The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
Please don't turn down a great uni based on the fact it has a lot of posh people! Some of my best friends went to private school and I would never EVER have thought that would happen before I went.

I'll second this. I'm from a fairly average family, but I happened to go to a private secondary school. I really couldn't give a toss what sort of school anyone else went to, and indeed the vast majority of my friends at uni went to state schools. Some of my closest uni friends like to go on about how much they hate people who were privately educated, despite the fact that they have several friends sat nerar them who were privately educated. I still don't think that they've actually managed to deal with the idea that the stereotype of the privately educated doesn't quite match the reality :rolleyes:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Origami Bullets
I still don't think that they've actually managed to deal with the idea that the stereotype of the privately educated doesn't quite match the reality :rolleyes:

Yeah but you have to admit it's still a bit of a culture shock for people from state schools.
Reply 62
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'll second this. I'm from a fairly average family, but I happened to go to a private secondary school. I really couldn't give a toss what sort of school anyone else went to, and indeed the vast majority of my friends at uni went to state schools. Some of my closest uni friends like to go on about how much they hate people who were privately educated, despite the fact that they have several friends sat nerar them who were privately educated. I still don't think that they've actually managed to deal with the idea that the stereotype of the privately educated doesn't quite match the reality :rolleyes:

Haha I have never encountered this, we just had one friend who liked to go on about how much better than us all he was because he went to private school. Needless to say he had no-one to live with in second year and then failed out...
Reply 63
Original post by JamesTheCool
Yeah but you have to admit it's still a bit of a culture shock for people from state schools.

I wouldn't say that was a bad thing though, it forces you to be more open minded, and for me it definitely hit home how messed up society is in terms of public school privilege which lead to me becoming more politically active etc. It's a learning curve but it shouldn't have a negative impact on your life, you would have to be very closed minded to let it do that.
Reply 64
Original post by brokegirl11
Haha my family are from there and I must admit I do love it, such good shopping! I'm just not sure whether to put Birmingham or Bristol as my firm.

Yeah, well I know people from private schools at my collage cos it's a state college but is selective of people from outside the catchment. I'm just a bit scared of ending up in a corridor with all private school girls and feeling left out as I know friends that has happened to but I'm sure they were just very unlucky.

Oh well that's reassuring, coming from Wakefield (if you're in Leeds atm I'm sure you'll have heard how delightful it is) I haven't spent much time with 'posh' people lol.

It depends on what halls you apply to - self catered tend to have less private schoolers (other than Goldney). But they generally do try and match people anyway, so unless you apply to Wills/Churchill where the vast majority are private schooled you should be fine :smile:

I come from inner city Birmingham - The only private school people I had met before uni was by crashing house-parties in Edgebaston/Harbourne. My boyfriend is from Barnsley and went to the worst school in the area. We both had a great experience and have friends from all different backgrounds :smile:
You'll get some stick for being Northern (hell even I did!) but its generally just joking.

Yes, in the case of my (state educated) housemate came the culture shock that some families (i.e. my own) don't put the heating on because we can't afford it.
I wouldn't say that was a bad thing though, it forces you to be more open minded, and for me it definitely hit home how messed up society is in terms of public school privilege which lead to me becoming more politically active etc. It's a learning curve but it shouldn't have a negative impact on your life, you would have to be very closed minded to let it do that.

I'm from a state school and in my first year of uni I had to live with a bunch of people who went to boarding school. I agree with what you're saying, but I can't deny that I found some of them pretty intimidating. If they were more like Will from the Inbetweeners that would've been okay...
Reply 67
I'm from a state school and in my first year of uni I had to live with a bunch of people who went to boarding school. I agree with what you're saying, but I can't deny that I found some of them pretty intimidating. If they were more like Will from the Inbetweeners that would've been okay...

Yeah I thought the guy living opposite me in first year was a major bellend, however turns out hes an absolutely lovely guy. You don't know till you get to know someone and whether they are a nice person or not doesn't depend on background. Don't buy into the public school front.
Haha I have never encountered this, we just had one friend who liked to go on about how much better than us all he was because he went to private school. Needless to say he had no-one to live with in second year and then failed out...

The joke's on him. Going to private school is like playing a computer game with its difficulty set to 'easy'.
Reply 69
The joke's on him. Going to private school is like playing a computer game with its difficulty set to 'easy'.

All the people I know who failed out went to private school - to used to constantly being pushed/spoonfed from what I saw. Couldn't cope with having to independent work.
Original post by punctuation
There isn't a similar thread at the moment, so I thought I'd create one. Just as it says on the title: ask a current Bristol student. My hope is that any prospective/new/etc. students can ask questions, and any current/past Bristol student can answer them!

Without further ado: ask away! :smile:

Soo, I suppose you don't really remember but it won't hurt to try. Do you remember when did the prices for accommodation come out last year? I know there is plenty of time, but I'm just that impatient to choose where to live. :biggrin: And as my choice is really 'dependant' on prices, uuh, I can't wait!
Original post by hazel.red.leaf
Soo, I suppose you don't really remember but it won't hurt to try. Do you remember when did the prices for accommodation come out last year? I know there is plenty of time, but I'm just that impatient to choose where to live. :biggrin: And as my choice is really 'dependant' on prices, uuh, I can't wait!

I can't remember, you're right. :tongue: But I think it was over the summer, sorry!
Reply 72
I hope the prices of accommodation don't tend to rise a lot each year?

EDIT: Also, when does the lectures use to start?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Neuronica
I hope the prices of accommodation don't tend to rise a lot each year?

EDIT: Also, when does the lectures use to start?

Not sure about price rises but lectures usually start around the 2nd week in October!
Reply 74
Not sure about price rises but lectures usually start around the 2nd week in October!

Oh, that wasn't really my question, but thanks anyway - it's good to know! :smile:

What I wondered about was when in the morning they start. Like.. 8 am? 9 am? :smile:
Reply 75
Oh, that wasn't really my question, but thanks anyway - it's good to know! :smile:

What I wondered about was when in the morning they start. Like.. 8 am? 9 am? :smile:

In first year I had 9ams every day except Tuesdays.
I know that because I used to go out every Monday :P

But it varies from department to department
Reply 76
In first year I had 9ams every day except Tuesdays.
I know that because I used to go out every Monday :P

But it varies from department to department

Alright. Unlikely to have lectures 8 am, then? Nice! :biggrin: I'm so used to having to wake up 6:30 for school these days. Really looking forward to being able to sleep until 8! :biggrin:
Reply 77
Alright. Unlikely to have lectures 8 am, then? Nice! :biggrin: I'm so used to having to wake up 6:30 for school these days. Really looking forward to being able to sleep until 8! :biggrin:

Yeah lectures never start before 9 :smile:
Although you will have to get up ealier than 8 if you end up in stoke Bishop probably. But I know You're applying to halls near to uni so I have my fingers crossed for your 8.00 wakeups!
Reply 78
Although you will have to get up ealier than 8 if you end up in stoke Bishop probably. But I know You're applying to halls near to uni so I have my fingers crossed for your 8.00 wakeups!

Yepyep, no Stoke Bishop for me - think I'm going for Queen's Road to save some cash and be really close to the Union with the pool. :biggrin:
Reply 79

I have a feeling that's true unless you are a medic, in which case I believe you can have 8am starts. I'm not 100% sure it was medics, but there is some exception to the 9am rule.

And as for lectures starting in the second week of october, that is true this year, but next year they are messing around with the timetable to get 12 weeks worth of teaching in before christmas, so lectures are going to start more like the first week october/last week september. It's an attempt on the part of the university to fix the originally silly schedule that involves have 12-week long modules, and an exam period after christmas after only 10 weeks worth of teaching (basically the two results of this were either a. easter exams, or b. lecturers trying to fit 12 weeks worth of course into 10). Now they'll have a full half-year lecture timetable before christmas.

Latest

Trending

Trending