The Student Room Group

Work placement year

Hey..

Next year will be my final year of my course, but I am going to be taking placement year instead. I will be working in Europe hopefully.

Does anyone know if you still get any sort of funding/finance from SFE?
Reply 1
If your on placement year you can get a loan for your tuition fees and I got a reduced maintenance loan. People that qualify for grants should get these this year too.

As far as I'm aware this only counts if it is actually a sandwhich degree you are doing. If you are just taking a year out from uni to work then you wouldn't be eligible.

I'm not 100% sure if it's any different if you get your placement in Europe.
Reply 2
That's brilliant, it is a sandwich course.

Thank you very much!
Reply 3
The funding available is dependent on your type of placement. For example, where your placement will be and also how long you'll be at the home university and whether it's paid or unpaid.

If you could let me know more details about your placement, I'll be able to check and see exactly what you're entitle to.

Please let me know what course you're studying, how long you'll be doing your placement and also whether you'll be paid or unpaid for doing your placement.

I look forward to your response.
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your help.

I am only in the application process at the minute so I am not 100% as to where I will be/what I will be doing.

I will not at be attending university at all within the sandwich year, but as the lecturers come to visit us to see our progress, we still pay fees but they are reduced. As for placement it can be either paid or voluntary. I however, will opt for paid as I would not be able to afford to volunteer. Its for a tourism based course and I am hoping to going to Spain or Portugal and I have to be away for a minimum of 10 months.

I hope this is all the information and thank you again.
Reply 5
Hello Danielle,

Thank you for your response. With the information you have provided, it seems that you'll be doing a course abroad for the entire academic year and therefore will be eligible for the following.

Tuition Fee Loan - max of £1725
Maintenance Loan - max of £4,915

You can also apply to be means-tested therefore you may be eligible for maintenance grant, supplementary grants and also a travel grant. For the travel grant, you will be required to provide a letter from your university to state your course abroad details.
Reply 6
That has basically answered everything I needed to know.

Thank you very much for your help! It all makes sense, now I just have to put the hours in and find someone that would like to employ me!
Reply 7
You're welcome Danielle.

If you have any further questions relating to your placement/study abroad, feel free to reply back in this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending