The Student Room Group

BA vs. BSc

Are they really perceived as equal types of a degree or is one better than the other?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
It depends, my opinion is that Bsc is more technical so therefore better. However some may disagree with me. An example such as Economics, a Bsc is a much better qualification.
Reply 2
Ok. In addition to that, what do you think matters more, the degree or the institution?

E.g: Student with an Economics BA from Warwick and one with an Economics BSc from Reading.

Would the BSc still be as appealing in this case?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I have no real experience but most probably the BA from Warwick
Reply 4
They are both first degrees and are therefore of equal value. Anyone who tells you anything else knows nothing of the academic world. They delineate more the focus of the subject matter covered on the course. What these people would make about first degrees that don't fit into the straight BA/BSc line up I shudder to think - in many subjects the first degree reflects the subject area, but they are all first degrees and therefore of equal value.
BSc (hons) vs. BA (baracus)

I know where my money's going.
I was having a chat with a friend today and he told me that he's applying to all BSc Psychology courses and not BA because he states that you cannot be a Psychologist with a BA degree as it is not scientific enough or accredited by the KPG or something.
It is geberally obvious that there are clear differences between a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science because the two involve different courses in different programs that lead to university degrees. The courses that make up the BA program deal with the liberal arts and the courses that make up the BSc program deal with the sciences and Math. Students generally choose which of these degree programs they will follow based on what their career goals are. Even if students are more oriented towards literature and the humanities and they need to take mainly Science courses, they can still take Arts courses as their electives and vice versa.

Just about every university offers the courses that lead to both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees. Because specific courses fall under one degree program or another, it is best for students to always consult the syllabi of the courses to make sure they take the proper courses. For example, History is a discipline that falls under the BA program so one
would assume that Geography would also be part of the same program.
However, Geography is a discipline that falls under the BSc program.

RThe Bachelor of Science is generally a major in one Science, such as
Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Biochemistry and so on.
These courses involve experimentation, theoretical study and the solution
of problems using mathematical equations. The courses involve a lot of
laboratory work and the use of computers and technology.

The courses that are part of the Bachelor of Arts program are designed to
encourage research and reading. There are no rigid boundaries regarding
the fields that are included in the wide range of disciplines that make up
the Arts and students are encouraged to take a wide variety of courses,
while choosing one discipline in which to major.

BA and BSc are undergraduate university degree programs and one is not
better than the other. Some do say that there are more employment
opportunities available with a BSc and that a BA is more of a general degree
that is a stepping stone to further education. Which program you
do decide to follow depends on your interest and career goals.

Therefore I can tell you that I personally feel that is not a big issue or difference in terms of quality, no matter the type of degree. They both have their advantages-A BA is better for those who want to work in humanities.
Whilst, a BSc is better for those who want to work in a science or
technology field. It also depends on the subject too!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Some professions demand that the content of the first degree a potential entrant has taken contains specific curricula components - they might be included in one university in a BA and in another university in a BSc degree. In the specific case of a degree being a gateway to professional training, the key thing is to check that the relevant degree programme meets the requirements of the professional training organisations - the designation of the degree as a BA or a BSc is totally irrelevant. For example I know several senior educational psychologists who have taken the BA route for their first degree - most people in this field will require further training and in many cases it is a postgraduate university degree - all that is needed to qualify for that degree is a Bachelor's degree of a high enough standard that has the relevant components - either subsumed under the BA or the BSc title. The title of the degree is irrelevant - they are both equal. If you need specific content then it's the curricula rather than the title that's important. Both BA/BSc are first degrees and of equal value.
Reply 9
Original post by Keynesian
It depends, my opinion is that Bsc is more technical so therefore better. However some may disagree with me. An example such as Economics, a Bsc is a much better qualification.

Yeah because a BA Physics degree from Oxford is so much worse than a Chemistry Bsc from London Met. The fact is, there is little difference, it's merely based upon the universities perception of an 'art' and a 'science', and even tradition. Oxford's degrees are almost entirely BA's, and there are no Bsc's, whereas LSE is traditionally known for Bsc's.
Sorry about the awful sentence structure on my previous post, horrible dodgy IPod :angry:

But I hope you understand my point!
Reply 11
Original post by zaliack
Yeah because a BA Physics degree from Oxford is so much worse than a Chemistry Bsc from London Met. The fact is, there is little difference, it's merely based upon the universities perception of an 'art' and a 'science', and even tradition. Oxford's degrees are almost entirely BA's, and there are no Bsc's, whereas LSE is traditionally known for Bsc's.

Well obviously you take into account the university, I addressed that in a later post. Yes Oxford's is a BA but the structure is very much that of a Bsc
And just what is the different structure between a BA and a BSc.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending