The Student Room Group

Android OS Discussion v2.0

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think the idea is some people well most will have like ten gigs of music storedvon iTunes on their pc. this moves it somewhere permanent in the cloud accessible anywhere. however out of that ten gigs only a small portion of current music is what one might listen to and this can be made offline on your phone so not eating into your bandwidth. however to be fair unlimited data tariffs are becoming more common.

the imagine their would be a function to make offline your most popular listened to songs
Original post by G8D
How does Google Music work? Do you upload files (even if not from legit sources) and then have access to them or do you need to have the source device online to stream from that?

Also cloud music isn't very good in truth. Let's say I'm on the move to and from uni, 1 hour total a day on the tram. That gives me less than 10 days worth of music via streaming if I have a 1GB allowance.

This isn't the best example because the trams have free WiFi, but yeah :colondollar:

You upload the files and they're linked to your Google account. The source device doesn't need to be online, as long as your phone/tablet has internet access then you can sync your songs to your phone/tablet as long as your account is linked to it.

Currently using it, it's brilliant.
Reply 82
3 has had hspa+ for ages

Sent from my GT-I9300
Reply 83
Cloud is a bit pointless really unless you have unlimited data? Because otherwise streaming a whole playlist to your phone is going to you use your whole allowance.

... However I'm aware that there's WiFi on tubes now? ... next stop, London buses please!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mikeyd85
Honestly, I use my phone so little aside from browsing / web services, memory isn't a huge issue.

I would like a 32gb N10 though... :colone:

That's what I'm replacing my Transformer Prime with.
Original post by markuk99
Google music is coming to the UK in a few weeks so your whole itunes library or whatever music collection you have will all be cloud based accessible from anywhere, with any device

Original post by G8D
How does Google Music work? Do you upload files (even if not from legit sources) and then have access to them or do you need to have the source device online to stream from that?

Also cloud music isn't very good in truth. Let's say I'm on the move to and from uni, 1 hour total a day on the tram. That gives me less than 10 days worth of music via streaming if I have a 1GB allowance.

This isn't the best example because the trams have free WiFi, but yeah :colondollar:
Select all the tracks you want to upload and google matches them similar to what apple does so you don't actually have to upload them then you can cache them to a local device I believe.

I have spotify premium and I tend to only stream when I'm on a decent wifi connection ie at home or the library and then have a good 15 or so playlists cached for when I'm walking between them
(edited 11 years ago)

So's the Nexus 7. I'm still waiting on the N10 to be released next week
If only the nexus 10 looked like the galaxy note 10.1, the bezel on the nexus is too chunky

Can a stylus be used on the nexus tablets?
Hey guys, haven't posted in here for quite a while. But as always, I come back when I need your help :smile:

I've currently got a HTC Sensation, which will remain with me until my contract runs out next May. But I'm bored of the phone, and to tell you the truth it's been irritating me with the speed/lag I've been experiencing. So, I've decided to install a custom ROM and see if I can get more out of my phone.

For some reason I've never done this before, despite owning an android device for almost 3 years now. So, noobs guide to installing a custom ROM/ recommendations for the best ones available/what's your preference?

Also, what's the best way of backing up all my apps/data and reloading onto the phone once flashed? And is there any problem with compatibility of apps with certain ROMs?

Much appreciated :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I use Titanium Backup, but you have to be really careful about what you restore. Usually I do all the user apps and settings, and then a few of the system settings (none that I think would cause instability). I've never had an issue with apps not being compatible with new ROMs.
Original post by biffyclyro27
Hey guys, haven't posted in here for quite a while. But as always, I come back when I need your help :smile:

I've currently got a HTC Sensation, which will remain with me until my contract runs out next May. But I'm bored of the phone, and to tell you the truth it's been irritating me with the speed/lag I've been experiencing. So, I've decided to install a custom ROM and see if I can get more out of my phone.

For some reason I've never done this before, despite owning an android device for almost 3 years now. So, noobs guide to installing a custom ROM/ recommendations for the best ones available/what's your preference?

Also, what's the best way of backing up all my apps/data and reloading onto the phone once flashed? And is there any problem with compatibility of apps with certain ROMs?

Much appreciated :biggrin:

Go to the XDA forums for your device. Join their boards and have a look around.

Custom ROMs offer so much variety these days there is no one best option, so consider what your requirements are. Do you want Sense? aosp? ICS? JB?

Me? I'm using a CM10 base with a custom kernel. It's lovely.
Go to the XDA forums for your device. Join their boards and have a look around.

Custom ROMs offer so much variety these days there is no one best option, so consider what your requirements are. Do you want Sense? aosp? ICS? JB?

Me? I'm using a CM10 base with a custom kernel. It's lovely.

I've always had a HTC device, and I quite like Sense, so I'd probably stick with that.

I guess I need to do some searching and take a look at what's out there. Mainly I just want something that's going to speed up my device/eliminate lag as much as possible.
I've always had a HTC device, and I quite like Sense, so I'd probably stick with that.

I guess I need to do some searching and take a look at what's out there. Mainly I just want something that's going to speed up my device/eliminate lag as much as possible.

That's a pretty much given with most custom ROMs.

If I were you, I'd start on something based on the official RUU with a boosted kernel.
That's a pretty much given with most custom ROMs.

If I were you, I'd start on something based on the official RUU with a boosted kernel.

Not really sure what that means, but I'll look into it.

What about this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1098849 ?
Not really sure what that means, but I'll look into it.

What about this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1098849 ?

Yeah, looks spot on mate. You got a custom recovery going?
Yeah, looks spot on mate. You got a custom recovery going?

No, all I've done so far is backup my apps with Astro and all data etc. on to my PC.

To be honest, having never done this before I'm a bit baffled by the wealth of information I need to take on!

I need to root/ S-Off my phone first before I can do anything I think. I was just in the process of doing that, but realised my Hboot is 1.27 so it seems to be a bit more complicated. Just trying to find the best way of rooting.
No, all I've done so far is backup my apps with Astro and all data etc. on to my PC.

To be honest, having never done this before I'm a bit baffled by the wealth of information I need to take on!

I need to root/ S-Off my phone first before I can do anything I think. I was just in the process of doing that, but realised my Hboot is 1.27 so it seems to be a bit more complicated. Just trying to find the best way of rooting.

Aye, it's a bit daunting at first, but you only have to do it once. S-Off, HBOOT downgrades, gold cards... Seen it all. :rolleyes:
Does Astro save settings too?
Aye, it's a bit daunting at first, but you only have to do it once. S-Off, HBOOT downgrades, gold cards... Seen it all. :rolleyes:

Managed to root and get CWM recovery on yesterday. Now I need to use the paperclip trick to S-Off!

Original post by + polarity -
Does Astro save settings too?

I don't think so, but I'm not too bothered about it to be honest. I'm taking this opportunity to have a clear out of all the crap on my phone anyway
Managed to root and get CWM recovery on yesterday. Now I need to use the paperclip trick to S-Off!

I don't think so, but I'm not too bothered about it to be honest. I'm taking this opportunity to have a clear out of all the crap on my phone anyway

SOff is a pain, but so worth it in the long run. Makes flashing ROMs so much easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending