The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

People seem to think if you like certain music or behave in a certain manner you are "typical" asian individual (be it a girl or boy) and some seem to think if you like certain "alternative" music you are not "typically asian"---------regardless of how one behaves if they are asian they will be considered asian regardles of who they date or how they behave
Anonymous
Hmmm, I just think I'm sort of different, it's hard to explain. For instance, I don't follow the indian gal craze of dying your hair, mixing English with hindi/urdu etc etc. For, instance my ideal date would be being taken to the theatre/opera followed by a piano bar...or just sitting in front of the fire with some mulled wine :smile: I'm quite 'white' in my demeanor and all through school, most people assumed I was Spanish/Moroccan not least because I spoke European languages having lived in that region for several years.

I'm very sorry if I sounded rude in my initial post. I just didn't know how to express it. Thanks for all your replies so far

Ok, then... I suppose i'd concur with all that. Although you seem to be specifically pointing out the flaws of Asians in your area although i do here you loud and clear. I've lived in Africa my whole life and mixed with a multitude of diverse people, so i suppose when i moved back here (Sri Lanka) i found it a bit hard to adjust to some of the stuff. Or else i just didnt care about all the superficial nonsense society throws at you. :smile:

This reminds me of that indian family in Bend it like Bekham :rolleyes: Or at least the older sister's friends' mad ways... :wink:

EDIT: Also, i don't associate all the things you mentioned above with 'white' people, i'd just say it's taste personal unto yourself. :smile: There can be non-whites who enjoy the stuff you mentioned above, perhaps like myself although i hesitate at the opera part. Symphony preferably over opera :p: Perhaps live jazz fusion instead of simply piano bar too :p: lol! Personal taste remember... :smile:
Anonymous
People seem to think if you like certain music or behave in a certain manner you are "typical" asian individual (be it a girl or boy) and some seem to think if you like certain "alternative" music you are not "typically asian"---------regardless of how one behaves if they are asian they will be considered asian regardles of who they date or how they behave

Ah thank you for that, i don't think people should fit into a specific stereotypical mold of who is who. Although i was judged on looks and taste and dress sense when i moved to Sri Lanka. People thought i was European/ Arabian lol, but then you just have to make them see that there's bigger things than their traditions...
No problem
Asian girls can be very attractive so I guess I would have no problems dating a person of that ethnicity :smile:
I don't think it's uncommon to have mixed race relationships. I personally don't have that sort of thing because for some reason, white guys just kinda see over the top of my head and not see me there. LOL
Reply 86
strawberry
I don't think it's uncommon to have mixed race relationships. I personally don't have that sort of thing because for some reason, white guys just kinda see over the top of my head and not see me there. LOL

personally i would probably, immediatley be attracted to you if i saw you in a room with a load of white girls. I'm a white male myself but find asian/oriental girls very attractive. Also i generally believe they have the kind of personalities i get on with the most. my problem is that i think they won't be interested in me!
Reply 87
strawberry
I personally think that I don't stand a chance at all with white guys so my preference is asian guys

Actually white guys tend to prefer Asian girls... as is well documented in Michel Houllebecq's 'Platform'. Give that book a whirl!
Decent_Jam
I went out with an Asian girl and if it wasn't for her parents we would still be going out *sob*

Aw, im sorry :frown: some aisn parents seem to be stuck in the past WAY too much.

my sister's kinda having this problem- trying to convince my parents that the black guy shes seeing is someone she loves, and is the guy she wants to marry. and he's muslim, doing accountancy (same as my dad!) and is well spoken and polite. so they should NOT have any problems with it. its frustrating that they cant accept it.
xxnizxx
yeah same thing here, im an british indian girl!..and find that I get more attention from asian/black males rather than white.
I prefer asian guys, if I went out with white/black guys, then my parents would go mental, because they are quite traditional as they were brought up in India, where as I was born and brought up in London, so I'm 'westernised'. But regardess of what my parent's want for me, I still prefer Asian guys, most probably because most of my friends are Asian, and I hardly know many white guys.

Same here! My dad specifically said, 'You are not to go out with an English boy.' :rolleyes:
It depends really, race itself isn't an issue, but generally speaking the Asian guys I know aren't so great (all really geeky with no social life but in denial), apart from my boyfriend. :love:
Reply 90
hmm... cafe de Paris on Picadilly circus is the funniest place ever, and shows just how segregated the UK is. I went there with an Indian friend once and felt like a cue ball. I felt really intimidated and was rather annoyed I had been taken there without prior warning. It explained to me why I had hardly ever seen Asians (sub-continentals) out in clubs... They all went there! I felt like some of the girls in there were quite cute but I'd not even dare to try it on with any of them.

I didn't realise that so many parents forbid inter-racial fraternisation.
ffaf
personally i would probably, immediatley be attracted to you if i saw you in a room with a load of white girls. I'm a white male myself but find asian/oriental girls very attractive. Also i generally believe they have the kind of personalities i get on with the most. my problem is that i think they won't be interested in me!

lol we have the same problem. I don't think white guys would be attracted to me while you don't think asian girls would be attracted to you!
Reply 92
Yeah... just read Houellebecq. You'd better get a good supply of St. John's Wort first though.
Reply 93
and I feel I have the same problem as strawberry :frown:
Reply 94
coughsyrup
hmm... cafe de Paris on Picadilly circus is the funniest place ever, and shows just how segregated the UK is. I went there with an Indian friend once and felt like a cue ball. I felt really intimidated and was rather annoyed I had been taken there without prior warning. It explained to me why I had hardly ever seen Asians (sub-continentals) out in clubs... They all went there! I felt like some of the girls in there were quite cute but I'd not even dare to try it on with any of them.

I didn't realise that so many parents forbid inter-racial fraternisation.

thats true, i went on a night out to the sky bar in london with asian, white, mixed and black friends - me being oriental myself - and i couldn't quite believe how many people just couldnt stop staring at us... it could have been for other reasons, though everyone there was asian, despite it being more of an bollywood night - i think - i'd have thought there would be at least ONE other person who wasn't asian outside our little groupie..my black friend was also shouted at in the toilets about "why she was there" twice as if we weren't allowed, though the girls were drunk..even so, its not acceptable...
Reply 95
Maybe it challenges the commonly held view that the white male is a monster responsible for unspeakable racism.

Where my brother went to college in the US for post grad there was a joke about "Asian Fetishism" - All the white guys were linking up with oriental girls... so I doubt strawberry need worry.
I don't think it would ever be a problem if you loved each other enough!

Seriosuly, I know several friends who are in relationships with asian guys or gilrs, it really doesn't matter.
Reply 97
CogitoErgoSum
Aw, im sorry :frown: some aisn parents seem to be stuck in the past WAY too much.

my sister's kinda having this problem- trying to convince my parents that the black guy shes seeing is someone she loves, and is the guy she wants to marry. and he's muslim, doing accountancy (same as my dad!) and is well spoken and polite. so they should NOT have any problems with it. its frustrating that they cant accept it.

yeah i had that same problem with my parents and boy's parents. we're different religion... different nationality... different cultures...
but after 3 years, they accepted it :smile: it just takes perseverence
coughsyrup
Maybe it challenges the commonly held view that the white male is a monster responsible for unspeakable racism.

Where my brother went to college in the US for post grad there was a joke about "Asian Fetishism" - All the white guys were linking up with oriental girls... so I doubt strawberry need worry.

how do you categorize oriental?
Reply 99
strawberry
how do you categorize oriental?

Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese. One gets into difficulties when trying to generalise people... but I think that is what most people think of as "Oriental"

Latest

Trending

Trending