The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Well, I'd only heard about the reps, who are second- or third-year students and I thought this was similar, that's why I decided to ask here first. Anyway, I get myself involved in such type of school stuff while at secondary school, so to do this at uni as well sounds pretty amusing. Anyway, I guess I'd e-mail them when I make my firm choice.
And, of course, thanks for the info. :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
Original post by Sannn
What're your prospects like for music? 'cause I'm a drummer and a guitarist, it'd be great if Bristol had music rooms with the instruments in it for regular play :3

Original post by SpringNicht
There's a LOT of bands you'll be able to join, but I don't think there's practice rooms. I know the ones in the victoria rooms are limited to music students only.

Can't really tell you too much on that as I don't play, but I know for guitar your flatmates probably won't mind you practising in the day.

If you really want to practice, you can hire rooms privately (I know Colston Hall has this available)

Please don't give advice that isn't true.

There are around 8 practice rooms in the Victoria Rooms and 4 in the Union, as well as a 'band room'. The Vic Rooms ones are supposedly just for music students but I've never been asked to leave in 3 years of being here.

All of the Vic Rooms practice rooms have pianos and most if not all of the Union ones do, but they're terrible quality. The band room has a drum kit too.

I'm not sure what the provisions are for music students that are also drummers. There may be other practice rooms that I don't know about.

As the quoted poster mentioned, you can also hire rooms privately, such as Colston Hall (didn't actually know they offered this!) and there's also a Bristol City Music Society with practice rooms near the union, but I'm not quite sure where and you also have to pay for membership.

A number of the halls also have areas where you can practise. Depending on the instrument, you can also practise in your room, although it may annoy some people.
Reply 22
Original post by SpringNicht
...I'm going to estimate 10% :wink: You'll encounter more or less depending on which halls you're in, it's a far higher percentage in Wills (and Richmond this year it seems?) and lower in halls like UH and the city centre halls.

I've heard no big complaints other than apparently the programming is fairly basic for the first few weeks if you've done anything like it before (I don't know the specifics myself since I don't do it personally, this is from various conversations with a friend who does).

Whilst it's a massive stereotype, Wills people aren't genuine rahs, they're more just people that are trying to live up to the stereotype. The genuine rahs can be found in Churchill and Badock, the latter being the ones that like drugs. You find less rahs in UH, HB, and the city centre halls.
hi, so i just got an offer from the university of bristol, i also hold an offer from surrey and sussex..waiting for lse and warwick to reply. Can anyone tell me how Bristol is for law and the about the city itself. Moreover out of the three Ive got into which would be better for law :faculty, graduate prospects (jobs available), student life, accomadation.
Reply 24
What is Mathematics like at Bristol?
Original post by `Jts
What is Mathematics like at Bristol?

Very strong indeed, take a look at the research it does, the Heilbronn Institute etc.
Okay I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this too soon as I'm in year 12 but oh well, better early than late. I'm sure I want to go to Bristol next year and always have been. There's just a few things I want to clear up! Hope someone can help :smile:
1. When I'm at uni, I'll be living there as I live in Cardiff at the moment. I'm pretty sure I want to stay at UNITE student accommodation, it seems to be in the best location for me. I was wondering do you have to apply through UNITE? Or can you apply through the university its self? I can't seem to find a decent accom page on the website, which is annoying.
2. I'm always wary of asking questions like this... I love Bristol as a city and know the nightlife and general place is amazing, but what are the people (generally of course) like at University Of Bristol? I love clubbing, going out, etc. and my cousin commented that I'd be more suited to UWE (lol). I hope no one takes offence to this I just want to know that I'm going somewhere where I can meet like minded people who like having a good time.
3. I've done a bit of research around this, but do you have any general comments on the English department?
Thank youuuu! :smile::smile:
1. I wouldn't recommend unite, but if you really want it, then yes you apply through the uni. Accom applications open July and offers are made in September I think. Go to Bristol.ac.uk/accommodation for the information you need. It's not laid out in an especially user-friendly way, but it's there.

2. Like basically everywhere, the people at Bristol will have different personalities... There will be some who are suited to you, and some who aren't... So this is a bit of a weird question as there is no one 'type' of person that goes to Bristol.

3. From what I've heard, the English course seems to be good and people are really enjoying it.
Reply 28
What is the Aerospace Engineering like at Bristol? I have an offer from them and I don't know whether to firm Bristol or Sheffield. I am not from the UK.
Reply 29
Any current Bristol student studying Drama? I know this is a long shot as there are only thirty per year. However if so I was wondering when you were invited to the interview and assessment day and when your offer arrived?

:smile:
1. Unite is okay from my experience living in Unite House, although it's kind of expensive for what it is. The atmosphere of it depends on who's there that year though I suppose. Apply through the university.

2. There's a LOT of posh people. That stereotype is true. It can get a bit grating really, but I haven't really found anyone who's been nasty.

3. I can't say anything personally, but I've heard good things :smile:
Reply 31
I graduated in July does that count?

1. Don't live in UNITE!!! why would you do that?! It is rubbish especially in terms of social life.
If you want to live around their apply to either Colston Hill or Winkworth, they are in almost identical locations but much more social.

2. If you are 'more suited to UWE' then it can be a bit weird at first, I was shocked by the number of public schoolers, but you quickly get over any social stereotypes you have. There are many many private schooled pupils but I don't think it is a bad thing, I had a great time there and they are just the same (mostly!) as everyone else. Also there is PLENTY of clubbing and going out, whatever halls you are in :smile:

3. No idea about English sorry! The one girl I knew who did it got pregnant in first year. Awk. Not sure that is a reflection on the department though somehow!!!
Reply 32
Hi I currently think that Bristol is where I would like to go most so what are your opinions about the university? And anyone who studies Physics what is that like at Bristol? Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't go to Bristol but from what I've heard, it's a really good university with a great reputation. I have friends who go to Bristol and really love it there. Not sure what the Physics department is like, but my guess is that it's probably very good.
Reply 34
I've got an offer for French and Italian and I was just wondering what the international scene is like? are there a lot of europeans from latin language based countries i.e france, spain, italy etc?..and are there any spanish bars etc?
Original post by ollyfriend
I've got an offer for French and Italian and I was just wondering what the international scene is like? are there a lot of europeans from latin language based countries i.e france, spain, italy etc?..and are there any spanish bars etc?

I know of a few people from those countries, yeah. In general the international student to domestic student ratio isn't very high compared to other high-ranking unis, but there are definitely some around. I'm not sure if there are any spanish bars around, sorry.
Reply 36
Anybody here studying neuroscience at Bristol? What is it like? :smile:

I also wonder how Richmond Terrace is. It looks like the place which would suit me best style-wise. Do all of the rooms have white walls and light colored furniture as those in the pictures on Bristol Uni's website? How is the social environment there?

Another question; are there any Scandinavians around? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Neuronica
Anybody here studying neuroscience at Bristol? What is it like? :smile:

I also wonder how Richmond Terrace is. It looks like the place which would suit me best style-wise. Do all of the rooms have white walls and light colored furniture as those in the pictures on Bristol Uni's website? How is the social environment there?

Another question; are there any Scandinavians around? :smile:

I'm not sure about most of your questions, but I know a couple people at Richmond Terrace and they seem to enjoy it. There are definitely Scandinavians around in Bristol!
Reply 38
Can you offer any information as to the average weekly workload of a biochemistry student? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by redferry
I graduated in July does that count?

1. Don't live in UNITE!!! why would you do that?! It is rubbish especially in terms of social life.
If you want to live around their apply to either Colston Hill or Winkworth, they are in almost identical locations but much more social.

2. If you are 'more suited to UWE' then it can be a bit weird at first, I was shocked by the number of public schoolers, but you quickly get over any social stereotypes you have. There are many many private schooled pupils but I don't think it is a bad thing, I had a great time there and they are just the same (mostly!) as everyone else. Also there is PLENTY of clubbing and going out, whatever halls you are in :smile:

3. No idea about English sorry! The one girl I knew who did it got pregnant in first year. Awk. Not sure that is a reflection on the department though somehow!!!

Colston Hall is not accepting undergrads for 2013-2014. No idea why.

:smile:

Latest