The Student Room Group

I'm not sure what to make of this...

So recently, I started university, and naturally, you're going to make friends whilst you're there. I'm not generally the type that goes out drinking all the time, only on occasion, so I've fallen into a group of friends who are on a similar kind of way of life.

I've made a good variety of friends, both girls and boys, but one of the girls has truthfully had me extremely confused as of recent. I got to know her by absolute chance, only by the fact that we got placed in the same personal tutorial group. Over time, we've gotten to know each other, and truthfully, I've come around to liking her, but only to a limited extent.

When I added her on Facebook, it stated she was in a relationship with someone else, which was slightly downputting, but it's the way of life, there's always those kinds of people you'll kind of like that you can't get as a result of things such as that.

Naturally, that means that all attempts at trying to show/say that I liked her stopped right there, I just assumed friendship from then on. But as of recent, she has really been playing some interesting things, and now I'm completely and utterly confused.

First off, she absolutely will find me if she can when I'm around, if I leave a lecture quickly, she will absolutely sprint walk her way up to me so she can walk with me until her bus stop, and yet if I take my absolute time, she will wait around, or she will walk exceptionally slow until I go past, and then she'll say Hi and pick up the pace to be with me. On top of all this, she's now taken to sitting in the seat that I'm generally going to be in, near my friends, which generally results in her friends sitting near-by (I always sit in my group of friends, she's generally considered as a part of a different group, pretty much all girls).

Now, the next thing that has caught my attention is her apparent boyfriend... It appears that their relationship is long distance... Like... England to America long distance, probably spawned by the fact that she is a very nerdy/internet based kind of person. This is absurd, she likely hasn't met this person in her life, which kind of raised my eyebrow a little bit.

The next thing is conversing, she talks to me more often than him, phone, texts, internet. She asked for my number recently, despite her nervousness about asking, which I happily obliged to doing. She recently also claimed that she's had something on her mind she's been wanting to ask me about, but when I go to ask what, she always turns around and gives the answer of not being able to remember, perhaps a hint?

Here's the big thing that's intrigued me... I've noticed her conversations when she does speak to her boyfriend, only ever on Facebook in the library, they seem to be really really blunt to each other (I can't help but look over and peek, everyone's nosey when they want to be). I never see any kisses, I love you, hearts, or anything like that, it's like a normal conversation I would have with any person on this website.

The biggest thing that's got me was in a recent conversation, after I mentioned about a girl I used to help out with her relationship issues, she put the hint out to me that she wasn't in a relationship. I mentioned how I've never been in a relationship before, but plenty of girls tend to say that I give them great advice on how to manage their boyfriends, she said she has the same thing happen, how she's never been involved in any of it before, but her friends feel that her advice is still very good.

I don't want to get over my head about this, I could be entirely wrong, I have been in the past... But what does everyone else think about this? It's a very weird situation.
Reply 1
well first you need to find out more, maybe casually ask her about her boyfriend? Like casually.
"Does your boyfriend really live America?!"
"Is it hard being in a long distance relationship?" (You could ask that one when she is talking to him on Facebook)
"Do you fly over to America a lot?"
"So where in America have you been?"
It may seem hard to casually bring some of these up, but it IS possible! Or another option you could take is to interpret all of this as her liking you a lot, and you should go for it and try to make her fall in love with you more than this other guy. But that may not be practical...
She may be doing this because she really does like you and doesn't want to miss her chance with you! She maybe wants to end her relationship with this guy, but is a genuinely nice person and wants to do it in person instead of over Skype or Facebook chat. Like I said, if you try and find out more about him she may tell you everything you need to know! Maybe she will talk about how hard it is and that she wants to end it, or something else along those lines
Hope I helped!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Could just...........ask her.
Ask her if she wants to go on a date.

If she says no, no big deal.
Reply 4
Original post by jcholzz
well first you need to find out more, maybe casually ask her about her boyfriend? Like casually.
"Does your boyfriend really live America?!"
"Is it hard being in a long distance relationship?" (You could ask that one when she is talking to him on Facebook)
"Do you fly over to America a lot?"
"So where in America have you been?"
It may seem hard to casually bring some of these up, but it IS possible! Or another option you could take is to interpret all of this as her liking you a lot, and you should go for it and try to make her fall in love with you more than this other guy. But that may not be practical...
She may be doing this because she really does like you and doesn't want to miss her chance with you! She maybe wants to end her relationship with this guy, but is a genuinely nice person and wants to do it in person instead of over Skype or Facebook chat. Like I said, if you try and find out more about him she may tell you everything you need to know! Maybe she will talk about how hard it is and that she wants to end it, or something else along those lines
Hope I helped!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This seems like a pretty good idea, I'll see if I can learn a bit more before I do or try anything. Tt just seems bizarre really, knowing that I've tried with single people before and failed on several occasions, yet someone presently in a relationship might be a possibility.
Reply 5
Original post by AidanKD
Could just...........ask her.

I hate being that direct, it's cost me in the past.
Reply 6
Original post by IxI_Rhys_IxI
I hate being that direct, it's cost me in the past.

Well I guess if that's not option...then the other poster's ideas could work. But maybe something lighter...if you bring up about america then ofc facebook stalker is written all over (we all do it but the trick is to not show it).

Popular alternative option would be..."must be a lucky guy you're with!" or "I feel sorry for *your* boyfriend!" - if you're teasing her about something...then she could reply an appropriate hint.

Good luck either way but don't be too cryptic. Bluntless is over-rated nowadays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending