The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Is the University of Westminster any good?

Looking to study Property Planning and development, it's accredited by the RIC. Just want to know about be Uni..
Decent uni?
Teaching?
Accommodation?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Not the best, not the worst.

I heard a couple years ago that the teaching was quite bad. It might have improved since then...
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
"Not the best, not the worst." That may be the best description of Westminster.
Reply 3
Don't expect an honest answer on here, all the UCL and other top London university applicants just slag it off on here.

I've applied for Westminster. I have an unconditional offer. I think it is in a great location and the entry requirements for my subject are basically just a single grade below Russell Group universities so it cant be that bad.

Check unistats. http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

First year undergraduate accommodation. http://www.aptstudents.com/accommodation/student-quarter-wembley
Reply 4
I had a bad experience there. I am an international student and I decided to study a Pre-Sessional course at Westminster University to improve my English first, but I'm totally disappointed! We have three teachers and they teach us the same subject in different ways. For example, we have a presentation next week and each teacher says that we have to follow completely different premises and we don't know who we should follow. They disagree all the time and we are completely lost. The same happened with our essay and we don't know who is correct or if any of them is correct, because we can't trust. They do not have a single plan to this course. I don't know what that coordinator does, because the course doesn't have a structure and the teachers don't speak the same language! I don't know if the master course is like this, but I am trying to apply to other University, because I can't trust in them anymore.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Tired
I had a bad experience there. I am an international student and I decided to study a Pre-Sessional course at Westminster University to improve my English first, but I'm totally disappointed! We have three teachers and they teach us the same subject in different ways. For example, we have a presentation next week and each teacher says that we have to follow completely different premises and we don't know who we should follow. They disagree all the time and we are completely lost. The same happened with our essay and we don't know who is correct or if any of them is correct, because we can't trust. They do not have a single plan to this course. I don't know what that coordinator does, because the course doesn't have a structure and the teachers don't speak the same language! I don't know if the master course is like this, but I am trying to apply to other University, because I can't trust in them anymore.

Note how this is a new user with 1 post saying negative things about Westminster? People from the top London universities have a habit of creating accounts just to denounce Westminster. Ignore them!
Reply 6
Original post by JA1994
Note how this is a new user with 1 post saying negative things about Westminster? People from the top London universities have a habit of creating accounts just to denounce Westminster. Ignore them!

Sorry, but I have this new account because I am an international student and I have been in London for just 4 months.
More then you, I would like to be glad and proud, saying just good things about where I am studying, but my role is to share my experience describing what is actually happening. I hope to change my opinion next year in my master course, but the pre-sessional course surprised me negatively.
The figure on this university drop out rate speaks for itself. I suggest anyone wanting to study at Westminster look at it and its student union.

Here is some thing to consider when you are applying to this University.
- The Library doesn't have enough computers and books.
- Some modules are very similar (They teach repeated topics)
- They have some useless modules that has nothing to do with the degree. (For example, they teach Maths in IT subject.)
- Noisy Lecture hall (Students at this Uni are not great! They just want to get pass and its really easy to get it as well.)
- The markings are not consistent. (In group, when one person hardly does any work can get better grades than you.)
Reply 8
It doesnt have a good reputation in terms of 'academic value'.

If you can, go somewhere else.
I'm in my second year at Westminster, and I'm very happy with the standard of teaching, the course content, and how we are assessed.
It may not have that good a reputation, but it generally scores pretty well on the student satisfaction survey.
Original post by Atlantic Storm
The figure on this university drop out rate speaks for itself. I suggest anyone wanting to study at Westminster look at it and its student union.

Here is some thing to consider when you are applying to this University.
- The Library doesn't have enough computers and books.
- Some modules are very similar (They teach repeated topics)
- They have some useless modules that has nothing to do with the degree. (For example, they teach Maths in IT subject.)
- Noisy Lecture hall (Students at this Uni are not great! They just want to get pass and its really easy to get it as well.)
- The markings are not consistent. (In group, when one person hardly does any work can get better grades than you.)

I'm sorry, but what planet do you live on where maths isn't part of IT?
Do you seriously expect to be a good IT professional with no advanced maths knowledge? Sure you don't need to know maths to write a "hello world" code, but even the most basic stuff like a tic-tac-toe game requires a lot of mathematics.
If you are an IT professional who doesn't know at least basic calculus and algebra, the applications you develop are mediocre and worthless in the market.
Reply 11
I love it here,
I'm a pretty decent student (All A*'s/A's at GCSE and good A-levels) and I do biochemistry here. It's harder than I thought it'd be, some of the lecturers aren't so interesting (but I'm sure it's like that everywhere) but some of them are amazing, and they really care about what they do. If you really care about your subject they will help and support you :smile:
Also, the locations are amazing, can go shopping on oxford street on your breaks. and the first year student halls are brand new
Reply 12
Original post by Fairy Hedgehog
I'm in my second year at Westminster, and I'm very happy with the standard of teaching, the course content, and how we are assessed.
It may not have that good a reputation, but it generally scores pretty well on the student satisfaction survey.

Wow! I don't know what you study there, and which campus you're in, but based on my 3 years of studying in the Cavendish campus, I can only say the exact opposite of what you've written.
Reply 13
Original post by rezachka
Wow! I don't know what you study there, and which campus you're in, but based on my 3 years of studying in the Cavendish campus, I can only say the exact opposite of what you've written.

Talking **** about you're current uni isn't going to make it great either. Lecturers can be **** at any top uni too but we are buying a brand. What make the difference are the students that ask for more and more from them! Plus remember that you have invested some money there and you are going to get a degree issued under them. You better work to make it look good.

Best.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
It's not that bad. I know a guy who went there and he is now in his chosen career of youth work and loving it. He did say that the social life sucked but he seemed to have no qualms with the academics. I knew another girl who went there who didn't like it but then again I think she more didn't like her course (sociology).
Reply 15
Original post by Rouf
Looking to study Property Planning and development, it's accredited by the RIC. Just want to know about be Uni..
Decent uni?
Teaching?
Accommodation?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Westminster is not what I consider a good University, its a joke. Most of the lecturers arn't properly qualified and they treat you like cattle. They don't care and the student union is a complete waste of time.
Hello, I got an offer from Westminster university, but not sure if I should choose this one...
University Of Westminster is a good school. You are lucky You received an offer from them.
What are your other options? Overall, it's not exactly seen as a good university.
Westminster School, on the other hand...
Reply 19
Original post by yl95
What are your other options? Overall, it's not exactly seen as a good university.
Westminster School, on the other hand...

Isn't it? I've received offers from Westminster, Essex, and Portsmouth (International Relations & Modern Languages) and I was planning to choose Westminster. Is it a good idea? (i'm from spain and i don't know much about uk universities either)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending