The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
usually a pass is enough, just you need to do an extra german exam to prove that you speak anough german. the level of the exam hast to be "C1 - effectiveness" or so, i also had to do it.... if german is your mother tongue it will be very very easy for you
Reply 2
usually a pass is enough, just you need to do an extra german exam to prove that you speak anough german. the level of the exam hast to be "C1 - effectiveness" or so, i also had to do it.... if german is your mother tongue it will be very very easy for you
Reply 3
do you not have to get your ib approved by the akademisches auslandsamt or sth. like that? and they will give you german marks for that and you have to apply to uni with that?
Reply 4
It`s not my mother tongue. If it was I wouldn`t have to pass any exam. Native speakers don`t pass any liguistics exams. It`s senseless. I know that I will have to pass and I am scared about it, cause I don`t speak perfectly. I am having some summer courses, though. I was just wondering how many points in IB you have to get to be admitted aside from passing a liguistic exam. And no, you don`t have to transalet IB notes, cause they are in English.
Reply 5
I am pretty sure you have to get the IB translated, they won't admit you just because your notes are in english.
[Voraussetzung zur Aufnahme des Studiums
Für ein Studium an der Universität Mannheim ist der Nachweis der allgemeinen bzw. fachgebundenen Hochschulreife (Abitur) erforderlich.
Bei der fachgebundenen Hochschulreife ergeben sich die Einschränkungen hinsichtlich des Studiengangs im Heimatland bzw. der Fächerwahl aus dem Zeugnis./QUOTE]
in the case you didn't understand it,it basically says you have to proof that you did sth like the german abitur.
sure they will have to accept the ib but they want to do some more paperwork and tell you they need check everything.
Reply 6
It's quite complicated with the German Unis. I'm still trying to figure out how it REALLY works but I have a general idea and so it goes:
All subjects WITHOUT Zulassungsbeschraenkung are free, which baisically means that once you've passed your exam you are in :biggrin:
BUT!!! Germany is the only country that does not accept all subject combinations!!! Here you can read more, about whether the subject combination you've chosen is accepted: http://www.kmk.org/doc/beschl/D16.pdf
I've a problem, coz I've philosophy instead of geography or history or economics, and the requirement is to have onne of those subjects (there are more requirements, but you'll find everything in this document)
SO... now if I want to go to Germany I've to pass two exams:
- one in history (which is just SO STUPID! and it'll be most probably the reason why I'll go to UK)
- one in German.
Usually non-German student, who does not fulfill the subject requirements is supposed to take part in a foundation year (in the Studienkolleg) but sometimes exceptions are made...

ok, I think that's all :biggrin:
can you get in with A levels?
Reply 8
Yes you can... But I don't know anything about the requirements. You'll find everything on the DAAD web page.
Reply 9
It is indeed a bit complex, the requirements depend on the course you want to study at and the uni. Offers for very popular courses have been given out by a central organization for a long time. Now the unis get more independent - they have their own admissions proceedure with interviews and exams. On the one hand its an advantage because you have a better chance of standing out from the others rather than through your grades only - but on the other hand, every uni having its own test means lots of travelling
Reply 10
http://www.ibo.org/country/universities_rec.cfm?country_code=Germany
Check this out tequilasunrise, it will give you the requirements for IB students studying in Germany! Good luck :smile:
Yes, yes I know these requirements, but they were invented long time ago when only 2 unis where accepting IB both being technical. That`s why I think that if I chose humanities I will not have to have bio or sth at hl, cuz I don`t. I have geography hl and math studies, which seems to be not good enough. What do you think?
Reply 12
tequilasunrise
Yes, yes I know these requirements, but they were invented long time ago when only 2 unis where accepting IB both being technical. That`s why I think that if I chose humanities I will not have to have bio or sth at hl, cuz I don`t. I have geography hl and math studies, which seems to be not good enough. What do you think?

When I started with IB two years ago I also tried to choose my subjects according to German requirements, because my IB coordinator said they were still valid (how do you know they were made a long time ago, by two unis? Just curious:smile:). Since they want either a science (bio, chem, physics) or math at higher level, I was stuck with math HL (no HL sciences at our school...). So, if they are still valid, as I've heard, then your choice of subjects is probably not meeting German requirements :frown: However, there might be the possibility that they will make exceptions, especially since Germany is now (so my IBC told me) re-considering the status IB should take in the country. Hope it works out for you!! (If it does, lucky you - I certainly would have preferred math studies to math HL...:biggrin:)
Reply 13
They are still valid - I got an information leaflet from Heidelberg... And I guess they won't make any exceptions, from my experience in Germany when sth is on paper there is no way to get round it... (which has its advantages and disadvantages)! But if you get any inf about how to get roung it could you please PM me? :biggrin:
sereture
When I started with IB two years ago I also tried to choose my subjects according to German requirements, because my IB coordinator said they were still valid (how do you know they were made a long time ago, by two unis? Just curious:smile:). Since they want either a science (bio, chem, physics) or math at higher level, I was stuck with math HL (no HL sciences at our school...). So, if they are still valid, as I've heard, then your choice of subjects is probably not meeting German requirements :frown: However, there might be the possibility that they will make exceptions, especially since Germany is now (so my IBC told me) re-considering the status IB should take in the country. Hope it works out for you!! (If it does, lucky you - I certainly would have preferred math studies to math HL...:biggrin:)

Hey, so you don`t have a natural subject- according to German standards you must have either bio, phy or chem. You are also stucked I guess. Why would I need bio or other natural subject at hl if I am going to study Anglistic? That would be crazy? How can they demand more from us doing the IB than from people doing normal Abi- they just do subjects they want. My cousin chose German and English on Polish finals and still she was admitted. I don`t understand then why they wouldn`t admit me? I will fight for my rights. I`ve also heards that these requirements depends on different unis. Some just don`t care.
Reply 15
tequilasunrise are you from Poland?
Reply 16
tequilasunrise
Hey, so you don`t have a natural subject- according to German standards you must have either bio, phy or chem. You are also stucked I guess. Why would I need bio or other natural subject at hl if I am going to study Anglistic? That would be crazy? How can they demand more from us doing the IB than from people doing normal Abi- they just do subjects they want. My cousin chose German and English on Polish finals and still she was admitted. I don`t understand then why they wouldn`t admit me? I will fight for my rights. I`ve also heards that these requirements depends on different unis. Some just don`t care.

I do have a natural science subject - chemistry - just not at HL. And yes, I agree with you, I'm going to study English and German Lit and it seems pointless for me to take Math HL when I hate it. But...that's Germany for you :biggrin: They probably demand more because (1) they dont know much about the IB, and/or (2) they don't want to admit that the German education system is crap by favouring an international diploma. :rolleyes:
Well, I hope for you that you'll get in!! Keep me updated!
sereture
I do have a natural science subject - chemistry - just not at HL. And yes, I agree with you, I'm going to study English and German Lit and it seems pointless for me to take Math HL when I hate it. But...that's Germany for you :biggrin: They probably demand more because (1) they dont know much about the IB, and/or (2) they don't want to admit that the German education system is crap by favouring an international diploma. :rolleyes:
Well, I hope for you that you'll get in!! Keep me updated!

yes, but at my uni they don`t know anything about IB! I asked them several times and they didn`t answer that I have to have certain subjects! They can`t then demand bio HL suddenly. I think that I will manage somehow. My cousine has a boyfriend there who always manages to help others in such situations. I hope he`ll manage to go around it. I wanted to study Anglistik and Medienwissenschaft. I will tell next week what they said...
Reply 18
tequilasunrise
How can they demand more from us doing the IB than from people doing normal Abi- they just do subjects they want.

People who take the Abi- like me- have to take Maths and at least one Science subject in year 12 and 13. Further core subjects are: German, a language, History, Politics, Religious Studies or Philosophy, Music or Fine Arts and Physical Education.
Out of these you choose examination subjects which are sometimes taught at diffenrent levels (GK and LK), depending on in which Bundesland you live. Plus, you've to choose some other courses (languages or Sciences) since the core courses won't fill your timetable.
Thus I reckon that the requirements for the IB were just adopted to the German standard. It's arguable if it is necessary to do Maths if you want to study English, but on the other hand you can study every course with the Abitur as it is the Allgemeine Hochschulreife, hence you need a background in every subject.

My advice is to contact the unis in question directly and to explain your situation. Don't expect them to know much about the IB- normally they don't. Sad but true. However, well-known unis, such as Heidelberg, will have more international applicants, i.e. will be more familiar with international qualifiactions.
However, I won't set much hope in it. If something is on paper here, it's very unlikely to be changed as someone else pointed out. Good luck with it though.
Reply 19
don't you have to do a matura equivalency(sp?) test, if you want to (with the ib) study anywhere in germany, austria or switzerland?...cos' thats what i did!

Latest

Trending

Trending