The Student Room Group

are those against GM crops just ignorant/ naive?

Poll

do you support GM crops?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm quite new.

I remember learning about GM crops in biology one time. We learnt about the whole process and at the end, everyone voted in favour of them!Does this indicate that those against them dont properly understand them and realise the benefits they could bring? Do you support them? When I'm on my pc I'll edit in info about them for those who haven't studied them in detail.

Why has someone clicked no? Why are you against stopping world hunger? NW86 !?!?!? would anyone who clicks no please explain why they have?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I support them, i suspect its the religious brigade.
Reply 2
Yeah, saying how unatural it is. Although a lot of hate seems to come from green peace who only want organic/ free range foods that are all ethical and happy. Even though GM foods would solve a lot of world hunger as it means that places in Africa with lots of droughts and poor soil can grow crops.
Reply 3
In favour, of course. The only thing that scares me is this (albeit highly unlikely) scenario.

Edit: Not sure if it matters, but I had no idea that article was over 10 years old.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I voted no.... While I think that GM Crops should be used, I don't think those against it are ignorant at all. I think they are fully aware of the potential benefits, but they feel this is not outweighed by the potential risks. That's not ignorance, it's just putting a different weight behind the pros and cons of GM food.

I've copied below a few points around the issues with GM food as I think they are very valid to be honest:

The growing of GM crops could result in cross-pollination between GM crops and non-GM and organic crops thereby contaminating them.

The long term impacts on human health, food safety or the environment cannot be accurately predicted. For example GM crops which have additional proteins or altered genetic composition could result in toxic and allergic reactions in certain people.

GM crop developments to date have largely benefited northern countries and markets, not small scale farmers in the developing world. Food security lies in the more equal distribution of food, access to land and money by the poor.
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21

Yes, I'm against GM crops because God did not intend for their genes to be changed :colone:

Fantastic generalistation
Reply 6
Original post by anony.mouse

Why has someone clicked no? Why are you against stopping world hunger? NW86 !?!?!?

Because you've edited your post and edited the question.

You asked if people against GM Crops were ignorant. Not, "Are you against GM crops"

Those are two totally different questions.
Reply 7
Original post by NW86
The growing of GM crops could result in cross-pollination between GM crops and non-GM and organic crops thereby contaminating them..

So, then all plants would the become drought/disease resistant. Why's that bad. They're being tested in labs a lot to amke sure they're safe.

Original post by NW86
The long term impacts on human health, food safety or the environment cannot be accurately predicted. For example GM crops which have additional proteins or altered genetic composition could result in toxic and allergic reactions in certain people. .

That's why they've been tested in labs first and still are being tested.

Original post by NW86
GM crop developments to date have largely benefited northern countries and markets, not small scale farmers in the developing world. Food security lies in the more equal distribution of food, access to land and money by the poor.
Yes, but then all we need to do is give those farmers in Africa the seeds, it's only a simple logistical issue.
Reply 8
Original post by NW86

You asked if people against GM Crops were ignorant. Not, "Are you against GM crops"

You can't edit the poll question which has been the same and what I always intended it to be :rolleyes: But the poll question is related to the thread.
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21

What are the religious reasons against GM crops?
Reply 10
So, then all plants would the become drought/disease resistant. Why's that bad. They're being tested in labs a lot to amke sure they're safe.

It is not yet known whether artificial insertion of genes could destabilize an organism, encouraging mutations, or whether the inserted gene itself will keep stable in the plant over generations. You could cross polinate all the natural crops in an area and then find out that a specific type of disease wipes out everything, including the originally resistant natural/organic/whatever crops.

That's why they've been tested in labs first and still are being tested.

Lab testing simply cannot fully account for the way that GM crops will act in a natural environment

Yes, but then all we need to do is give those farmers in Africa the seeds, it's only a simple logistical issue.

Now you are being naive, why would the corporations who have spent millions developing these crop samples give them away? They are being developed to be resistant and profitable, nor for the benefit of the third world.

Also 1. The question in the thread title is completely different to the question in the poll, so that's pretty confusing for a start.

Also 2. Go back and read the first line of my first comment and then realise arguing with me is pointless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Isn't this just the same principle as the cross-species breeding of vegetables which has brought us tastier new varieties of vegetables that are more resistant to certain aspects of our weather. So does this mean the eco-weirdos who oppose GM Crops, of whom there are some, are also opposed to the vast majority of vegetables? I doubt it.
Reply 12
Original post by Gouki
What are the religious reasons against GM crops?

Mainly that its unnatural which is why is they don't support cloning ect..

I'm firmly at odds with them because i support 'liberal eugenics' in general and as such am all for designer babies, genome manipulation and GM crops.

Humanity has the means to feed its population, there should be no restrictions on doing so.
Reply 13
Original post by Rakas21
Mainly that its unnatural which is why is they don't support cloning ect..

I'm firmly at odds with them because i support 'liberal eugenics' in general and as such am all for designer babies, genome manipulation and GM crops.

Humanity has the means to feed its population, there should be no restrictions on doing so.

Are you dizzy blud
Reply 14
Original post by Gouki
Are you dizzy blud

I don't mean in terms of making a blonde baby but in terms of our ability now to alter certain genes to prevent certain diseases and if possible increase potential intelligence.
When people harp on about "we don't know the long-term repercussions , I have absolutely no idea what these long-term effects could be. Can someone fill me in on that?
Reply 16
Original post by NW86

There's no law saying that the question in the OP and poll have to be exactly the same. I wanted to see who was against it and why - to see if they actually understand GM crops.
Reply 17
Original post by wrexhamfc
When people harp on about "we don't know the long-term repercussions , I have absolutely no idea what these long-term effects could be. Can someone fill me in on that?

There are none.

Some people think that certain plants will germinate everywhere - not an issue since we are quite capable of knocking down the fertile Amazon and Congo forests.

Some people may get an allergic reaction - minimal.
Reply 18
If a pest resistance gene crossed into other plants it'd be bye bye butterfly... And any other plant eating insect... And all the birds, bats etc which live on plant eating insects.

Forcing 3rd world farmers to buy seed every season from biotech companies instead of saving a portion of their own seed each year makes them vulnerable to future price gouging.

Patenting genes is creepy.
Reply 19
I'm in favour, but am wary of unintentionally (or even intentionally by some evil biologist :tongue:) bad genes being spread to other crops, essentially spreading a genetic disease which could do them, us or other living things harm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending