The Student Room Group

He married my mom for her money!!!!

Guys.

I wanted anybody's advice on this.

Okay. My mom got maried in September, its her 4th marriage and we all had our suspicions that it was for her own monitary needs. She had only known this guy for a few weeks and we all knew it was a bit of a farce at the time. My mom has 10 children and 3 of them still live at home with her, the rest of us have all gone to college/left home. My 3 siblings are all to suffer from what has happened in the last few days, as the latest guy told my mom straight out that he only married her because of the equity she had in our home, and he was going to divorce her and take half of it. She has just been on the phone telling me what he admitted to her and she is crying her heart out. I am not sure where to go from here and what I can do about all of this. He told her last night that he intended to divorce her and take half of everything she had to pay his own debts. My mom is broke and cannot pay the mortgage. What can I do???????
Reply 1
10 children?

there isn't much you can do, other than assassinate your stepfather.
Bis
10 children?

there isn't much you can do, other than assassinate your stepfather.

That was real mature :confused:.

I think you just need to give her as much support as possible. Sorry that I couldn't be much help!
Reply 3
Your mum should be able to argue the home is hers. She hasn't put it in joint names has she? That'd be stupid.

Or she could quickly change the names on the deeds of ownership to you 10 kids. :biggrin: So you guys own it.
Reply 4
If they haven't been married for long I am pretty sure that he doesn't automatically get 50% of everything, what your mum needs to do is get someone to witness him saying that he married her for her money. What ever happens your mum should get legal advice as soon as possible.
Reply 5
I might be talking rubbish here....but as randdom said, I would doubt that he can talk half of anything thats hers if they havn't been married long. It was her house to start with, not that they have bought it together, and he won't have lived in it long enough to make alterations to it, pay for repairs etc, so he won't have contridbuted to it.

I think your mum is going to need to get some legal advice sooner rather than later, see if you can find one of the no win no fee places to help.

Sorry I can't suggest more than that!
Reply 6
although we do live a compensation mad culture, (divorce) lawyers are far from stupid and tend to make sure that justice is done.

the guy's a complete ******* for doing that, but i'm sure that your family won't be the only ones to see that.
Reply 7

Surely if its only been a short marrage and he openly admited to her he only did it for the money - She should have a decent chance in court

Still be painfull and expensive though
OMGWTF
Surely if its only been a short marrage and he openly admited to her he only did it for the money - She should have a decent chance in court

Still be painfull and expensive though

Yeah but if he's only admitted it to her and there's no witnesses....

Tell your mum to get legal advice. She has kids and the house was presumably hers before the marriage, he can't just have half of it because they've been married 5 minutes.
Reply 9
Divorce doesn't work like that.

Just because they're married doesn't mean he automatically gets half of the house.

As he is the one requesting the divorce, he has to state a reason on the forms. What would he say? Wehatever he does say it's likely your Mum would contest it.

The Court would decide if their was any 'blame' on either side that led to the request for a divorce. IF they decide there was, which from you original post doesn't appear to be the case, they would then look at who contributed what to the Marriage, and the needs of both partners in the future.

As someone who has been through a divorce, I really don't think your Mum need worry, but Legal advice is definately the wasy forwards.
You need legal advice, get a solicitor. I'm pretty sure that due to the nature of this guy you have a high chance of him walking away with nothing.
always have a pre-nup-suger-good luck-i agree with girl afraid
Reply 12
surely the only way he can get half of everything so soon is if she was stupid enough to change the deeds of the house so it includes both of them instead of just her? the only thing you can do is yeah assasinate him or just give her loads of support. perhaps talk to some lawyers about it?
Reply 13
It's a myth that everything is split half and half. If he's contributed less, then he'll get less! And since she's got children living at home, then she probably won't have to sell the house!

Get good legal dvice, and some solicitors even do an hour free. But don't panic.
Reply 14
I don't know much about this at all, but is it not possible for your mum to get a divorce and say it was fraud by him?

Latest

Trending

Trending