The Student Room Group

Guys - you should NEVER hit on girls you don't know on the street

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gavzzz

Surely if a man walked up to a woman and basically asked her if she was single and if she would be interested in going for a coffee sometime, is that so bad as long as he just takes the answer and leaves it at that? No wolf whistling, no pervy behaviour, etc.

Girls don't want to be stopped on the street to be asked if they're single just as much as most people on the street don't want to be approached by clipboard men mortgage companies asking if you've thought about taking a loan lately.
Original post by cyfer
The hell is wrong with you? Unless you go to college/school, meeting women on the street/in a bar will constitute 90%+ of new girls you meet.

On the street is not the same as in a bar

A bar is a social environment where people do expect to engage in social activities including chatting up

A street is not
Guy A

Spoiler

Guy B

Spoiler

Any one want to hazard a guess as to the difference in response to the same actions by parties A and B from girls on the street? :rolleyes:
Reply 43
Original post by Gavzzz
Thanks mate, I was starting to feel depressed for being a man.

No worries dude.

She's talking nonsense anyway. I've had 3 dates in the past month that have come from smiling at someone in the street (and getting a smile back) and then just saying hello. So clearly "NEVER" do it is *******s
Reply 44
Original post by Octohedral
Whilst it's never happened to me (very ugly), I think the OP is saying that it's not scumbag behaviour in principle (in fact, as you've pointed out, it's more honourable than getting them when they are drunk). HOWEVER;

1. A lot of decent boys don't have the confidence to approach women on the street, or have social barriers up, so the majority who do it are weirdos. Decent boys doing it are therefore an unwelcome addition to the pretty girl's day or harrassment.

2. Girls go to clubs expecting to be hit on. However, on the street they aren't asking for it to happen to them 24/7. They need some freedom from their hordes of admirers.

That's what I understand from what she says anyway. :redface:

I get what she's trying to say, but she makes it out like if a mildly attractive girl wants to walk down any street she'll get sexually harassed 100 times before she gets to the end of it. When at the end of the day being approached at random in the street is a relatively rare occurrence.
Reply 45
Original post by TenOfThem
On the street is not the same as in a bar

A bar is a social environment where people do expect to engage in social activities including chatting up

A street is not

I'm not saying it's the same environment. When I approach girls on the street, I take everything far more slowly, I am less flirtatious etc.

That doesn't make approaching girls on the street wrong in any way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cyfer
What you are saying is unacceptable, I agree. Just please stop generalising. There ARE guys out there that are nice guys and approach women on the street.

It's just that approaching girls on the street requires an incredible amount of balls, so mostly the guys that do it are arrogant pricks. That is why you see so few genuine people doing it (because they are not arrogant douches).

Just please don't discount everyone, because there are people such as myself, that have tried incredibly hard to gain that confidence and so can make approaching girls a fun experience for both people.

EDIT: Posting this thread on TSR is a very bad idea. The majority of TSR users are educated, they're not the kind of chavs that you are talking about. Hence by posting this thread, you are discouraging those educated and nice people from doing something, whilst the majority of those chavs will never even see this.

This is like advising your children that they should get into vans driven by strangers offering sweeties because they shouldnt generalise that such men are often pedos.

The fact that some guys who do this aren't horrible creepers does not make it ok. Its still frightening because you dont know whether they will get aggressive until it happens.
Reply 47
OP if you walked passed your dream man in the street would you rather he approached you or walked on by?
Original post by cyfer
When I approach girls on the street, I take everything far more slowly, I am less flirtatious etc.

And what the OP is pointing out is ... this is generally annoying

Most women, when going about their daily business, do not want to be approached by strangers who wish to chat them up
Reply 49
Relevant:

Most women, when going about their daily business, do not want to be approached by strangers who wish to chat them up

Original post by HistoryRepeating
This is like advising your children that they should get into vans driven by strangers offering sweeties because they shouldnt generalise that such men are often pedos.

The fact that some guys who do this aren't horrible creepers does not make it ok. Its still frightening because you dont know whether they will get aggressive until it happens.

No it is not. I'm saying children should not live in morbid fear of vans for the rest of their lives because of one or two incidents.

What it is LIKE, is me having broken my arm in two places whilst snowboarding two years ago, then going back out snowboarding last year, because I know that breaking my arm was an unlucky and unfortunate event.

Tbh, I don't care if girls find it creepy. What I see is an opportunity. That beautiful girl on the street may just turn out to be my future girlfriend, wife or simply a friend. Sure there's an incredibly small chance of us turning out to be great for each other, but I'll never find out unless I actually talk to her will I?

Talking to a girl on the street takes 5 minutes out of my day. Losing out on an opportunity is something I will regret for the rest of my life.

I've had girls just say 'sorry I'm busy' and walk on, I'm completely fine with that. If you find it annoying just say something polite and continue on your day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50

Where are you getting "most" from. I asked the three girls i sit next to at work and they said if it isn't overly creepy or leery and the guy is polite then it's flattering.

So for me, ALL of the girls I work with want to be approached in the right manner.

And, I got a date on the tube two days ago after a girl smiled at me and I smiled back, so took that as it being ok to say hello and start up a conversation
Original post by HistoryRepeating

Hint: Actually attractive, pleasant, desirable men DONT NEED TO HIT ON RANDOMS on the street. Its something only unpleasant creepers feel the need to do. Decent guys wouldnt have to fall back to what is essentially scumbag behaviour.

HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS??? You do realise that it's one of the only ways to meet new women (especially if you go to an all-boys school) outside of hitting on women in bars/clubs which is arguably more scummy (trying to take advantage of a girl being drunk to hit on her!)

How do 'attractive, pleasant, desirable men' meet new girls then? Do women simply fall at these mens feet? NO. They talk to 'random' women who then become their friends and are no longer random! While it is unacceptable to hound a woman you meet on the street who clearly has no interest in you, it's only a tiny proportion of men who do this, and certainly not ones on tsr

You are clearly an ignorant, bitter, spiteful b!tch who can't handle that no-one is attracted to her and so goes on forums to b!tch and moan about how men are so evil and pathetic

GET A LIFE
Original post by cyfer

Talking to a girl on the street takes 5 minutes out of my day. Losing out on an opportunity is something I will regret for the rest of my life.

I've had girls just say 'sorry I'm busy' and walk on, I'm completely fine with that. If you find it annoying just say something polite and continue on your day.

The OP has probably had experiences where she has been polite but the boys in question have considered that a challenge
Original post by NW86

And, I got a date on the tube two days ago after a girl smiled at me and I smiled back, so took that as it being ok to say hello and start up a conversation

then she approached you
Reply 54
then she approached you

No she didn't?

A smile is nothing. I've seen girls smile at my friends and they smile back, but do nothing because they don't have the confidence to go and talk to her.

Good on you tube guy!
Reply 55
then she approached you

Getting smiled at is hardly an approach now is it.
Original post by NW86
Where are you getting "most" from. I asked the three girls i sit next to at work and they said if it isn't overly creepy or leery and the guy is polite then it's flattering.

So for me, ALL of the girls I work with want to be approached in the right manner.

Quick question - how many overly leery or creepy guys do you think KNOW that they are overly leery or creepy?

What you are describing on the tube is ok. That is not what this is about. This is about completely unsolicited attempts to stop a girl as she walks past in order to make a crude pass at her.
Original post by NW86

Perhaps you are a pleasant, polite, young man :smile:

Many aren't :frown:
Original post by cyfer

Tbh, I don't care if girls find it creepy. What I see is an opportunity.

You sounds like a rapist in waiting.
Reply 59
then she approached you

Thank you for ignoring the other part of my post that was relevant and went against what you were saying :smile:

Well in that case, there have been two other dates in the past month were I smiled first and got a smile back.

Shock horror, not every female thinks the same as you, so move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending