The Student Room Group

Why is finding work so gosh darn difficult?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wanderlust.xx
No, you have some persistence. You clearly don't have enough. You need to start somewhere - anywhere - to get started. You think people want to work in fashion retail all their lives? God no. But it's a start. In a recession. When the whole world doesn't have money. Trying is what counts, and that's what graduate employers like. People who whine, "oh but it's on weekends and I see my girlfriend on weekends" or "oh but it's only a temp job, I can't be arsed with that!" will find it difficult to get anywhere.

They're ridiculous self-imposed constraints that leave you trailing behind the large number of un/underemployed graduates with a better degree from a better university, and above all, a better work ethic.

Why should a graduate employer hire you over someone who's intelligent and proactive? There's no reason. Not one. Hell, even if there's someone less intelligent who comes across as someone who doesn't quit, he'll probably have more of a shot than you.

The thing with persistence is that it's a remarkably empathic trait. People love a character that keeps trying despite setbacks. Look at films like Skyfall, Toy Story, Slumdog Millionaire, Inception, Star Wars... the main characters kept trying no matter how unfathomably hopeless their situation was. I know they're movies, and I know they're not real, but there's a reason why those character archetypes keep the world enthralled.

It's up to you. I'm just a friendly person trying to help over the internet. What do I care if you don't listen? Point is, you know I'm right but you won't take action because you're just that type of a person.

I made a thread just like this where I was just fed up with life and wanted a change. Someone quoted me and told me to "man up" and "stop whinging". It hurt, but it was true. Whinging and moaning will just sink you further into a cesspool of depression. Doing something - anything - is better than doing nothing. Small steps.

Which is of course entirely relevant to this thread :facepalm:
Reply 41
I have been applying of ages and now all of a sudden I have 3 interviews across Monday and Tuesday.

Just stick at it I suppose.
Reply 42
Just keep applying OP. Although you need to drop the 'I don't want to work weekends' attitude or you are not going to get anywhere. If you are applying to retail and other jobs alike you need to be flexible and this includes working weekends. Everyone else has to work weekends. Good luck with your job search.
Reply 43
Original post by callum9999
If you're not refusing them then why did you bother mentioning it at all?

Other thing to pay for? Like what?

I mentioned it because I wasn't sure if it was worth being laid off at the end. And I have to pay my mother to stay living with her. Unfortunately I don't come from a well off family and my dad's disabled and can't work. I'd love to say that it doesn't matter how much I make, but it does. I was also paying to study a Biology A-level. I cancelled that the other day though because it's too expensive for me to continue. Depression seems to be exactly where I'm heading again. My girlfriend helped me to overcome that and it's the precise reason why I'm trying to avoid missing out on seeing her.

So yeah... I understand I'm asking for a lot, but I'll keep going I suppose.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by MrHappy_J
gosh you must be the pride and joy of Canada.

I'd rather live here than in some country that has snow during most of the year.

for your information the economy here is recovering, do keep up with the news or don't comment on what you dont know. yeah it's still ****, but if I moved to Canada i'm sure i'd miss a lot of the things this country has to offer.

the other guy said it all really.

Ignoring the cliché about Canada, you are wrong on a number of points.

The British economy is not recovering. A once in a lifetime event (Olympics) meant marginal growth of 0.5% GDP and a small fall in unemployment in certain areas. But this effect is short term. Underlying trends which indicate the health of the general economy are still negative: construction output is down again and more large businesses have gone into administration.

Also, Westfield is not 'the largest mall in Europe'. It is not even the largest in England. Both the Metrocentre in Newcastle and the Trafford Centre in Manchester are bigger.
Original post by MrHappy_J
gosh you must be the pride and joy of Canada.

I'd rather live here than in some country that has snow during most of the year.

for your information the economy here is recovering, do keep up with the news or don't comment on what you dont know. yeah it's still ****, but if I moved to Canada i'm sure i'd miss a lot of the things this country has to offer.

Lol your unemployment rate is shockingly high and it doesn't snow here in Vancouver most of the year, infact Vancouver has been rated #1 most livable city worldwide. Suck on that would you :wink:

Haha I love you English folk really though. I do miss the chocolate but besides that nothing much else.
Because there are many more people than there are actual jobs. Any job that you apply to in London will have hundreds if not thousands of other applicants.
Method (1) to get a job -- network. I got two part time jobs which I worked at the same time for a large-ish chunk of summer within about a week of starting looking, just by talking to people and asking them to talk to other people.

Method (2) -- go round places, but don't just "hand in your cv". You speak to the manager. Personally. In the building, when you've walked in. Otherwise, you don't get the job. They've got millions of CVs on their desks already. If you don't speak to them personally and win the job they've no reason at all to choose you; you just go to the bottom of the pile.
Reply 48
I found a website that was really good in helping to write my cv and covering letter.. it gave loads of examples and it also advertises vacancies. I would really recommend signing up, i've been using it to find a job myself and its been really helpful!

http://www.grb.uk.com/sbm/798
Original post by ifstatement
Lol your unemployment rate is shockingly high and it doesn't snow here in Vancouver most of the year, infact Vancouver has been rated #1 most livable city worldwide. Suck on that would you :wink:

Haha I love you English folk really though. I do miss the chocolate but besides that nothing much else.

and you're proof that patriotism really is an ugly trait. you should get that looked at.
"suck on that would you" - grow up.
Reply 50

British* not English. Typical, ignorant Canadian/American cliche.
Reply 51
Not necessarily opening up more retail stores

That is EXACTLY what you said in your post to me. This backtracking is proof that you're clueless.

But then again, poor economy in UK = Depression = Lead to drinking = Loads of people going to the pub to get drunk = $$$. So it's understandable.

I think you mean '£££'.

Lol, I can honestly say that Canada, in the eyes of the British, is one of the most insignificant countries in the world, and one that is hardly thought of. I'd forgotten it existed until you popped up. At least Britain is one of the central countries of the world.
Reply 52
Never let your hands down even if you were unsuccessful in the majority of your time. Have a target to get the job and you'll get it. There are lots of people applying for the same jobs as you do, a huge competition and seeing lots of rejections makes you feel depressed, just don't give up :smile:
Reply 53
Got a job interview tomorrow for a fundraising job. Wage is good, hours are good, job seems good. 'Sall good.

We'll see how that goes.
Reply 54
Original post by Geralt
Got a job interview tomorrow for a fundraising job. Wage is good, hours are good, job seems good. 'Sall good.

We'll see how that goes.

Just it include weekend work?
Reply 55
Original post by Lmeechan
Just it include weekend work?

No, it doesn't. The interview went alright, just waiting to hear back.

Also, I applied for Pizza Hut, but they sent a rejection email back instantly. I know it's because it's automated, but I applied for a "team member" position and it said I can apply for shift manager too. The rejection showed the manager role, but not the regular team member one. Does this mean I've been rejected for both? The "Thank you for your application yada yada" email only states Team Member. :confused:
Reply 56
Original post by Geralt
No, it doesn't. The interview went alright, just waiting to hear back.

Also, I applied for Pizza Hut, but they sent a rejection email back instantly. I know it's because it's automated, but I applied for a "team member" position and it said I can apply for shift manager too. The rejection showed the manager role, but not the regular team member one. Does this mean I've been rejected for both? The "Thank you for your application yada yada" email only states Team Member. :confused:

Unless you have management/supervisor experience then presume that it means you have been rejected for the shift manager.
Reply 57
Alright then. I'm just wondering because I only got one email to confirm the application and one back for rejection. It only said shift manager at the bottom, so I'll assume the other went through okay. Then again, I also applied to KFC and got an instant acceptance email saying I'd get a call back as I met the criteria. They seem very similar.
UK is terrible for youth jobs. Reason being there's not enough variation for part time jobs! Here in Canada you can pretty much get a job anywhere, the mall, tourist attractions, Downtown, ski resorts.
I miss Canada! Lived there for a few months in 2005 and also didn't have any trouble finding a job (I worked at a nice fashion store in a Vancouver mall). I honestly reckon that if I had to live anywhere else besides Adelaide or Melbourne Australia, it'd probably be in Canada :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
In reply to this thread tho, lol, OP have you tried joining temping agencies? They're great for gaining experience and getting your foot in the door x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending