The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
IMHO the university's reputation is slightly inflated because it carries the city's name (only) in its name.

Can't go wrong with either, really. Academics worldwide would have heard of both. And so with anyone with a clue about economics.
Reply 21
Yeah, actually Chicago.
Reply 22
Knogle
IMHO the university's reputation is slightly inflated because it carries the city's name (only) in its name.

What do you mean by that? :confused:
Reply 23
Yep, go to Chicago
Reply 24
warblersrule
What do you mean by that? :confused:

Most people know about Chicago.. darn big city in the US. And let's not forget the popular Chicago Bulls. So when you refer to the University of Chicago many people will say that they've heard about it, when reality, they hardly know anything about it. You'd be surprised but this happens. (edit: fixed typo)
Reply 25
Ah, I see. U Chicago is often mistaken for a public university (as is U Penn), so I wasn't sure if you were alluding to that or not.
Knogle
Most people know about Chicago.. darn big city in the US. And let's not forget the popular Chicago Bulls. So when you refer to the University of Chicago many people will say that they've heard about it, when reality, they hardly know anything about it. You'd be surprised but this happens. (edit: fixed typo)

Increasingly, you will care less about 'most people' and more about 'important people' to you.
Reply 27
President_Ben
Increasingly, you will care less about 'most people' and more about 'important people' to you.

DITTO
Reply 28
President_Ben

Exactly.
Reply 29
Chicago is on par with Harvard, Prince and MIT.
Reply 30
ElWilson

as is the LSE
Reply 31
so yt660 ..walk away remebering the wise words everyones contributed. Look at both and see what you want in uni and which of the two fulfills that. but in my opinion, nothing beats an economics from the london school of ECONOMICS ( hehe sry to be sounding biased..but LSE does have the clear advantage here). HOWEVER, if you like the look of chicago, and degree from there will most certainly not hinder your employability prospects. best of luck to you mate!
drmoney89
so yt660 ..walk away remebering the wise words everyones contributed. Look at both and see what you want in uni and which of the two fulfills that. but in my opinion, nothing beats an economics from the london school of ECONOMICS ( hehe sry to be sounding biased..but LSE does have the clear advantage here). HOWEVER, if you like the look of chicago, and degree from there will most certainly not hinder your employability prospects. best of luck to you mate!

chicago is better due to research and faculty, there is no doubt about it. however reputationwise chicago is going down hill in the US. i mean the school is ranked with rice and notre dame and below washington university at st. louis. LSE's rep in the US might actually be better but i am not sure about the schools rep in Europe. chicago in the US is extremely underrated and a lot of people simply think it is a mediocre school in the top 20s and almost no one will turn down an ivy league for it now days
Reply 33
ElWilson

ElWilson, with all due respect, that statement of yours is severely misfounded. HYPSM is in an entirely different league.
Reply 34
jimmydoerre3
chicago is going down hill in the US.

I disagree; Chicago is more popular than ever. This year the RD acceptance rate was 33%, a tremendous jump down from it's usual 40%. Most people consider on par with the "lesser" Ivies, and you'd have to be delusional to think it's not much, much better than WUStL. The main reason Chicago's acceptance rate is that high is because it has early action (i.e. safety school). Switch to early decision (which I think it should), and its acceptance rate would go down, and yield would go up. Chicago also has something of a a self-selecting applicant pool, largely a result of its quirky reputation and daunting Uncommon Application.
warblersrule
I disagree; Chicago is more popular than ever. This year the RD acceptance rate was 33%, a tremendous jump down from it's usual 40%. Most people consider on par with the "lesser" Ivies, and you'd have to be delusional to think it's not much, much better than WUStL. The main reason Chicago's acceptance rate is that high is because it has early action (i.e. safety school). Switch to early decision (which I think it should), and its acceptance rate would go down, and yield would go up. Chicago also has something of a a self-selecting applicant pool, largely a result of its quirky reputation and daunting Uncommon Application.

the school is definitely much better than washu, i mean they do have 7 nobels on faculty and i think mearsheimer teaches there also. but the problem is that most people whom i have talked to thinks chicago is just some average top 20 school. academically i think it deserves to be put in the top 4 but it just doesn't get what it deserves reputation wise.
drmoney89
as is the LSE

Don't kid yourself.
Reply 37
Amen.
Chicago is a major multi faculty institution- on this basis alone comparison is difficult. LSE is very good for what it does, but it's a relatively small corner of the field.
Reply 39
dismal_laundry
Don't kid yourself.

im not kidding myself. many will tell you the LSE is second only to harvard when it comes to the social sciences.

Latest

Trending

Trending