The Student Room Group

Could I apply to these universities?

ABBB at AS in Politics, E Lit, Hist and E Lang.

Predicted AAB

UCL - BA History with a Year Abroad - A*AA-AAA
Exeter - BA History with a Year Abroad - A*AA-AAB
Royal Holloway - BA History with a Year Abroad - AAB
UEA - BA History - AAB
University of Essex - BA History with a Year Abroad - ABB-BBB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
yeah, i mean as long as you work really hard to get those A*'s, my AS grades weren't as good as i was hoping (AABC) but i dropped the subject i got a C in and I'm resiting two modules this January so hopefully they'll be better and my predicted grades fit what the uni's ask for!
i would keep a back up uni with lower grades though! have you applied to these unis yet or are you still trying to decide?
Reply 3
Yes, that is a good range of entry requirements. You have a good chance at receiving offers. Obviously getting offers will be also dependent on other factors such as personal statement. UCL might be a bit tricky with your AS grades but still doable. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ella73
yeah, i mean as long as you work really hard to get those A*'s, my AS grades weren't as good as i was hoping (AABC) but i dropped the subject i got a C in and I'm resiting two modules this January so hopefully they'll be better and my predicted grades fit what the uni's ask for!
i would keep a back up uni with lower grades though! have you applied to these unis yet or are you still trying to decide?

Original post by twin
Yes, that is a good range of entry requirements. You have a good chance at receiving offers. Obviously getting offers will be also dependent on other factors such as personal statement. UCL might be a bit tricky with your AS grades but still doable. :smile:

Great! UCL is an outlandish choice, but I thought it's worth a try :smile: Do you think Exeter is possible (my dream university)?
Reply 5
Definitely possible, it's hard really to assess the strength of your application with out more information. But I would say you have just as must chance as many other applicants.
Reply 6
Original post by twin
Definitely possible, it's hard really to assess the strength of your application with out more information. But I would say you have just as must chance as many other applicants.

Great!

Any others' views?
Reply 7
You definitely can apply to all, however I think UCL and Exeter will be very difficult to get into. But with a good PS, good reference... good interview (if you have one, which subject is this for?) it may be possible :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Megzx13
You definitely can apply to all, however I think UCL and Exeter will be very difficult to get into. But with a good PS, good reference... good interview (if you have one, which subject is this for?) it may be possible :smile:

BA History with a Year Abroad :smile:
Reply 9
UCL would probably be a waste of a choice but you have 5 so it may be worth the risk

With Exeter ... how do they normally differentiate between offers ... what encourages them to give an AAB ... do you meet those criteria ... if not you may be risking 2 choices
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
UCL would probably be a waste of a choice but you have 5 so it may be worth the risk

With Exeter ... how do they normally differentiate between offers ... what encourages them to give an AAB ... do you meet those criteria ... if not you may be risking 2 choices

Huh? I don't know :tongue: I feel confident I can get AAA :smile:
Original post by Phil Dunphy
Huh? I don't know :tongue: I feel confident I can get AAA :smile:

Having looked on their website they clearly state that

"Offers will normally be made within the publicised grade range and for the most popular subjects we expect to make offers at the upper end of the range."

With 10 applicants for every place this may be a risk
Is the course at the Cornwall Campus very different ... they seem to have a lower offer
Reply 13
Having looked on their website they clearly state that

"Offers will normally be made within the publicised grade range and for the most popular subjects we expect to make offers at the upper end of the range."

With 10 applicants for every place this may be a risk

Humph!

Is the course at the Cornwall Campus very different ... they seem to have a lower offer

Yes, the campus is ****ty!
Reply 14
as you're predicted AAB I think UCL is a bit of a reach... maybe go for another AAB uni, like sussex. they also have brilliant study abroad opportunities.
Reply 15
Original post by Lumos
as you're predicted AAB I think UCL is a bit of a reach... maybe go for another AAB uni, like sussex. they also have brilliant study abroad opportunities.

Ah, thanks for the tip! I'd rather go somewhere not based in a big city tbh! Does the history course there involve a YEAR abroad not a SEMESTER?
I'd rather go somewhere not based in a big city tbh!

UCL is probably not a good choice then
Reply 17
ABBB at AS in Politics, E Lit, Hist and E Lang.

Predicted AAB

UCL - BA History with a Year Abroad - A*AA-AAA
Exeter - BA History with a Year Abroad - A*AA-AAB
Royal Holloway - BA History with a Year Abroad - AAB
UEA - BA History - AAB
University of Essex - BA History with a Year Abroad - ABB-BBB

Yes to all except for UCL. Normally I'd say just go for it and you never know. But the other day I recall seeing someone ask UCL if they would have a chance with AAA predictions when they needed A*AA or something and they replied basically saying sorry you don't meet what we want so wouldn't consider your application.

I can't remember what course it was or where I saw it, but I think it's worth e-mailing them to ask the same sort of thing and see if they say they'd discard your application or not. :smile: If they don't say that then by all means apply, you never know.
Reply 18
UCL is probably not a good choice then

Yes, I know. I just applied there for it's academic reputation :smile: I was told by my tutor, academics are more important than locale
Reply 19
Original post by lou_100
Yes to all except for UCL. Normally I'd say just go for it and you never know. But the other day I recall seeing someone ask UCL if they would have a chance with AAA predictions when they needed A*AA or something and they replied basically saying sorry you don't meet what we want so wouldn't consider your application.

I can't remember what course it was or where I saw it, but I think it's worth e-mailing them to ask the same sort of thing and see if they say they'd discard your application or not. :smile: If they don't say that then by all means apply, you never know.

Thanks, but I am going to change it for Sussex :smile:

BTW what uni is seen as better RHUL or Essex?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending