The Student Room Group

Theresa May strips British passport from Muslim care worker who refused to join MI5 a

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Darth Stewie
Why would you be prosecuted? Unless you have done something that leaves you open to prosecution of course in which case i suppose a reluctance to talk to the authorities makes sense. There is no evidence whatsoever that any blackmail was used and the story about MI5 officers dressed as postmen and the "bombardment of phone calls" which they can't seem to prove seems like a story concocted by a James Bond fan.

You would leave yourself open to possible prosecution, you might not be, but best to keep the gob shut anyway. Nothing you say will help you in any way, that's a fact. No law enforcement can force you to speak or blackmail you into doing so.
Original post by piya21
There's a difference between giving information you already know and being manipulated into acting as a spy against the people around you - not wanting to be used as a pawn doesn't mean you're not law-abiding.

If the people around you could be plotting to hurt innocent people i fail to see how any law abiding citizen would not want to keep the security services up to date, frankly they were right to be suspicious when he refused.
Original post by noisy06
You would leave yourself open to possible prosecution, you might not be, but best to keep the gob shut anyway. Nothing you say will help you in any way, that's a fact. No law enforcement can force you to speak or blackmail you into doing so.

who's blackmailing someone? From what i gather they requested information on possible dangerous people the suspect was associated with the man refused and as a result our security services became suspicious, clearly enough evidence was presented to warrant our home secretary revoking his citizenship.

All these accusations of blackmail come from the family who have provided nothing in the way of evidence. As for talking to them being used to prosecute you i don't get what exactly they would prosecute you for? To do so would require evidence that you are involved in nefarious activities.
Reply 23
If the people around you could be plotting to hurt innocent people i fail to see how any law abiding citizen would not want to keep the security services up to date, frankly they were right to be suspicious when he refused.

You do know that the law does not require any citizen yo voluntary give any information to any law enforcement? How can you then say they were right to "be suspicious"? If they had any evidence on him, they would have brought charges. It sounds like you are actively promoting a police state.
Original post by noisy06
You do know that the law does not require any citizen yo voluntary give any information to any law enforcement? How can you then say they were right to "be suspicious"? If they had any evidence on him, they would have brought charges. It sounds like you are actively promoting a police state.

They did have evidence on him, it was presented to the home secretary and she made the decision to revoke his citizenship. The law doesn't require you to give any information however if you fail to cooperate with investigations then obviously people are going to ask why, when the intelligence agencies did this they clearly uncovered evidence that warranted the removal of his citizenship.
Reply 25
who's blackmailing someone? From what i gather they requested information on possible dangerous people the suspect was associated with the man refused and as a result our security services became suspicious, clearly enough evidence was presented to warrant our home secretary revoking his citizenship.

All these accusations of blackmail come from the family who have provided nothing in the way of evidence. As for talking to them being used to prosecute you i don't get what exactly they would prosecute you for? To do so would require evidence that you are involved in nefarious activities.

Like I said before, it is not a requirement by law(and never should be) to submit to questioning by law enforcement. You should understand that, as that may be the most important thing you take away from this conversation of ours. That's all that matters here since you were first attempting to characterise those who don't talk as being possible suspects.
FREE MAHDI!!!! **** MI5 **** Theresa May!!!!
Original post by noisy06
Like I said before, it is not a requirement by law(and never should be) to submit to questioning by law enforcement. You should understand that, as that may be the most important thing you take away from this conversation of ours. That's all that matters here since you were first attempting to characterise those who don't talk as being possible suspects.

No one is saying it is a legal requirement however refusing to provide information to our security services is suspicious behavior, they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't investigate further and in this case that investigation clearly led to evidence being uncovered.
Reply 29
They did have evidence on him, it was presented to the home secretary and she made the decision to revoke his citizenship. The law doesn't require you to give any information however if you fail to cooperate with investigations then obviously people are going to ask why, when the intelligence agencies did this they clearly uncovered evidence that warranted the removal of his citizenship.

Like I said, failing to submit to questioning is not grounds for suspicion, especially without a lawyer present, it just should never be done. Secondly, the whole story is open to questioning, and there should be a thorough investigation, starting with an interview with the MP he apparently contacted to get MI5 off his back.
Original post by noisy06
Like I said, failing to submit to questioning is not grounds for suspicion, especially without a lawyer present, it just should never be done. Secondly, the whole story is open to questioning, and there should be a thorough investigation, starting with an interview with the MP he apparently contacted to get MI5 off his back.

Intelligence services don't need permission to investigate someones activities, if they think you could be connected or up to something they are free to pursue that (within the confines of the law of course).
Reply 31
No one is saying it is a legal requirement however refusing to provide information to our security services is suspicious behavior, they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't investigate further and in this case that investigation clearly led to evidence being uncovered.

Once again, failing to submit to questioning is not, I repeat, not "suspicious" behaviour, this is a bogus claim. If they had sufficient evidence on him they wouldn't be needing him to voluntarily provide information. To suggest that a person must submit to the demands of the authorities to avoid being seen as suspects is a willingness to have this country turned into a police state.
Reply 32
Intelligence services don't need permission to investigate someones activities, if they think you could be connected or up to something they are free to pursue that (within the confines of the law of course).

I said there should be an investigation into the allegation that MI5 used blackmail. If the MP corroborates the claim, then there is a case.
Original post by noisy06
Once again, failing to submit to questioning is not, I repeat, not "suspicious" behaviour, this is a bogus claim. If they had sufficient evidence on him they wouldn't be needing him to voluntarily provide information. To suggest that a person must submit to the demands of the authorities to avoid being seen as suspects is a willingness to have this country turned into a police state.

I'm not suggesting it should be made illegal not refuse to give information however "suspicious behavior" is behavior that the investigating organisation deem as suspicious, you seem to be under the impression that means they must have evidence to investigate someone which is obviously a paradox as they investigate people to gather evidence.
Original post by noisy06
I said there should be an investigation into the allegation that MI5 used blackmail. If the MP corroborates the claim, then there is a case.

Well not really, them writing to their MP a few years ago with the same baseless accusations they are making now is not proof of anything other than that they are persistent.
Why would any law abiding citizen refuse to give information to our security services?

Either way this story is just a bunch of unfounded accusations and wishful thinking, should probably get some proof before you start crying wolf.

I wouldn't mind giving information to the police for example, but I'd prefer not to talk or work for the military or intelligence agency, as I'd rather not think that by my words, I've helped prolong war in any way, shape or form
Reply 36
I'm not suggesting it should be made illegal not refuse to give information however "suspicious behavior" is behavior that the investigating organisation deem as suspicious, you seem to be under the impression that means they must have evidence to investigate someone which is obviously a paradox as they investigate people to gather evidence.

No, refusing to give information, by law cannot be deemed suspicious. In fact, there was an incident that occurred to me quite a while ago where a couple of officers knocked on my door and questioned me about what a couple of kids (some whom I knew) might be up to since the police thought they could have been behind some crimes, I didn't tell them a damn thing and they never came back. I don't owe them anything. Nothing at all. The idea that a person can become a suspect for refusing to submit to questioning is bogus. And repeating the claim doesn't make it right. It is just not correct.
How can you strip him of his passport because he refused to be part of a racist and criminal organisation that are going to use him to frame other people and put them in his position. We have free will we dont need to join anything we dont want to if they had evidence on him they could just prosecute him in the uk why and how can he clear his name by becoming a snitch for MI5 some stupid ass **** right here folks they just want lick Americas ass.
Original post by de_monies
I wouldn't mind giving information to the police for example, but I'd prefer not to talk or work for the military or intelligence agency, as I'd rather not think that by my words, I've helped prolong war in any way, shape or form

Well this case revolves around MI5 who are much closer to the police than the military and generally deal with domestic extremism rather than international terrorism but either way if you did refuse to give information on potential extremists you may have been in contact with you surely can understand that this may seem suspicious and they may investigate your activities a little closer (obviously not finding anything as although i disagree entirely your reason for refusing to provide them with information is not based directly in the desire to aid extremism).
Reply 39
Well not really, them writing to their MP a few years ago with the same baseless accusations they are making now is not proof of anything other than that they are persistent.

That is a reasonable starting place for any investigation. Only then can there be an internal inquiry by the MI5. According to your standards there is absolutely no way blackmail can be proven or investigated. Which is ridiculous and simply not the case. Everything can be investigated. Like they say. The truth will out- eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending