The Student Room Group

Unable to attend work trial :/

I had an interview at Wetherspoons and I was invited back for a work trial. The only problem is that I need to wear a black shirt, black trousers and black shoes. The past job I used to just wear jeans, my shirt was provided by the company and my shoes kind of broke. So I'm needing to purchase all 3 items to do this work trial.

I didn't think this would be any problem as I was due a JSA payment yesterday and I wouldn't mind investing. I got nothing yesterday and decided to wait until today and nothing. I rang in and it turns out that I'v been sanctioned for not actively seeking for work. In my booklet, I'm required to do 14 things fortnight and I only had 10.

So that means I'm not going to have any income for at least 4 weeks now and unable to buy anything for this work trial. By sanctioning me they're actually preventing me from getting work!

And just to rub salt into the womb, they still expect me to be able to do 14 things a week, turn up to my appointment on Friday and then sign on every fortnight.

How do they expect you do seek for work with no money at all? Chances are that my mum will cancel the internet if she gets no money off me. She's done it before :/
Reply 1
Seems like you should have made the effort to apply for one job per day.
I have to say 14 things is just insane.

Best to record everything and then simply flesh it out with bull****. For example you went to the shops "looked in shop windows for job adverts" or spent an evening on the internet becomes "checked job centre website", "checked XXXX companies website", "checked YYYYY Companies website", Checked reed.com.... Etc (you don't even have to have done these things as they cannot tell, but 14 is very high)
Reply 3
What did you wear to the interview?
Reply 4
14 things? It was 3 things and 3 jobs a few years back when I was on the dole!

I'm sorry to hear you're so badly off. Can't you borrow the clothes/money off a friend or relative, dye a shirt black if you have another colour?

You can go to the library for the Internet.

If you really can't get the clothes in time I'd suggest you ring up Wetherspoon's and tell them about your hardship, I expect they could re-arrange the date, give you a spare shirt or something of that nature.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Muct

And just to rub salt into the womb

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha WOUND not womb! Points if you've done it to a womb though. Post findings :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by WarriorInAWig
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha WOUND not womb! Points if you've done it to a womb though. Post findings :biggrin:

You found that way to amusing :K:
Why don't you try to borrow the clothes for your work trial from a family member or some friends? If you get the job you can then get some of your own.
Original post by M1011
You found that way to amusing :K:

I got carried away with typing h then a! :P
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies. Wasn't expecting my mum to do this because she's paid for so much recently but she spent just over £100 on getting me some clothes. Reason it's so much is because she said if I don't get the job, I might as well have some decent shoes I can wear haha. So hoping all goes well at my work trial! :smile:
Original post by M1011
Seems like you should have made the effort to apply for one job per day.

There just aren't enough suitable jobs to apply for. A lot of them require experience or are a bit out my league :P
Original post by Politics Student
I have to say 14 things is just insane.

Best to record everything and then simply flesh it out with bull****. For example you went to the shops "looked in shop windows for job adverts" or spent an evening on the internet becomes "checked job centre website", "checked XXXX companies website", "checked YYYYY Companies website", Checked reed.com.... Etc (you don't even have to have done these things as they cannot tell, but 14 is very high)

Not too sure if my advisor's lying to me or not. She said that seven a week is the bare minimum people now have to do. I agree it is a lot because job searching isn't about quantity it's about quality. If I sent out one decent application as opposed to sending out several rushed applications I would think I would have a better chance with just sending one decent one.
Original post by crazybored
What did you wear to the interview?
Black converse, dark blue jeans and a navy shirt. Smart-casual really. I did explain that I didn't have anything else to wear and she seemed pretty ok about it. I had a look on their Facebook page to see what their staff wore and they didn't look like they had a strict uniform. Some people wore white, some black and some grey. One of the girls had like a navy pair of trousers on too.

Original post by Arekkusu
14 things? It was 3 things and 3 jobs a few years back when I was on the dole!

I'm sorry to hear you're so badly off. Can't you borrow the clothes/money off a friend or relative, dye a shirt black if you have another colour?

You can go to the library for the Internet.

If you really can't get the clothes in time I'd suggest you ring up Wetherspoon's and tell them about your hardship, I expect they could re-arrange the date, give you a spare shirt or something of that nature.
I still think it's 6 things for most people. I'v spoken to others on JSA and they're only doing 3 things and they actually live a lot closer to the city centre where the majority of jobs are. Out of everybody I know I'm the skinniest and shortest haha. I'm 5ft7 but I have quite broad shoulders meaning a small seams too short on me and a medium seams too large on me. First world problems. Every shirt I own is designer so I wouldn't dare dye one :P Luckily my mums got me some things.

Original post by WarriorInAWig

Haha oh god! One of those words I don't type often and didn't think =p I guess that's why they say the English language is one of the most difficult to learn! Even as a first language we still make mistakes =p

Original post by tooty_flute
Why don't you try to borrow the clothes for your work trial from a family member or some friends? If you get the job you can then get some of your own.
Awkward sizing xD
Reply 10
Original post by Muct
I had an interview at Wetherspoons and I was invited back for a work trial. The only problem is that I need to wear a black shirt, black trousers and black shoes. The past job I used to just wear jeans, my shirt was provided by the company and my shoes kind of broke. So I'm needing to purchase all 3 items to do this work trial.

I didn't think this would be any problem as I was due a JSA payment yesterday and I wouldn't mind investing. I got nothing yesterday and decided to wait until today and nothing. I rang in and it turns out that I'v been sanctioned for not actively seeking for work. In my booklet, I'm required to do 14 things fortnight and I only had 10.

So that means I'm not going to have any income for at least 4 weeks now and unable to buy anything for this work trial. By sanctioning me they're actually preventing me from getting work!

And just to rub salt into the womb, they still expect me to be able to do 14 things a week, turn up to my appointment on Friday and then sign on every fortnight.

How do they expect you do seek for work with no money at all? Chances are that my mum will cancel the internet if she gets no money off me. She's done it before :/

Do as I suggested: tell them their demands are having a negative affect on your jobseeking (this is actual proof). I would also look at putting in a formal complaint now as well.

There are usually some funds available to buy clothes for interviews etc. so it is worth asking about that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending