The Student Room Group

where do I stand?

Before my best friend went away he joked about us getting married and having kids, I went along with it and he said he would have to purse me first. We spoke everyday when he was away,we even made plans to meet up a couple days after he got back. I thought about the convo we had over and over,wondering how things would be when he got back. At the back of my head I knew it would be as if the convo never happened when I saw him.

His flight was delayed so we rescheduled. I was so exhausted after work on the day but I really wanted to see him. He came to pick me up,at first I struggled to give him eye contact which has never happened,this only lasted a few minutes though. we ate some food and watched a movie. During the movie I didn't feel too good,so I was very uncomfortable due to this.

Anyway he drove me home. We sat outside as we usually do. My head was somewhere else as I didn't feel good at all. So I cut it short, said goodbye and went inside. I wanted to bring up the conversation we had, I didn't know where to start.

We've pretty much been talking everyday about everything under the sun except the topic. I've already asked him to go out next week. I think this would be the perfect opportunity. So what do I say? I want to do it in a way that covers me if things don't go well
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by phunky_fresh
Before my best friend went away he joked about us getting married and having kids, I went along with it and he said he would have to purse me first. We spoke everyday when he was away,we even made plans to meet up a couple days after he got back. I thought about the convo we had over and over,wondering how things would be when he got back. At the back of my head I knew it would be as if the convo never happened when I saw him.

His flight was delayed so we rescheduled. I was so exhausted after work on the day but I really wanted to see him. He came to pick me up,at first I struggled to give him eye contact which has never happened,this only lasted a few minutes though. we ate some food and watched a movie. During the movie I didn't feel too good,so I was very uncomfortable due to this.

Anyway he drove me home. We sat outside as we usually do. My head was somewhere else as I didn't feel good at all. So I cut it short, said goodbye and went inside. I wanted to bring up the conversation we had, I didn't know where to start.

We've pretty much been talking everyday about everything under the sun except the topic. I've already asked him to go out next week. I think this would be the perfect opportunity. So what do I say? I want to do it in a way that covers me if things don't go well

If I was him I'd be thinking the same as you. Think about it from his point of view, he was probably loving it that you were agreeing and now you've not brought it up again so he isn't going to. The best way to find out is to just ask. Maybe say you really like them as a friend but you wouldnt mind more, but if he didnt want more that'd be okay too. What's the worst he can say? No, and then you're exactly where you are now.
Overthinking it. Just be natural and honest.
Reply 3
Original post by phunky_fresh

I don't really get it, maybe I am sleep deprived but as far as I can tell you two are not a couple as you refer to him as a best friend? So does it matter about a joke he made however long ago it was about getting married and kids? He might of really just been joking about it, and he might not even remember the conversation so?

As you refer to him as a best friend would you consider a more intimate relationship with him or is that a big no-no for you?

If I was you I would stop worrying about it and if it comes up it comes up. There is no point worrying about something that, to me at least, sounds like just a joke.
Reply 4
It's doubt that it's really something you need to worry about at the moment. If your not planning on getting married and having kids in the next couple of years, just forget about it. Especially if he's not even your boyfriend.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Just mention it in a jokey way and see how he reacts if he responds well,turn the topic serious,if otherwize accept he's just a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending