The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dyljuan
hey, is anyone insured with Bell from admiral insurance and had a little black box fitted to their car? I've had a really cheap quuote from them compared to other companies (saves me about £300) but not sure about having this box thingy in the car measuring how i drive? i called them and they said they dont have any restrictions except can't go over 100 miles an hr !??

My boyfriend was insured with a company called iKube and he had a box fitted too. It was much cheaper for him but he couldn't drive after 11pm.

There are quite a few different ones; some judge your driving style and either charge you more if they class you as dangerous or less if they think you're a safe driver, some have mileage limits and some have curfews. As long as you're ok with the terms they give you it's definitely worth it :smile:
Reply 2
I've been looking at this too as I've got a quote for £1900 with the box and £2700 without..

Problem is I work until 11 on Thursdays.. Idk what to do?
Reply 3
Original post by AndyJay123
I've been looking at this too as I've got a quote for £1900 with the box and £2700 without..

Problem is I work until 11 on Thursdays.. Idk what to do?

Huh? I rang them up to try and get my policy changed to another car, couldn't get through so rang up as a new customer, and he told me they weren't doing box-less insurance for new customers any more.
Reply 4
Hmm you need to really be sure, I don't know what the rules are if you speed etc. Also, if you're in an accident, the police may be able to look at the box and see you may have been speeding, which may get you in trouble and insurance may refuse to pay.
Original post by andrew.b
Also, if you're in an accident, the police may be able to look at the box and see you may have been speeding

If you were speeding then you should get whats coming to you.
Reply 6
Why not go with co op, they do box insurance and are cheaper. My quote was £2200 with bell and its £1000 with co op, same car, same details.
Reply 7
Original post by Pony Jack
Huh? I rang them up to try and get my policy changed to another car, couldn't get through so rang up as a new customer, and he told me they weren't doing box-less insurance for new customers any more.

The quote without wasn't with them.

& I'll check the co-op :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by RetroSpectacles
My boyfriend was insured with a company called iKube and he had a box fitted too. It was much cheaper for him but he couldn't drive after 11pm.

There are quite a few different ones; some judge your driving style and either charge you more if they class you as dangerous or less if they think you're a safe driver, some have mileage limits and some have curfews. As long as you're ok with the terms they give you it's definitely worth it :smile:

Thanks, i've had a look around and there are loads of companies doing boxes in cars and they all have different criteria! Bell is one of the less restrictive ones except for the 100mph limit and theres no curfew and my car doesnt go over 80 without starting to break-up anyway :redface:
Original post by dyljuan
Thanks, i've had a look around and there are loads of companies doing boxes in cars and they all have different criteria! Bell is one of the less restrictive ones except for the 100mph limit and theres no curfew and my car doesnt go over 80 without starting to break-up anyway :redface:

LOL :biggrin: Yep, I know exactly what you mean! I often cross my fingers when going over 70!

Sounds like Bell's the one to go for then! :smile:
Reply 10
Ive got a LittleBox with Admiral, It may not list restrictions but if you go over the limit or brake hard, anything like that, its puts your driving down for that day as poor (Or anything on a 1-5 graph) which affects how much your next quote with them will be. You end up driving down the road staring at your speedo making sure you dont speed. Often get the message (Don't leave enough room for braking) which left me puzzled, turned out I was
Yeah I've got it, Jan 2013 when I first got it, started off at about £1300, right now I've just had it reduced to £650 per year so I definitely think it's worth it.

AFAIK it measures braking and acceleration, and amount of miles driven, and every six months your quote gets adjusted accordingly.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't know whether to try one of these or not.

The problem I have is that I work in a pub and I'm often driving home at 1am, if not later. I understand that some have different restrictions but it does bother me. It's meant to be more dangerous at that time of night apparently, I don't understand why because the roads are empty! I'm lucky to come across a car on the road on my way home.

My car just got written off in an accident that has been decided that I was at fault for. I argued it because the other woman was definitely not paying attention or speeding but I can't prove it so I'm at fault. It's horrible. If I knew it was my fault, I would just put my hands up and accept it (which I've eventually had to do but very very reluctantly). I'm convinced it was planned, she acted VERY strangely after it happened, drove away from the accident (on a main road so we had to but she didn't follow me, she drove off in the other direction) and didn't appear for ages. Claimed she had no idea on the damage to her car (er..? ) and didn't even stay with me despite my car being written off. And apparently the woman who drove in to the back of me, who admitted full responsibility for the accident etc, well her accident is also going to affect my insurance. How is that fair?

I've been driving 11 months and I've had two accidents that are going to sky rocket my insurance. I don't want a black box but part of me thinks it'll make me focus a lot more on my driving. Everyone who has been in a car with me says they feel perfectly safe, so I don't think I'm a bad driver, I've just been unlucky I guess, but I'm certainly inexperienced.

I'd be interested to know just how worthwhile they are and how nit picky they are. Does one hit on the brakes make them suddenly think you're a bad driver? Even if it was because a child stepped out in front of you? It all seems a bit weird but the reduced price does make me consider it.

Also, do you pay say £1000 as the initial quote, and then if it goes down in 6 months, you get money back? Or does it not work like that?
Reply 13
Original post by stardustjunkie
I don't know whether to try one of these or not.

The problem I have is that I work in a pub and I'm often driving home at 1am, if not later. I understand that some have different restrictions but it does bother me. It's meant to be more dangerous at that time of night apparently, I don't understand why because the roads are empty! I'm lucky to come across a car on the road on my way home.

My car just got written off in an accident that has been decided that I was at fault for. I argued it because the other woman was definitely not paying attention or speeding but I can't prove it so I'm at fault. It's horrible. If I knew it was my fault, I would just put my hands up and accept it (which I've eventually had to do but very very reluctantly). I'm convinced it was planned, she acted VERY strangely after it happened, drove away from the accident (on a main road so we had to but she didn't follow me, she drove off in the other direction) and didn't appear for ages. Claimed she had no idea on the damage to her car (er..? ) and didn't even stay with me despite my car being written off. And apparently the woman who drove in to the back of me, who admitted full responsibility for the accident etc, well her accident is also going to affect my insurance. How is that fair?

I've been driving 11 months and I've had two accidents that are going to sky rocket my insurance. I don't want a black box but part of me thinks it'll make me focus a lot more on my driving. Everyone who has been in a car with me says they feel perfectly safe, so I don't think I'm a bad driver, I've just been unlucky I guess, but I'm certainly inexperienced.

I'd be interested to know just how worthwhile they are and how nit picky they are. Does one hit on the brakes make them suddenly think you're a bad driver? Even if it was because a child stepped out in front of you? It all seems a bit weird but the reduced price does make me consider it.

Also, do you pay say £1000 as the initial quote, and then if it goes down in 6 months, you get money back? Or does it not work like that?

She may have admítted líabílíty at the tíme, but íts quíte clear she dídn't to her ínsurer and made them go through a process to fínd whose at fault. And I don't thínk ít was ríght for you to agree íts your fault, ínsurance claíms can be very long and you gave ín far too quíckly and allowed yourself to give in.

Well Bell ís ok wíth night tíme drívíng though they advíse agaínst ít as Í díd for a month duríng Ramadan and got decent markíngs at Good(there are 5, good beíng the 2nd híghest).

Íf you brake harshly is the íssue, too much ít can be bad and dríving far too fast too often. Though Í'm used to ít now, Í just do thíngs a lot more gently.Also gentle acceleration, so nothíng too fast.

You don't get your money back or anythíng wíth Bell, also check whích plan you get as there 2, 9 month and a 12 month.
I think I need to call around and see what is available. Coop give money back by the looks of it.

Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by stardustjunkie
I think I need to call around and see what is available. Coop give money back by the looks of it.

Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Í know some do but then íf you dríve bad you lose that money.
I am with insurethebox and it only limits you by miles (after you drive more than X,XXX miles then you have to pay for additional miles). I did it ok last year but this year I fudged it so will probably end up having to pay for more miles >.<
Reply 17
Should check out Tesco as well their black box rates tend to be cheaper than coop.
Im currently insured with bell, the black box I've got just plugs into the fag lighter and I only need it in for 3 month. It only penalizes for excessive speeding, I've had to brake hard a few times due to idiots and I've also done a few swift maneuvers from the traffic lights, and every week I get an email saying my driving is gold standard, so they are aren't as bad as I expected. When getting the insurance the woman on the phone tried her hardest to get the quote as low as possible, 21 years old, £475 for a 240hp Volvo!! At the moment I would highly recommend them.
Reply 19
I have the black box in my car with admiral, all it does is measure your speed and the speed limit on the road, if you're going like 50 in a 20mph zone you'll be pulled up for it. thats all it's there for.

Latest

Trending

Trending