The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I was pushed into doing the equivalent (ie picking up an entire new a-level in my final year), and now I'm snowed under with coursework and finding it hard to cope :frown:
michaela_banana
Some people i know have 23 frees out of a maximum of 50 lessons a fortnight. This is a ridiculous waste of time and nothing is accomplished.

Really ? I had half my time free in Year 13, and I spent it doing art, rehearsing in a whole bunch of bands, working, helping the younger kids do French and assisting in the arranging of a music tour abroad.

If you want to stand out in the UCAS process, you need to do something away from academic work, not just innumerable A Levels.
JBacon
No your capped at 360 points, with 18 units ( 3 A Levels) so no points benefit whatsoever.
You aren't capped at 360! Maths at Leicester demands 300-400 ucas points for entry.
Reply 23
Oxbridge offers definitely aren't capped at 360!
Reply 24
sarforaz
Looks more impressive on the application, esp if your applying for a very competitive course...

That's a myth, extra work in your subjects and extra-curricular stuff looks a lot better.
Whether or not doing 4 A2s has an advantage in terms of UCAS points depends on what the offer is. Most universities, or at least the top ones, ask for certain grades rather than points, and even the ones that ask for points sometimes want them to be gained from 3 subjects, so doing an extra A-level would be of no benefit whatsoever. However, it does look quite good on an application, although it doesn't make that much difference. I carried on with 4 because I enjoyed all my subjects at AS, got good grades in them and was quite confident I could cope with the work. Also, I didn't want to have loads more frees at school because I knew it would be very difficult to use them wisely.
Reply 26
gianthead
You aren't capped at 360! Maths at Leicester demands 300-400 ucas points for entry.

The majority of universities will only ever ask for 3 A Levels, This is standard practice. The maximum points score is therefore 360. I look set to get 650 but there is nobody that needs that many to get into university.

How on earth can Leicester demand 400 points. Its Leicester enough said, it doesn't even appear on the Times league tables(if it was any good you would think it would at least make an appearance). Where has Demand and Supply gone?
League tables are confusing and not always accurate - entry standards are a much truer measure in my view
unis will sometimes ask for as many Alevels as you're doing
lots of unis prefer an extra AS level
Reply 28
I only have 20/50 lessons a fortnight and I'll still end up with 4 A2s. And an AS.
Reply 29
Why would somebody do 4xA2 subjects?

Hmm, I don't know, maybe they actually enjoy their subjects :O (Shock horror)
Reply 30
Don't get all sarcy on me, I was just asking.

I'm kidding, well cheers for the help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending