The Student Room Group

What do women look for in guys?

OK I know there have been more than a few posts about this sort of thing and I have looked, but to be honest previous posts are largely girls just saying what colour hair/eyes they like, and that isn't what I'm asking.

I just want to know what personalities are deemed to be good etc.

What about confident guys who just tend to be a little quiet, but not necessarily shy?

Thanks.
Reply 1
It somewhat depends on the girl but there are some qualities which are universally attractive to all women and get the ball rolling. It's what PUAs use in flirting. But there are other things. For more clues read Part II of David Deida's Way of the Superior Man. Or check out his other book called It's a Guy Thing (written for women but some insight into gender politics). Also see Robert Glover's No More Mr Nice Guy.
Reply 2
Original post by Lucia.
It somewhat depends on the girl but there are some qualities which are universally attractive to all women and get the ball rolling. It's what PUAs use in flirting. But there are other things. For more clues read Part II of David Deida's Way of the Superior Man. Or check out his other book called It's a Guy Thing (written for women but some insight into gender politics). Also see Robert Glover's No More Mr Nice Guy.

Not necessarily - pickup artists (PUAs) use techniques that are good for getting one night stands and stuff, not for long term relationships. I wouldn't use the techniques employed by PUAs to get a girl, the relationship wouldn't last.

Usually (I think) girls go for confident, charismatic, tall, not skinny, high social status.
Quiet, nice, friendly, good at holding a conversation, understanding and NOT superficial. I don't want a man obsessed with boobs and bums all the time...I prefer brains. :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by 1st Love
Not necessarily - pickup artists (PUAs) use techniques that are good for getting one night stands and stuff, not for long term relationships. I wouldn't use the techniques employed by PUAs to get a girl, the relationship wouldn't last.

Usually (I think) girls go for confident, charismatic, tall, not skinny, high social status.

Yeah I agree with what you said. I think they don't do what gets the girl long-term. And even though I can tell the techniques are being used I find that somehow they tap into my sexual desire...weird :s-smilie:

I can't really explain but to me it's masculine energy and masculine strength that appeals to me, that sense of decisiveness, sexual prowess, confidence and the ability to be strong and be the provider. I think if guys can demonstrate some fundamental masculine/sexual qualities then social status becomes less important.
Reply 5
Original post by Lucia.
Yeah I agree with what you said. I think they don't do what gets the girl long-term. And even though I can tell the techniques are being used I find that somehow they tap into my sexual desire...weird :s-smilie:

I can't really explain but to me it's masculine energy and masculine strength that appeals to me, that sense of decisiveness, sexual prowess, confidence and the ability to be strong and be the provider. I think if guys can demonstrate some fundamental masculine/sexual qualities then social status becomes less important.

Really, so if a Pickup artist came at you in a club and started using their routines and you knew what they were doing, the techniques would still work on you? I always thought like if a girl knew about pickup artists, they'd instantly walk away when they saw one.

I think what you're describing in a male is the Alpha male, which pretty much all females are attracted to.
Confidence. Being able to approach them, I guess.
Reply 7
Original post by 1st Love
Really, so if a Pickup artist came at you in a club and started using their routines and you knew what they were doing, the techniques would still work on you? I always thought like if a girl knew about pickup artists, they'd instantly walk away when they saw one.

I think what you're describing in a male is the Alpha male, which pretty much all females are attracted to.

It depends on the context but if it's a very subtle use of PUA tactics, it might work better. I don't like some of the stuff they do. I hate negging. I find it insulting and really sexist.

I wouldn't say a guy who demonstrates those qualities has to be alpha though. Personally I don't like a complete yes man. I want a guy who'll challenge me and not just do what I want all the time or to try to be the perfect boyfriend. He doesn't have to be jerk but I don't want him to try too hard to please me either. I find 'nice guys' not to have enough of an edge. Like I said I don't expect a jerk, but someone with character. It's hard to explain.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ir order:

1) Doesn't care what I do during the day when he's not around
2) Doesn't want to be the centre of my world

^^ these two are the priori to everything. Even if he's the worst person around those would ensure that he's still bearable.

3) Smart
4) Chemistry (can get along well)
5) Nothing there really about appearance.
Reply 9
"Now one thing I can't stand is arrogance
There's no way that we would ever get along
But one thing I love is confidence
And humility to know when you've been wrong

Now I love a bad boy mentality
But I don't want to be visiting no jail
Just know if there's someone out there mocking me
Be my gangster when it's time to get real" -Katy B
Original post by Anonymous
OK I know there have been more than a few posts about this sort of thing and I have looked, but to be honest previous posts are largely girls just saying what colour hair/eyes they like, and that isn't what I'm asking.

Thanks.

I think most of us look for the same thing in people personality wise Eg. "I'd like a guy/girl who's funny, easy to be around, confident, outgoing..." etc with the odd difference between us.

What about confident guys who just tend to be a little quiet, but not necessarily shy?

If I made a list of pros and cons for what I looked for in a guy , I wouldn't put this on the negative side. Nothing wrong with being a little quiet :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Thanks.

Why is the anon?
intelligent, down to earth and caring are probably most important for me
Reply 13
People who say appearance doesn't matter are lying to themselves. Nobody wants to go out with an extremely intelligent person who looks like a munter...
intelligent but not in an arrogant way, kind, thoughtful, caring, good hugger, funny, easy to talk to - like a best friend who you really like :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending