing not her personality and he has the right to be just as upset by it, you're making it a total double standard

Reply 97
Original post by Gregheis
To everyone saying he is a dick, what would you say if his girlfriend had started off as hot but nice and turned into a bitch, this is exactly the same except it is her body changing not her personality and he has the right to be just as upset by it, you're making it a total double standard

You'd dump her if she started being a bitch for no apparent valid reason and started attacking you.

If you love her for who she is when she gains weight you will stay with her and appreciate what you have rather than being selfish and bitter.
Reply 98
I am no expert but go for a romantic walks and a cross every morning. Good for health and hm... problem you somehow feel is more important than feelings..
Reply 99
Original post by Robbie242
You'd dump her if she started being a bitch for no apparent valid reason and started attacking you.

If you love her for who she is when she gains weight you will stay with her and appreciate what you have rather than being selfish and bitter.

Hmmm, you see there you just took what I said and said I was wrong with no justification, this is not really how discussions are meant to work, I had a reasoned point and you simply stated otherwise, please back up your assertions with either logic or evidence...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending