The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices... (For Medicine)

I want to do Medicine at University so, I am definitely going to take Biology and Chemistry however, what else do you recommend I take at A-Level... I am sort of unsure now... All I know is that I am definitely NOT doing Maths...

Scroll to see replies

oh well most of my friends who are going to do medicine are doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics... I've heard variations too, some including maths, further maths, chemistry and physics... but they do all include maths!
I am not a medic, far from it! but from what I have heard and read on here, you do not need maths for medicine, or certainly not for the majority of unis. A few, I think cambridge but not 100%, require 3 sciences including maths.

Pick Biology, chemistry and two other subjects you like and are academic - physics if you like it, languages, english, history, geography, economics, philosophy. Philosophy + ethics or Religious studies may be useful for the whole moral and ethical side of medicine. But pick what you like. :smile:
Do whatever else you think you'd like, personally I'd recommend Psychology as there are some parts relevant to medicine.

As said before you don't need to do maths or physics, but having either of those at an A grade can be a life saver if you screw up in biology.
Reply 4
Bio+chem+maths(+further maths and/or physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're taking Biology and Chemistry. That's the important bit. Since you're adamant about not taking Maths, I don't recommend taking Physics - anyone who took Physics in my year who hated Maths performed poorly at Physics(this might be different for you, I'm just talking from experience). Just take whatever you enjoy, English literature is a good choice if you enjoy it, it's well respected and gives you a wide variety of skills, same with History, Psychology, etc.
I do bio, chem, physics and French :smile: Just applied, there are a few unis like UCL where a contrasting subject is like because it shows breadth or something like that, so if you like something else like a language then take it if you think you'll do well :smile:
Reply 7
Go to the university websites and check their entry requirements. See what they want. If you don't have it, you won't get on the course. It's pretty much as simple as that.

Math does seem like a popular candidate, but I think some people have made it through without needing it. It probably depends on which field of medicine you want to go into. The university will be able to tell you what you need.

If they don't specify, find something interesting to do. But email them anyway and just ask that your combination of subjects will work for the course.
Why not Maths?

Other than that I would suggest Physics, Geology, Engineering, Electronics, Further Chemistry, English Lit, Psychology, Sociology, History

All of which are respected subjects and are suitable for Medicine.
I am applying for medicine this year, and have taken Biology, Chemistry and Economics :smile:
I emailed to double check and nearly all unis (bar cambridge) are fine with it
You don't need maths for medicine and most unis won't accept further maths as a separate subject. If you don't want to do maths I advise against physics because a lot of it is maths especially A2. You can do any two other hard subjects like languages, psychology, history, english etc. I would avoid the less traditional subjects like art or business/ accounting because a lot of unis aren't fond of them. Pick what you're best at so long as you don't hate it because it's the grades that count at the end of the day not what 3rd/4th subject you do.
Reply 11
Original post by Hippokrates
You don't need maths for medicine and most unis won't accept further maths as a separate subject. If you don't want to do maths I advise against physics because a lot of it is maths especially A2. You can do any two other hard subjects like languages, psychology, history, english etc. I would avoid the less traditional subjects like art or business/ accounting because a lot of unis aren't fond of them. Pick what you're best at so long as you don't hate it because it's the grades that count at the end of the day not what 3rd/4th subject you do.

I disagree, not having maths puts you at a huge disadvantage to people with it, especially when the course is so competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Khari Douglas
I disagree, not having maths puts you at a huge disadvantage to people with it, especially when the course is so competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really maths isn't that relevant to medicine. Yes it's a hard respected subject but not doing it won't affect your chances. Are you applying to medicine what stage are you at?
Not having maths WON'T put you at a disadvantage. It's much better to choose something you're good at/enjoy.
As long as you keep biology and chemistry, you're good to go.
However, I would recommend taking a more 'respected' subject such as literature, history, french, geography, even psychology etc. opposed to photography, media etc. Just my two cents.
While I think maths would be an advantage (I just thought it helped a little with A2 chem), there's no point you taking it if you don't like it/struggle with it, and you won't really be at a disadvantage when you apply. If you don't like maths, I wouldn't take physics either. "Traditional" subjects (eg. english/history/languages/humanities, etc.) would be a good third choice and when you apply you'll have to be tactical, ie. avoid certain Cambridge colleges. hth :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
You defiantly need Biology and chemistry, but you should also take an art such as History to A2 as your 3rd subject, and Physics to AS to show your clever.
Original post by Rory456
You defiantly need Biology and chemistry, but you should also take an art such as History to A2 as your 3rd subject, and Physics to AS to show your clever.

You don't need an art subject or physics. I personally think if you don't like maths you won't enjoy a lot of psychics because there's so many calculations.
Reply 17
Original post by Khari Douglas

Posted from TSR Mobile

And your evidence for this is...?

OP, if you want to apply to Cambridge, you need to take either Physics or Maths to at least AS level. If you don't, then take 2 other academic subjects that you enjoy and that you will get an A in.
What about a language? I'm choosing a levels atm and am seriously considering doing maths, further maths, bio, chem and german.
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
What about a language? I'm choosing a levels atm and am seriously considering doing maths, further maths, bio, chem and german.

Yeah a language is good, god only knows why you want to do further maths though. Make sure you apply to a med school which actually sees it as a separate subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending