The Student Room Group

Is it okay to proofread another student's work?

Is it okay for a university student to proofread another university student's work?
I was speaking to my tutor about this because I quite enjoy proofreading (nerd alert) and have friends who ask me to proofread their work for them every now and then, she said that this may be illegal and asked me to look it up just in case it is. :confused:
I'm confused about this because we're always told that we should get someone else to check our work for us! All I really ever do is correct typos and grammar.

On the other hand, she did tell me to try doing proofreading as a job for money! o.O
bump?
Reply 2
Proof reading isn't illegal. You're just checking peoples spelling and grammar so if there is anything illegal about that then the world has actually gone insane. You should try proof reading for money. It'll be a good way to get extra cash :smile:
If the work's being assessed to form part of your final grade then you might find it's against the rules, but just for normal essays etc. then it should be fine. There's definitely nothing more they can do than say they don't like you doing it, and if you're only correcting typos/grammar (and not copying it to use yourself :P ) then they shouldn't even notice.

And if people will pay you for it...
Original post by thecoverup
Proof reading isn't illegal. You're just checking peoples spelling and grammar so if there is anything illegal about that then the world has actually gone insane. You should try proof reading for money. It'll be a good way to get extra cash :smile:

Original post by Rob da Mop
If the work's being assessed to form part of your final grade then you might find it's against the rules, but just for normal essays etc. then it should be fine. There's definitely nothing more they can do than say they don't like you doing it, and if you're only correcting typos/grammar (and not copying it to use yourself :P ) then they shouldn't even notice.

And if people will pay you for it...

Haha I usually proofread for people who aren't doing the same course as me, mainly because I find it a lot more interesting to be able to read into different subjects!

Glad to know I'm not doing anything illegal :biggrin: Thank you very much!
There's nothing wrong with proofreading another's work, however it does become an issue if you decide to copy it! If you don't and you're just checking for spelling and grammar etc. you'll be fine.
As long as it is a proofread and not an edit I'd say it was fine. I did it for a lot of my friends!
Reply 7
I'm sure its not illegal! If you were telling them what to change content wise, that would be a different matter :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending