The Student Room Group

Why is finding work so gosh darn difficult?

I've been applying for jobs here, there and everywhere from the age of 17 and to this date (now 19, nearly 20) I've only ever managed to grab one interview, which was on the spot for bar work and even then I didn't get called again afterwards.

I was incredibly depressed from the time I left college at 17 and so it's been even more difficult, but I'm really motivated to find a job now until I can go back to college in September, although I don't specify this on my CV in case it puts anyone off. I've been applying for at least one job every day - sometimes up to about five if I can manage to find that many.

I got a callback for a sales job, but it was quite apparent that they were slimy buggers because they asked me to register as self employed, patently so that they didn't have to pay me minimum wage. I wouldn't have minded this really, but I have no sales experience and I have other commitments to think about, so if I sucked at it I'd be royally screwed.

I've handed in my CV to shops and supermarkets that I know accept them (sometimes), such as Aldi, ASDA, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc and I've done some voluntary retail work, so I have at least some experience in that area.

I'm at a point now where it seems impossible to find work and I don't know what to do.

Does anyone know of anywhere that I could apply for? If it helps I live in Preston, or rather just on the outskirts of it.

The only issue that I have is that I can't work weekends. Not because I'm lazy, but I see my girlfriend at the weekend and she lives 30 miles away. She helped me get through my depression and I know that if I had to make a compromise then I'd end up back in square one and never leave my house due to depression again.

:c

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Geralt
The only issue that I have is that I can't work weekends. Not because I'm lazy, but I see my girlfriend at the weekend and she lives 30 miles away. She helped me get through my depression and I know that if I had to make a compromise then I'd end up back in square one and never leave my house due to depression again.

:c

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I think saying you can't work weekends is holding you back. Two things you should think about - firstly, you don't have to say outright you can't work weekends. Most lower paid/unskilled jobs are at least semi-flexible. Go in there saying you can work wherever, then ask if you can work as few weekends as possible. Find people to swap with if you can, or make friends with whoever allocates shifts. Secondly, you say you're depressed and to be honest, getting a job forces you to get out of the house and will probably help you more in that sense than you realise. It's worth it even if it means compromising a few days of not seeing your girlfriend.

The best advice I can give you in terms of successfully getting a job is to really put a lot of effort in to applications (if it's your CV then spend a while perfecting it/get someone to look at it, if it's online application forms then spend a few hours getting it absolutely perfect). And in interviews, from my own experience the most important thing in this type of work is coming across as really friendly and enthusiastic, smiling as much as you can, and making yourself seem as outgoing as possible.
You see, I'm skeptical these days about people taking forever to get a job. Sure, there isn't many jobs that require specific requirements, but there seems to be plenty of part time and seasonal jobs out there, you just need to look for them and try your best to get them. A lot of people think they're above mcdonalds and such and don't bother at the interview, but at the end of the day, a job is a job. A lot of people also sit and wait for jobs to come to them. Don't just apply online, you're very unlikely to get a job that way! Go around different places, all kinds of places and ask if they have any work. Even if they don't, at least you've shown an interest and ask if they can keep your name and number if they ever get any work to bare you in mind.

The job I'm working at now I got by simply persevering and asking them. They didn't have any advertisements for jobs, nor did I know them or anything like that. However, I emailed them in the summer holidays to see if they had anything. They said they didn't but told me they'd keep their names on record. I emailed again about 4 weeks later, after I came back off holiday. They got back to me the next day and said they still didn't have any jobs but to come in and put a name to a face. I went in the next day and they asked me to come in for a trial shift the day after. After my trial shift...I had a job!
Reply 3
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
A lot of people think they're above mcdonalds and such and don't bother at the interview

I've applied for McDonalds and I didn't hear anything back; I'm not above any job right now. And I do ask for vacancies at local shops. Just picked up an application form for one that I'm filling out as I'm typing this.
Reply 4
Applied for Mcdonald's again and some bar work. Still not heard a single thing back from any of the places I've applied for in the past several months. No rejections, no interviews, nothing. I'm not even applying for things that require experience or qualifications.

The only two interviews I got were from sales jobs that were patently trying to screw everybody over. Commission only basis, so no minimum wage and with no sales experience I'd probably fall flat on my face on the first day and end up earning nothing.

Is everyone having this much trouble nowadays?
Original post by Geralt
Applied for Mcdonald's again and some bar work. Still not heard a single thing back from any of the places I've applied for in the past several months. No rejections, no interviews, nothing. I'm not even applying for things that require experience or qualifications.

The only two interviews I got were from sales jobs that were patently trying to screw everybody over. Commission only basis, so no minimum wage and with no sales experience I'd probably fall flat on my face on the first day and end up earning nothing.

Is everyone having this much trouble nowadays?

Hiya, I was in a similar situation up until recently. I was applying for everything I could and getting zero responses.

Have you had your CV checked? Just to make sure that's it's perfect - there is a CV checking service here on TSR and you could ask to see an advisor at Connexions.

Also, whatever experience you have (work experience or maybe a part time job you had in the past?) absolutely sell it on your CV/job applications. Make sure you're highlighting your skills as much as possible.

Regarding McDonald's and those kind of jobs which require little experience - be very persistent. McDonald's have a huge staff turnover (i.e people come and go constantly) so new positions become available weekly - sometimes even daily. So Google all the McDonald's in travelling distance from your home (say up to 1 hour away by bus) and check online to see if any of them have vacancies. If they do, apply. If you don't get a response/get rejected, keep applying. I once got a job after applying to the same store 4 times.

Another thing - once you've had your CV checked, print about 50 copies. Go to your local town centre and hand them to any store that will take them (put them in envelopes with your name and 'CV' on the front - looks better than just handing a piece of paper in). Then go to other places like local high streets outside of the town centre and do the same thing.

It's quite a difficult thing to do because sometimes you just feel so unhappy and have low confidence - but you need to keep going - walk into the store, smile, be polite, offer the CV. Try to give yourself a target e.g. hand out at least 10 CVs in the town centre - put it on a date on your calendar. Do the same on a another day for a local high street.

In the meantime, while you are unemployed, if you have the money to travel a couple of days a week (just bus journeys or even a bike/walk) try to find a local voluntary opportunity because you can add those skills on to your CV and the fact that you are doing something show prospective employers that you are willing to work hard. I know that even voluntary stuff is hard to get at the moment, but it's work a try - have a look on here: http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Hope something comes your way soon :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice.

I'm already volunteering at Age Concern, so I've got some retail experience down on there. I've asked someone to look over my CV already, but they haven't gotten back to me, so I'll be calling to find out why tomorrow. As for walking around, this is exactly what I intend to do on Friday. I need to be in town anyway, so I'll print off 30 or so CVs and get to it.

Mcdonald's don't seem to list any vacancies in local restaurants, no matter how many times I check, so I'll probably go into the one I know and fill out an application form.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Do you know of any way in which I can search for jobs that don't require prior experience? I've been trying to figure this out for a while because all of the job search sites don't accept punctuation like Google does, so quoting "no experience" doesn't work.
(edited 11 years ago)
All I can say is keep going and never give up soon you will get there and wonder why it took so long.

For inspiration

My sister applied to Mcdonalds while at College she did not get it she did care assistant while studying and now a Pharmacist.

I started looking for jobs when I turned 16 did not get a job until I turned 17 and although Primark turned me down guess what got offered a job at Marks and Spencer and now a shareholder I joined in 2007 left 2011.

So no matter what never give up and soon you will get something better than you hoped for.

Also Christmas jobs is a good way to gain work experience and also heard Royal mail recruit during this busy season as trust experience is invaluable they all ask for it.
Reply 8
I'm not too keen on the idea of a Christmas job simply because I'll be back where I started afterwards. I'd rather have something I can stick at for a while, especially as a first job.
Original post by Geralt
I'm not too keen on the idea of a Christmas job simply because I'll be back where I started afterwards. I'd rather have something I can stick at for a while, especially as a first job.

What? You're joking, right?

I just completed a maths degree and I've just started work in a Christmas temp retail position. I don't think you value the experience of going in, meeting your colleagues and doing work. It's not just about what you put on your CV, it's also about growing as a person.

A Christmas job undoubtedly gets you a first hand view into working life and gives you unparalleled insight into how an employer's mind works.

In any case, you aren't in the "same" position afterwards because you have recent experience to fall back on. In addition, this experience counts well when you're applying for other jobs in the next 3 years.

There's just... no disadvantage to taking a Christmas job. Like, none. Just do it.
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
You see, I'm skeptical these days about people taking forever to get a job. Sure, there isn't many jobs that require specific requirements, but there seems to be plenty of part time and seasonal jobs out there, you just need to look for them and try your best to get them. A lot of people think they're above mcdonalds and such and don't bother at the interview, but at the end of the day, a job is a job. A lot of people also sit and wait for jobs to come to them. Don't just apply online, you're very unlikely to get a job that way! Go around different places, all kinds of places and ask if they have any work. Even if they don't, at least you've shown an interest and ask if they can keep your name and number if they ever get any work to bare you in mind.

The job I'm working at now I got by simply persevering and asking them. They didn't have any advertisements for jobs, nor did I know them or anything like that. However, I emailed them in the summer holidays to see if they had anything. They said they didn't but told me they'd keep their names on record. I emailed again about 4 weeks later, after I came back off holiday. They got back to me the next day and said they still didn't have any jobs but to come in and put a name to a face. I went in the next day and they asked me to come in for a trial shift the day after. After my trial shift...I had a job!

I actually think that you're being incredibly disrespectful to people who are trying HARD to look for a job. Some people don't have the time to pester shops individually- imagine if you kept trying and HADN'T got a job, it was a bit risky putting so much energy into that one job.

Some places are undoubtably easier to find work than others. In my town, there are literally no opportunities in shops, and even volunteering in charity shops as a waiting list at the moment because of the fact that all the school leavers are doing it for "experience".

I'm so pleased that you have a job, but you were lucky. To say that you don't think there's a problem just because you personally managed to find a job is a little silly. There is clearly a problem, and to deny that fact is ridiculous.
You yourself you said you were offered a job but turned it down... So what if it turned out to be below minimum wage? As long as you weren't getting 50p an hour, you'd be getting some money and at the very least you'd have something to put on your CV - plus you could continue the job search while you were working.

You also refuse to work weekends and seemingly refuse to take Christmas positions? No wonder you can't get a job! There are hundreds of thousands of people applying for thousands of jobs - you cannot just pick and choose what you want to do... (Well, if you want to then of course you can - but don't moan employers aren't tailoring jobs to you personally when there are thousands of people willing to do it as-is).
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I actually think that you're being incredibly disrespectful to people who are trying HARD to look for a job. Some people don't have the time to pester shops individually- imagine if you kept trying and HADN'T got a job, it was a bit risky putting so much energy into that one job.

Some places are undoubtably easier to find work than others. In my town, there are literally no opportunities in shops, and even volunteering in charity shops as a waiting list at the moment because of the fact that all the school leavers are doing it for "experience".

I'm so pleased that you have a job, but you were lucky. To say that you don't think there's a problem just because you personally managed to find a job is a little silly. There is clearly a problem, and to deny that fact is ridiculous.

It's not just that they personally got a job though, millions of people get work by putting in higher-than-average effort. While the OP is clearly trying to get a job, they are categorically not trying as hard as they could be.
Reply 13
Have you tried asking for work experience instead? I know lots of places if you just ask to work for a few days for say 2 weeks, then when they have a job open apply for it and if your lucky they will remember you and know you worked hard (if you did) i know you won't be getting paid for this for just work exp, but it adds to your CV and makes it more desirable

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 14
Why not look beyond retail and restaurant/bar work? In almost all threads like this moaning about lack of work the jobs people are chasing are in those sectors. Go to an agency and see what work they've got going. Next week I start my 12th job since leaving school 7 years ago. Only 1 of those was in retail. Try warehouse/factory/farm/groundscare/labouring jobs. You might not keep them for long, but even if they're advertised as temp jobs they can often become longer term jobs. When everyone's looking for the same jobs look for something different.
Reply 15
open a burger van.

if i hear one more person whinge about 'unemployment' arrrgg!!

god, go clean toilets then if your that desperate for a job ? I did everything when i was your age ffs.
UK is terrible for youth jobs. Reason being there's not enough variation for part time jobs! Here in Canada you can pretty much get a job anywhere, the mall, tourist attractions, Downtown, ski resorts. What does the UK have? High streets full of bakeries and pubs... That's it really...

It's not your fault you can't find a job, it's just the number of people living in the UK and the little amounts of stores/areas providing jobs. I bet if the UK built more malls, shopping centers rather then keeping it old fashioned to high streets it would help the economy, but sadly thats not the case. It's cute the UK wants to keep it's scenery and old school high streets but with that comes a price of high unemployment.

In the UK it took me two months of job search before I got a job as a bartender, in Canada it took me a week without even trying that hard since there's much variation in jobs rather than pubs/supermarkets.
Are you sporty? A lot of people I know got their first job as a teenager, getting qualified on a basic level in teaching a sport that they had done previously and enjoyed. For me that was gymnastics. Then at uni I got a job in my uni library just by asking (I had no front line customer service experience, but I eneded up working there for 2 years) Have you tried libraries or local museums?
If you think you'll be in the same position next summer, and you like working with children, try Camp America or CCUSA? Or there are English equivalents if you don't want to spend a summer abroad.
Have you put out local adverts for babysitting?! Worth a try.
Reply 18
Original post by ifstatement
What does the UK have? High streets full of bakeries and pubs... That's it really...

....What on earth are you talking about? Medieval views of Britain by the sounds of things.

Original post by ifstatement
I bet if the UK built more malls, shopping centers rather then keeping it old fashioned to high streets it would help the economy, but sadly thats not the case. It's cute the UK wants to keep it's scenery and old school high streets but with that comes a price of high unemployment.

Absolutely ridiculous. No-one wants the americanised malls that you have anyway. This would absolutely not help the economy in any way, not to mention the fact that many malls have already been built here anyway. Our beautiful historic scenery that your country does not possess is what keeps us unique, and is largely what tourists are attracted too. Our economy would take a hit with reduced tourism for this reason.

Plus, why preach about Canada? I'm pretty sure that no-one cares about Canada, not to mention the fact that by comparing Canada to the UK does not help the OP in any way at all.

OP, you really need to change your view on Christmas jobs. You say how difficult it is to find a job, but then say you're 'not keen' on a christmas job. I've applied for around 100 jobs since July and haven't gotten any, EXCEPT for christmas jobs I applied for. They're an invaluable way to get your foot in the door.
Original post by music788
....What on earth are you talking about? Medieval views of Britain by the sounds of things.

Well Britain is pretty old fashioned compared to other countries (Australia & Canada for instance) if you ask me, but hey that's just my opinion. I mean compare Melbourne to say Manchester.

Absolutely ridiculous. No-one wants the americanised malls that you have anyway. This would absolutely not help the economy in any way, not to mention the fact that many malls have already been built here anyway. Our beautiful historic scenery that your country does not possess is what keeps us unique, and is largely what tourists are attracted too. Our economy would take a hit with reduced tourism for this reason.

Lol, see this is exactly the reason why the UK has such poor unemployement rate. You guys just don't want to expand your businesses. Except you want to keep your hordes of green fields just to stare at instead of helping your own economy, cute.

It's amusing how so many people in the UK are complaining about there not being enough jobs to go around the UK YET they are not willing to agree to the idea of expanding businesses to create more jobs for youth, since it would ruin the nice green scenary *sob*... which does not help the Economy lol

And we have lots of sceneary in Canada, Lots of vast lakes and huge mountains with SNOW. :colone:

Plus, why preach about Canada? I'm pretty sure that no-one cares about Canada, not to mention the fact that by comparing Canada to the UK does not help the OP in any way at all

Hey, just stating facts. Just trying to reassure OP it's not his/her fault they can't find a job in the poor economy the UK has put itself into.

Oh and I'm sure people do care about Canada, Thousands of brits are moving to Canada every year because the UK's economy has just gone down the gutter now. Face it I mean I'm half Brit myself, I do not want to admit it but I have to, the UK job market is AWFUL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending