The Student Room Group

Yeah I messed up...

Hi I'm new to the site and this is my first post so I appreciate replies :smile:.

Well, I'm sitting my AS exams this year and previously did awful on my GCSE's. I'm capable of hitting the A's I know and have been told but completely slacked off and got pretty much straight C's at GCSE.

It's only now I realise their importance, especially as I'd love to get round to a course in medicine at somewhere like Keele university for example.
I've already attended a night college course to try and improve my grades (GCSE Biology), however because of the distance, cost, time etc I'm unable to continue with the course.

So my question is this, is it possible for me to study GCSE's from home? (Bio, chem, phys, math, eng etc.) at a reasonable price? -I'm 17.
Also, I have read about IGCSE's and are curious, are they completely equivalent to GCSE's? do medical schools accept these qualifications in place of GCSE's? as I understand many medical schools are strict on GCSE's.

Thanks for any reply's, much appreciated :smile:.
Reply 1
You will have to do research into whether or not Medicine degrees will accept re-sit GCSEs. I know that they will not accept a re-sat AS level, so I'd definitely look into that before you get set on applying for Medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by ThePremierLeague

Also, I have read about IGCSE's and are curious, are they completely equivalent to GCSE's?

Yes, they are.
Hi I'm new to the site and this is my first post so I appreciate replies :smile:.

Well, I'm sitting my AS exams this year and previously did awful on my GCSE's. I'm capable of hitting the A's I know and have been told but completely slacked off and got pretty much straight C's at GCSE.

It's only now I realise their importance, especially as I'd love to get round to a course in medicine at somewhere like Keele university for example.
I've already attended a night college course to try and improve my grades (GCSE Biology), however because of the distance, cost, time etc I'm unable to continue with the course.

So my question is this, is it possible for me to study GCSE's from home? (Bio, chem, phys, math, eng etc.) at a reasonable price? -I'm 17.
Also, I have read about IGCSE's and are curious, are they completely equivalent to GCSE's? do medical schools accept these qualifications in place of GCSE's? as I understand many medical schools are strict on GCSE's.

Thanks for any reply's, much appreciated :smile:.

Hi!
I was considering resitting a few of my GCSE's, but I emailed a LOT of universities regarding their GCSE resit policy for Medicine.
And they majority said that they would not accept resits unless you have a valid reason: i.e. someone died on the day of your exam; you had an illness; etc...

Are your AS studies going well?
A lot of universities look at your AS results.
And Cambridge..requires C's but I think you'll need a minimum of B in English and Maths, do you have these?

(No point taking IGCSE now, it's much more complicated than our year was D: - I'm confused about what I just said)
Reply 4
IGCSEs are equivalent but much more detailed...I think it would be wise to stick to what you know and stay with regular GCSEs. Good luck.
Thank's for the reply's everyone.

Well, I'm currently re-sitting my AS levels to hopefully get AA and a distinction (distinction in applied science).
I understand that medicine is probably the most competitive course therefore my chances of being accepted in 2014 are pretty slim so...

is it worth me doing a degree in say biology/biomedical science then applying for postgraduate medicine at somewhere like Warwick? (I'm pretty sure it had a high reputation for graduates and postgraduates).

My question may sound stupid but With a postgraduate medicine degree, would I find it harder to gain quick employment or are postgrad medicine degrees seen as equal to normal medicine degrees?

Also does anyone know of any GCSE exam centres around the west-midlands at a decent price as I understand that even if you aren't applying for medicine, some uni's like B+ grades as GCSE.

Thank you in advance :smile:.
Thank's for the reply's everyone.

Well, I'm currently re-sitting my AS levels to hopefully get AA and a distinction (distinction in applied science).
I understand that medicine is probably the most competitive course therefore my chances of being accepted in 2014 are pretty slim so...

is it worth me doing a degree in say biology/biomedical science then applying for postgraduate medicine at somewhere like Warwick? (I'm pretty sure it had a high reputation for graduates and postgraduates).

My question may sound stupid but With a postgraduate medicine degree, would I find it harder to gain quick employment or are postgrad medicine degrees seen as equal to normal medicine degrees?

Also does anyone know of any GCSE exam centres around the west-midlands at a decent price as I understand that even if you aren't applying for medicine, some uni's like B+ grades as GCSE.

Thank you in advance :smile:.

what a levels do you do?
Biology, History, Applied Science BTEC and General studies.
IGCSE's aren't the exact same. Our teachers say they're not necessarily harder but prepare you better for the a-level :smile:
so do you think its worth improving my GCSE's with either GCSE/IGCSE's whilst getting my A-levels before applying to uni?

Quick Reply

Latest