The Student Room Group

Android OS Discussion v2.0

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85
God were they 2.x too? Bloody hell.

Looking back on things makes you realise just how different things are these days. If you compare the curve of Android's development to iOS, the obvious trend is that Android will be miles ahead in the near future.

Saying that, Apple are going through a tough time post Jobs. Who knows what they'll do next. Lackluster iPhone 5 release, iOS being predominantly slammed for being nothing really new, maps, corporate shake up and some dirty laundry makes for not good times. The iPad Mini is lolworthy and the iPad 4... well... no one seems to be talking about it at all.

Interesting times indeed. What is needed now is great Nexus (x) sales, though O2 are having a laugh if they think anyone will get the N4 on a 36 pound contract...

Summarises my feelings. Steve jobs wasn't an innovator. He was a business man - and a clever one at that. He simply stole ideas, worked in a few others, and pushed them onto the market. For people who knew Steve personally, he was a bully, greedy, and a manipulator.

Much like Bill Gates was, but on a more obnoxious scale. Apple have yet to invent anything that will entice me to buy their products :rolleyes:
Reply 61
Original post by silent ninja
If you go on Amazon.com half the SGS 3 reviews are from ex-iPhone users lol I personally don't know any that have switched from iPhone to Android but I know several who've switched from a random smartphone to the SGS 3 and have been blown away by the awesome screen size-- this used to be the main criticism, but like I say, once you try a big screen you won't wanna go back. Anything below 4" is puny (the iPhone 5 is 4" but it's very narrow so I'd consider it more like a 3.7"; the dimensions are just plain weird). I have an S2 and wouldn'tconsider a phone below 4.3". Phablets are the future! (but the Note is a bit too much for me :colondollar: )

See I'm a bit iffy on Phablets ... they seem to me to be a bit over bearing! Hmm thing with SGS 3 that I hate is Samsung TouchWiz, it looks so ugly! :confused:

So I'm guessing the phone I'm getting (Xperia U's) 3.5" screen is tiny! Meh, going from a blackberry it's probably going to be huge to me. :colondollar:

To be fair, most people on iPhones are fanboys, hence most will never switch to Android, however most people with sense switch to Android! :P Flagship device for £250>Flagship device for £500.
Original post by rmpr97
See I'm a bit iffy on Phablets ... they seem to me to be a bit over bearing! Hmm thing with SGS 3 that I hate is Samsung TouchWiz, it looks so ugly! :confused:

So I'm guessing the phone I'm getting (Xperia U's) 3.5" screen is tiny! Meh, going from a blackberry it's probably going to be huge to me. :colondollar:

To be fair, most people on iPhones are fanboys, hence most will never switch to Android, however most people with sense switch to Android! :P Flagship device for £250>Flagship device for £500.

It depends what you do on your phone. If you're browsing, watching media, playing games etc for the most part on your phone, like a mini laptop, then the extra real estate is a must. You'll really appreciate it. Otherwise you can get by on a small screen without a problem. My first touchscreen smartphone had a 3.2" screen (HTC Magic) then 3.5" (orange San Francisco) then the Galaxy S2 at 4.3". The S2 took about a week to get used to but I certainly wouldn't go back. Typing is a hell of a lot easier too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by silent ninja
It depends what you do on your phone. If you're browsing, watching media, playing games etc for the most part on your phone, like a mini laptop, then the extra real estate is a must. You'll really appreciate it. Otherwise you can get by on a small screen without a problem. My first touchscreen smartphone had a 3.2" screen (HTC Magic) then 3.5" (orange San Francisco) then the Galaxy S2 at 4.3". The S2 took about a week to get used to but I certainly wouldn't go back. Typing is a hell of a lot easier too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose ... I've never got the whole using your phone as your main internet center, especially in the day and age of data caps.

I just use it for music, photos, and social networking mainly!

It's probably just one of those things you need to get used too with phablets.
Original post by outlaw-torn
So annoyed, installed a 'software update' on my Galaxy S2 about a week ago and since then my phone won't hold a charge for more than about 3 hours.. Even when I plug it in to charge, the other day it took 2hrs to charge 10%. All Vodafone have to say is to send it for repair... I guess it must be a software problem not an actual battery problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may well be worth sending it for repair. Could be a dodgy USB port or something.
Still without a tablet, not had it since 20th July now, HP are the worst company I have ever dealt with, on the 15th October I was told a new touchpad was been shipped to me from the USA. What's it coming by, canoe via the Pacific? Absolute joke.

Nexus 4 looks great, shame about the storage, I didn't expect micro SD, but 8GB is poor, would have cost them like £1 to double that to 16GB, then could do 16GB and 32GB. My current phone has 8GB fixed memory (Sony Xperia U), but that was only £95 so I let it slide, but on a £200+ device there's really no excuse, would have got one if it wasn't for that.
Original post by wizard710
It may well be worth sending it for repair. Could be a dodgy USB port or something.

Uninstalled Go Launcher and the problem seems to have magically resolved itself :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
Uninstalled Go Launcher and the problem seems to have magically resolved itself :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you go in to Settings > Battery, you can see what processes are using power. I can imagine that some things would go wrong with that kind of upgrade.
Original post by theronkinator
Still without a tablet, not had it since 20th July now, HP are the worst company I have ever dealt with, on the 15th October I was told a new touchpad was been shipped to me from the USA. What's it coming by, canoe via the Pacific? Absolute joke.

Nexus 4 looks great, shame about the storage, I didn't expect micro SD, but 8GB is poor, would have cost them like £1 to double that to 16GB, then could do 16GB and 32GB. My current phone has 8GB fixed memory (Sony Xperia U), but that was only £95 so I let it slide, but on a £200+ device there's really no excuse, would have got one if it wasn't for that.

Think you're underestimating the cost of internal phone storage, it's much more expensive than if you go from an 8GB SD card to a 16GB one. But yeah, 8GB won't meet the needs of most consumers, but the 16GB is only £40 more and considering all the other features you're getting, it's pretty much unbeatable price-wise.
Original post by mikeyd85
If you go in to Settings > Battery, you can see what processes are using power. I can imagine that some things would go wrong with that kind of upgrade.

This is pretty good for today, yesterday it lasted half the time before I uninstalled GO Launcher.

Also this is with screen brightness on 0 and screen timeout on 1 min.

12%
6hr 18m 51s on battery

Screen 48%
Internet 14%
Cell Standby 8%
Android OS 6%
Mediaserver 5%
Phone Idle 5%
Android system 4%
Quickview 4%
Voice Calls 4%
The Student Room 4%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coconut2456
Think you're underestimating the cost of internal phone storage, it's much more expensive than if you go from an 8GB SD card to a 16GB one. But yeah, 8GB won't meet the needs of most consumers, but the 16GB is only £40 more and considering all the other features you're getting, it's pretty much unbeatable price-wise.

I based it on me being able to buy an 8GB card for £5 and imagine they pay much less, but maybe I was wrong, well they could do it and add £5-10 to the cost of the price. I agree it's unbeatable, but the difference in price makes it go from close to a £200 phone, to a close to a £300 phone.
Original post by theronkinator
I based it on me being able to buy an 8GB card for £5 and imagine they pay much less, but maybe I was wrong, well they could do it and add £5-10 to the cost of the price. I agree it's unbeatable, but the difference in price makes it go from close to a £200 phone, to a close to a £300 phone.

Well it's better if you compare it against other phones and how much you have to increase the storage, the pricing is pretty competitive in that regard, SD cards aren't really a fair comparison. Regardless of whether it's a close to £200 phone or not, it's still within the £200-£300 range and there is only a £40 difference between the two phones. Even if it were a £300 phone, it still beats the £500-£600 phones
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
I honestly don't see why people care about it only being 16GB ... that's plenty enough (well for me) what do you guys put on your phones to use up 16GB? I've only got about 3GB used on my phone!
Honestly, I use my phone so little aside from browsing / web services, memory isn't a huge issue.

I would like a 32gb N10 though... :colone:
Cot daym the N4 is tempting.

Trying out jelly bean nightlies on my old ass phone and I love it. The stock browser has a huge memory leak though, and chrome doesn't run properly on it.
Original post by rmpr97
I honestly don't see why people care about it only being 16GB ... that's plenty enough (well for me) what do you guys put on your phones to use up 16GB? I've only got about 3GB used on my phone!

Well my music takes up a few gigs by itself, then you have all the photos and 1080p videos you take which will use up a lot of space, plus any tv shows/movies you have on there. Not to mention the apps, especially the larger ones like NOVA. It is a problem but I'm sure with cloud storage and deleting unnecessary stuff it should be enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rmpr97
There are a lot of games (RPGs, high resolution racing/action games, etc.) available that tend to have data files of 750MB-1GB+. Music and HD video recording also fill up a lot space.
I wish it had a microSD slot srs.

Also, why am I getting such strong 3g speeds? Central London, great signal...and this? Could it have something to do with my baseband?

Reply 78
Original post by whyumadtho
There are a lot of games (RPGs, high resolution racing/action games, etc.) available that tend to have data files of 750MB-1GB+. Music and HD video recording also fill up a lot space.

Ahh, I'm not one for all of that, for me it'll just be normal social networking, random utilities here and there and Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja all that nonsense, and about 200 songs.

Although going by that, I can see why it's an issue. Although 16GB is still surely enough for that?
Reply 79
Google music is coming to the UK in a few weeks so your whole itunes library or whatever music collection you have will all be cloud based accessible from anywhere, with any device

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending