The Student Room Group

QTS numeracy key skills test - help and advice

Just wondering, what materials are you allowed for the QTS numeracy key skills test? Would you be allowed scrap paper to jot down ideas/worked out answers :confused: ?

Taking my test in 3 weeks and have the "how to pass QTS Numeracy and Literacy Skills Tests" but would really appreciate any help and advice at all.

Scroll to see replies

I'm wondering this too! Really scared :s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Hi, I took mine today and you're allowed a whiteboard and pen, which they supply you with :smile:
Original post by trosgal
Hi, I took mine today and you're allowed a whiteboard and pen, which they supply you with :smile:

Oh ok, that's better than nothing :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by trosgal

hi would you be able to tell me how many are we allowed to get wrong? i passed the literacy and we can get 11 wrong in that. im crap at maths i dont know when to use the right method. and in the practice test can u see your what u got at the end? i can just see what i got right and wrong i cant seem to get a score.
Reply 5
Original post by AKILAH
hi would you be able to tell me how many are we allowed to get wrong? i passed the literacy and we can get 11 wrong in that. im crap at maths i dont know when to use the right method. and in the practice test can u see your what u got at the end? i can just see what i got right and wrong i cant seem to get a score.

the pass rate is 63% so thats about 10 wrong out of 28. but the pass rate can change. also, someone said they have raised the pass rate very slightly since the new rule about passing before starting your university course, but this may just be rumours?
Reply 6
Original post by LucyDavies123
the pass rate is 63% so thats about 10 wrong out of 28. but the pass rate can change. also, someone said they have raised the pass rate very slightly since the new rule about passing before starting your university course, but this may just be rumours?

that sounds good as im really really really bad at mental arithmetic im just not fast enough. ill have to skip the first section ovbiously guna try them but try get all the second section right... its a big risky gamble.
Reply 7
Original post by AKILAH
that sounds good as im really really really bad at mental arithmetic im just not fast enough. ill have to skip the first section ovbiously guna try them but try get all the second section right... its a big risky gamble.

If you are going on this theory you only need to get one in the mental arithmetic section and ALL of the second section correct. I did mine yesterday and completely focused on it.. I passed.. with shock! then I did my literacy straight after and missed out by 1 stupid mark!! (it tells you at the end) Good luck!
Reply 8
Hi guys I have tried several times for my L2 numeracy in order to gain my teaching qual but unfortunately have kept failing I am just no good at numbers lol I believe I can gain an interim award if I can't achieve the required numeracy but can anyone advise me if I will qualify for my teaching cert as I completed all modules over a two year period and passed any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 9
Patsharp,

If you no good at numbers, i believe just practice will help a lot.. try www.calculationrankings.com.

there you should solve as many questions within 120sec. You will see that you will become faster and faster!

Gl with your L2 numeracy!

Greetz Zibby
Reply 10
New to this. Just failed my maths qts and very fed up. Told I was 5 marks away from pass mark. I practised for 5 weeks and in all the practise test I was passing quite easily. Has anyone else experienced any technical problems with how their test was scored? I think I will make an appeal but good to hear if anyone else has done this.
Reply 11
I've failed mine twice now and have one more chance :frown:

I also have done well on all the practice tests but I think you start to remember the answers!

I panic when I get in the room and forget the methods and my mind goes blank! i just don't think there is enough practice materials
Reply 12
Original post by mikeku
new to this. Just failed my maths qts and very fed up. Told i was 5 marks away from pass mark. I practised for 5 weeks and in all the practise test i was passing quite easily. Has anyone else experienced any technical problems with how their test was scored? I think i will make an appeal but good to hear if anyone else has done this.

hi... I recently failed my maths qts test by one mark (soo gutted) im wanting to appeal but i dont know how to... Didnt know if anyones appealed or anything on here that would be able to help me in the process of appealing... Thanks very much! Hate these qts tests!!!!!!!!
Reply 13
so scared mine is on monday... i was told its slightly easier in the real thing? how true is this?
Reply 14
Hi there, I appealed but that was due to a technical error that occurred during the test. They give you a card with a number to ring after your test but I think this is only if you report it to them or they note that a technical error or disruption of some kind has occurred.

I also failed by 1 mark when the error occurred. It was a lengthy process and I was eventually offered a free re-test but in the mean time passed. Unless you believe you were unfairly disrupted in some way theres probably no point in appealing and you should just book up and try again.

Don't rely too heavily on the practice tests as you start to memorize the answers use the How to Pass books and do the practice test in them!!

Hope it helps and good luck :smile::smile:
Reply 15
Hi guys, i have read all the threads and i have taken my numeracy test three times and failed!!!! i am really disappointed and have not been able to eat or sleep since i took the test. The first time i took the test i failed by 3 marks and it was very similar to the online practice papers, the second time i failed by one mark and the test was very very hard compared to the first test, the third test was was virtually impossible to pass as it did not have any questions i revised on, there was no questions on scatter graph, cummulative frequency, box and whiskers etc, it was nothing like the ones on line. i am thinking to appeal but I dont know how to go about it, has any one else appealed on similar basis? Please help I am devistated as I have passed my GTP and my literacy, the only thing letting me down is my numeracy and i feel that it is really unfair for them to give me such hard test (maybe it was hard because it was my third time, but still they should have made us aware of how hard it would be and what we should revise on to pass. Please HELP!!
Original post by Mrs Nas
Hi guys, i have read all the threads and i have taken my numeracy test three times and failed!!!! i am really disappointed and have not been able to eat or sleep since i took the test. The first time i took the test i failed by 3 marks and it was very similar to the online practice papers, the second time i failed by one mark and the test was very very hard compared to the first test, the third test was was virtually impossible to pass as it did not have any questions i revised on, there was no questions on scatter graph, cummulative frequency, box and whiskers etc, it was nothing like the ones on line. i am thinking to appeal but I dont know how to go about it, has any one else appealed on similar basis? Please help I am devistated as I have passed my GTP and my literacy, the only thing letting me down is my numeracy and i feel that it is really unfair for them to give me such hard test (maybe it was hard because it was my third time, but still they should have made us aware of how hard it would be and what we should revise on to pass. Please HELP!!

I have my third attempt coming up, I struggle with nerves and I've really more or less had to re-teach myself maths especially quick methods,
i doubt an Appeal would work in this scenario as you've just answered your own question at why you failed - 'it did not have any questions I revised on', this sounds like you just did not revise enough,

I have bought numeracy ready, done online practise tests, bought matts videos, bought two books on how to pass on my iPad, bought 2 mark patmoore books, there is enough material out there, I even hired a tutor, so I should pass this time, it's just nerves that get to me :-/

I do get the 2 year ban, they're skimming the best students, you'll be able to teach in a free school, but I'm guessing you'll just have to wait the two year ban until you can re-take, in the mean time concentrate on maths because the level of difficulty will be raised to B GCSE standard next year, they're changing the tests again x
Reply 17
Hi, I have been practicing all the above test u have mentioned, I have also bought the latest books: Pass numeracy skills test with ease by Vali Nasser, Passing the numeracy skills test by Mark Patmore and I have registered with numeracy ready for three months and in addition I have been getting tution from my deputy head (maths co-ordinator) we covered everything and I was getting 25 out of 28 for most if my numeracy ready practice test on line and I have done most of the test. I was very confident but my actual test was very different like I mentioned before there was none of the graphs I practiced online. Please let me know how you get on. Wish you all the best x
My 2nd attempt in the mental side was quite hard, it's spurred me on to just revise more, however, I am being logical about not passing now, as this two year ban is bonkers, I'd be lying if I said I won't be devastated if I failed, however, as I'm struggling to pass and with two failed attempts I guess all we can do is figure out what the next step is,

Very doubtful there will be anything you can do after the 3 failed attempts
x
Reply 19
Don't worry I think I may have been very unlucky with the questions I got but what I can't get over is that the questions were nothing like any of the practice questions I have done and I have completed so much, I think you will be fine just do your best and I hope you get similar questions to what you are practicing. GOOD LUCK please let me know if you find the questions similar to your practice because it seems like we have been practicing the same test. X

Quick Reply

Latest