The Student Room Group

Do student finance deduct payments from temporary jobs?

I started a temp job at the start of the week and have not been able to inform Student Finance yet. Jus wondered if someone can help answer a few questions.

1) Do they deduct money for loan repayments from temp jobs?

Some information which may help:

* Working 37.5 hrs per week.
* Being paid weekly through agency
* Weekly earnings £250

2) Do I have to give them the details of my agency or the company im working for?

I have'nt informed them of my status since I graduated last July though I do have evidence to show that I was claims JSA for 6 months prior to this job.

3) Will I be fined, if so how much?
Reply 1
Original post by 'James Hunt'
I started a temp job at the start of the week and have not been able to inform Student Finance yet. Jus wondered if someone can help answer a few questions.

1) Do they deduct money for loan repayments from temp jobs?

Some information which may help:

* Working 37.5 hrs per week.
* Being paid weekly through agency
* Weekly earnings £250

2) Do I have to give them the details of my agency or the company im working for?

I have'nt informed them of my status since I graduated last July though I do have evidence to show that I was claims JSA for 6 months prior to this job.

3) Will I be fined, if so how much?

You will pay your loan if you earn enough money regardless of the job. This will be taken off just as tax does. Odds are on your wages you won't hit the threshold for repayments.
Reply 2
You will repay if you earn over the annual repayments threshold, which is £15,785 annually, IIRC.

This breaks down to a gross monthly salary of £1315.42.

If you earn more than this per month, you must make repayments.

If you are paid weekly, just substitute weekly figures.

When you fill out the agency paperwork, you will probably complete a P46 to enable them to calculate your tax code. There is a box that you will tick that says you have a student loan.

If you have a temporary job and a student loan and your annualised income is over the threshold, regardless of whether or not you will actually earn that because you won't be working for a year, your employer must still deduct repayments from your weekly/monthly pay.

For example - if the job is only temporary for six months, you still must make repayments based on your monthly income, but at the end of the year, if you have not earned over the annual threshold, you can claim a refund.

Hope this helps
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending