The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Hey guys it's kinda strange that I couldn't choose accommodation logging with my UCAS ID why is that?? Is it because we can't choose accolade too for insurance choice? Thx in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I applied for MSc Computer Science Conversion and got 4 offers from Bristol, York, Birmingham and Kent. I am between Bristol and Birmingham, which is better concerning the courses? Because I think Bristol's are a bit too general.
How is the Physics course taught at Bristol?

When do you get optional modules? Is the computing modules easy to transition to with no background.
How fast is the pace of the course? Number of contact hours/week? How long do you spend on going through A level
maths & Further maths in the first year before learning undergrad maths?

Is there Jan & June exam sittings? Are you allowed resits? If so are you capped when you resit or?
Does anyone know roughly how many contact hours you have per week when studying a language? (More specifically, Russian, if you know, but any language as a rough idea would be helpful). Thanks! :smile:
Reply 944
ideally i'd like to do straight law LLB at a Russell Group uni starting in 2016. I'm currently doing my AS-Levels now, and I'm positive i can get A's and B's, however i'm worried my GCSE grades may have already let me down (1A*3A 3B 1C). For the whole two years of my gcses i barely worked and wasn't focussed at all, but this year I've worked 10x as hard with the hope i can turn things around. The dream is Bristol followed by Newcastle, Exeter and other unis on par. Does anybody who's applied for law or is currently studying law at bristol have any advice for me? Am i wasting my time even considering law at bristol? and should i begin to consider other subjects/courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's Bristol like as a city? Is it culturally diverse? Is there much racism? I normally wouldn't ask but my dad insists I find out before I apply anywhere *rolls eyes*
i have paranoid parents xD
Reply 946
Original post by cw98
ideally i'd like to do straight law LLB at a Russell Group uni starting in 2016. I'm currently doing my AS-Levels now, and I'm positive i can get A's and B's, however i'm worried my GCSE grades may have already let me down (1A*3A 3B 1C). For the whole two years of my gcses i barely worked and wasn't focussed at all, but this year I've worked 10x as hard with the hope i can turn things around. The dream is Bristol followed by Newcastle, Exeter and other unis on par. Does anybody who's applied for law or is currently studying law at bristol have any advice for me? Am i wasting my time even considering law at bristol? and should i begin to consider other subjects/courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about your GCSEs! They really won't be a major factor at all when they look at your application. Just get some decent work experience over the summer before you apply, write a good personal statement, and get good AS grades.
Original post by thechemistress
What's Bristol like as a city? Is it culturally diverse? Is there much racism? I normally wouldn't ask but my dad insists I find out before I apply anywhere *rolls eyes*
i have paranoid parents xD

Noo, dont worry! Bristol is lovely. Its now the best city to live in England. I've been living here for 2 years now and everyone is very friendly. Racism is every where, so u cant avoid. I sometimes got joked by some jerks around, but like very rare. So dont worry! You'll enjoy it here!
I'm looking at attending Bristol and have a few questions.
how are the business programs?
I have lived and study in America my whole life what issues does that cause?
How expensive is it living in Bristol?
Original post by weevilface
Does anyone know roughly how many contact hours you have per week when studying a language? (More specifically, Russian, if you know, but any language as a rough idea would be helpful). Thanks! :smile:

Hi,
Not sure if this will help but I know for a joint honours language degree (e.g. Russian and French) you get about five hours a week per language.

Not sure if that helps at all?!
Hi everyone, bit early as I'm sitting my GCSEs currently, but Bristol might be one of my choices, can any History students recommend it? whats the course like? is it engaging? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Tash28
Hi,
Not sure if this will help but I know for a joint honours language degree (e.g. Russian and French) you get about five hours a week per language.

Not sure if that helps at all?!

Thank you!! And bloody hell, not much for £9000 is it?
Reply 952
How fun a place is Bristol compared to say Leeds or Manchester? Ended up firming Bristol as its by far the best of the three unis both in reputation and for my course, but I much preferred the entire university being on a campus like at Leeds & the whole place also just seemed a lot more laid back and like people were looking to have fun while at Bristol everyone seemed alot more serious and just focusing on work.

I know my priorities probably aren't right but I do want to have fun at uni before having to eventually get a real job, is Bristol good for nightlife etc.. or is it somewhere dull like Durham or Warwick?
Original post by Egg1
How fun a place is Bristol compared to say Leeds or Manchester? Ended up firming Bristol as its by far the best of the three unis both in reputation and for my course, but I much preferred the entire university being on a campus like at Leeds & the whole place also just seemed a lot more laid back and like people were looking to have fun while at Bristol everyone seemed alot more serious and just focusing on work.

I know my priorities probably aren't right but I do want to have fun at uni before having to eventually get a real job, is Bristol good for nightlife etc.. or is it somewhere dull like Durham or Warwick?

Bristol recently has been rated to be the best city to live so about the fun part, you have nothing to worry about. Clubs, pubs and events here, Im sure you dont even have enough time to go to all of them. Being a city based Uni is actually an advantage because everything is just within walking distance to you. You can just pop out from lecture and see ur friends and say "Hey, wanna go for a drink tonight, or wanna go shopping now?" => easy! I have never heard anyone who came to Bristol and said they didnt like it here, like never ever!
But, may I ask which course are u gonna study? Because whether you'll be able to go to pub everyday or not is highly dependent on ur course. For arts students, you have much more free time than let say science students, so you probably will be able to hang out more (of course, u can stay home and study for the 1st class degree, up to you)! If you doing science, then Im afraid you will need to work very hard since the course contents are tremendous. You can go out occasionally, but not too much unless you dont want to earn a good degree.
Reply 954
Original post by Teen_titans2702
Bristol recently has been rated to be the best city to live so about the fun part, you have nothing to worry about. Clubs, pubs and events here, Im sure you dont even have enough time to go to all of them. Being a city based Uni is actually an advantage because everything is just within walking distance to you. You can just pop out from lecture and see ur friends and say "Hey, wanna go for a drink tonight, or wanna go shopping now?" => easy! I have never heard anyone who came to Bristol and said they didnt like it here, like never ever!
But, may I ask which course are u gonna study? Because whether you'll be able to go to pub everyday or not is highly dependent on ur course. For arts students, you have much more free time than let say science students, so you probably will be able to hang out more (of course, u can stay home and study for the 1st class degree, up to you)! If you doing science, then Im afraid you will need to work very hard since the course contents are tremendous. You can go out occasionally, but not too much unless you dont want to earn a good degree.

I'm doing economics, so I'm guessing that falls somewhere between the two?
Original post by Egg1
I'm doing economics, so I'm guessing that falls somewhere between the two?

I'm not sure cauz I dont have friends studying economics. But this is one of Bristol's strong fields so I assume there will be quite a lot of work for you to do. But Im sure there will be time for you to relax and going out, so dont worry about not having time for fun. But just be prepared so that you wont feel overwhelmed! :smile:
So i am considering an application to Bristol for Law. I am a Scottish student and this year i am doing my Highers - Maths, English, French, Geography, History, Economics. However, i am unsure of which subjects to do next year that would best suit what i want to do.

I am thinking about:

Advanced Higher Geography
Advanced Higher History
A-Level Russian or Advanced Higher English or Advanced Higher Economics
Crash Higher Spanish

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have found two very useful groups for everyone coming to Bristol Uni this September:

You will be able to meet people who are also in the same course as you on here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BristolUniversityStudentsOfficial/?ref=browser

and on here

https://www.facebook.com/events/369784489895381/?ref=1&feed_story_type=117

:smile:
I need some advice. So I missed two of my vivas and a couple of my quiz and presentations due to illness. I am back now though and trying to revise as much as I possibly could every day. But what happened with those vivas that I missed? Will I be able to resit them? If so, when? Will it be possible to resit them straight after the current examination period is over? And get my grades on the same date as everybody else? Or do I need to wait until the summer examination period?
I'm a first year and if I don't get my grades in for those that I missed, I'm afraid I might fail.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 959
Hi, I've completed the access to bristol course this year so finger crossed thats an offer in the bag but i had a few questions about the physics course at bristol.
•Firstly, how many hours (roughly) of contact time do you have per week for the BSc/MSci Phys (although any rough idea is appreciated).
•What is CHAOS like, do they do a lot or are they just one of these societies that never really meets up?
•How much programming/computer knowledge is required/taught? (I did a bit of basic python and can work normal systems like windows/mac very well but not particularly familiar with proper programming)
•Is there any 'extra' physics stuff thats offered, eg internships, optional lectures, visiting lecturers, just generally getting involved with uni research etc.

Many thanks, see you soon hopefully!

PS I know I asked this in my own thread but then I saw this one and don't know how to delete the one I made... Sorry...

PPS If anyone is in BUAS then i'd appreciate some advice on applying, been to the airfield before and will be an ex-cadet when i apply so familiar with core RAF & Aviation concepts etc but unfortunately can't fly due to ear problems hoping this won't affect my application!

Latest

Trending

Trending