The Student Room Group

Can a disabled student sit an A-Level exam from home with an exam nvigilator present?

I will be sitting January A Level exams as a private candidate in January with Edexcel,
But was wondering if it has every been possible for a disabled student to sit their exams from home and just pay the necessary fees for an exam invigilator to be present?

I called edexcel and they said to speak to a college - but they are closed for half-term

i know this is a big ask, but due to the nature of my illness, i know how negatively it affects me travelling and sitting in a exam hall.

and by sitting the exam from the comfort of my home would place me more on an even playing field - with regards to mental state due to environment
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by at12
I will be sitting January A Level exams as a private candidate in January with Edexcel,
But was wondering if it has every been possible for a disabled student to sit their exams from home and just pay the necessary fees for an exam invigilator to be present?

I called edexcel and they said to speak to a college - but they are closed for half-term

i know this is a big ask, but due to the nature of my illness, i know how negatively it affects me travelling and sitting in a exam hall.

and by sitting the exam from the comfort of my home would place me more on an even playing field - with regards to mental state due to environment

The Equality Act requires examiners to make reasonable adjustments where a disabled person would be at a substantial disadvantage in undertaking an assessment. I've heard of students taking exams in their hospital bed but never from home. That's not to say it's impossible but you'd have to talk to the exams officer at the centre where you plan to be a private candidate who would then look into your specific circumstances. Even though the rules may allow it there's no guarantee that the centre will want to organise it.

Info on access arragements here:
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration
I was given that option at GCSE so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to at A-level. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by at12

Yes, it is perfectly possible if it is the only feasible option and you live within an easy hour of the centre. I have arranged exams at home, in hospital and in a young offenders institute for students. You need to talk to the exams officer at your centre about it. It will be a real pain in the neck for him to organise - it isn't just the cost of the invigilator, but the paperwork to get permission for it so you will have to pay a far bit for it. Also, they may have reservations about sending a lone invigilator if you are under 18 and so may require a parent to be present.
Reply 4
thanks for the replies, thats great its a possibility,

does anyone have any tips or things to quote (ideally from a exam body) to the exams officer when i enquire about this?

i dont want to call them and for them just to say 'no you cant'.

im paying £60 per exam (90 minutes each paper) to use the centres facilities, so surely asking for an invigilator to travel 5 minutes down the road and sit in someones house won't cost more?

- also as i may need a writer to fill in the maths exam, due to problems with hands after writing a while, the invigilator could help there too
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by at12
thanks for the replies, thats great its a possibility,

does anyone have any tips or things to quote (ideally from a exam body) to the exams officer when i enquire about this?

i dont want to call them and for them just to say 'no you cant'.

im paying £60 per exam (90 minutes each paper) to use the centres facilities, so surely asking for an invigilator to travel 5 minutes down the road and sit in someones house won't cost more?

- also as i may need a writer to fill in the maths exam, due to problems with hands after writing a while, the invigilator could help there too

The chances are that the price you paid only covers for you being in a room with 29 other people, sharing an invigilator. It will definitely cost extra to have your own who has to travel to get to you.

If you do need an amanuensis (often called a scribe) then that is not allowed to be the same person as the invigilator, so would cost more again. It also would require evidence you need an amanuensis and more paperwork to get permission, which adds to the cost even more. However, if fatigue is your problem then what you ought to be requesting is rest breaks, not a scribe. This requires far less proof and doesn't need a second person. The regulations are common to all exams boards and set by JCQ - the documents you may need to read are ICE and the Access Arrangements Regulations.

I have only arranged to take papers off site for centre candidates and when there really has been no choice if the exam is going to happen. It requires paperwork to get permission and extra care and oversight - it's not difficult but it's just trouble you don't want when you may have 300 other candidates doing other stuff and it uses up a competent invigilator as you wouldn't risk sending one of the less experienced ones out without support. If you have paid to be a private candidate and not mentioned any of this until now then I imagine that the exams officer is going to be fairly grumpy that you are now asking for special arrangements. It's one of the reason why centres don't want the hassle of private candidates as they spring surprises like this after you have accepted them. I know I sound grumpy and unsympathetic, but I am trying to make you understand how the EO will feel. Your best chance is to convince him that you are not just being a pain and that medically you need to be at home - the compromise might be to pay to be in a room by yourself at the centre. As you don't explain your medical issue I don't know if that would help. I've put a girl with ME in a room with a bed as a lone candidate before.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest