The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Do we get different personal tutor each year or it will be the same until I graduate?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 961
Is the 'typical offer' on the website what you will get as a conditional? For the course id like to apply to (2016 entry) the typical is listed a*aa and that seems very high in comparison to some other people's offers in other threads?
When do we get our school email?
Reply 963
Original post by Egg1
How fun a place is Bristol compared to say Leeds or Manchester? Ended up firming Bristol as its by far the best of the three unis both in reputation and for my course, but I much preferred the entire university being on a campus like at Leeds & the whole place also just seemed a lot more laid back and like people were looking to have fun while at Bristol everyone seemed alot more serious and just focusing on work.

I know my priorities probably aren't right but I do want to have fun at uni before having to eventually get a real job, is Bristol good for nightlife etc.. or is it somewhere dull like Durham or Warwick?

This is my exact same worry, with the same unis too!! Firmed Bristol over Leeds due to prestige and chose Manchester as my insurance, just hoping Bristol isn't dead or I'll regret my decision so much haha
Okay so I have a few questions I apologise :redface:

1. For the MEng CompSci Study Abroad, how competitive are the positions for US Universities like UCSB and Berkeley? How is the process mapped out for selecting partnered unis to move over to?

2. What is Computer Science at degree like overall? What's your favourite part of the course, the worst part of the course, etc..

3. What's the language department like at Bristol? On a scale of 1-10, how much would you rate it?

4. Which accomodation has the most accessibility to CompSci department and the town? In general, which would you recommend and why?

5. How diverse of a community is Bristol in terms of ethnicity and public/private school students?

Thankss :tongue:
Leechayy
Reply 965
Original post by Egg1
I'm doing economics, so I'm guessing that falls somewhere between the two?

Hey Egg, I've just finished my final year at Bristol doing Economics and I would say that's a fair statement. First year isn't too bad, but workload kicks up a lot in second and third year so time management is important. You probably won't have as much lectures as engineers do, but you're expected to do a fair bit of studying independently. Also, all the best with Bristol, I had a blast there and would love to go back and do it again! Enjoy it!

Original post by indieguy
Do we get different personal tutor each year or it will be the same until I graduate?

My personal tutor was the same for all 3 years and I'd imagine it would be the same person unless they left the university.

Original post by item8
This is my exact same worry, with the same unis too!! Firmed Bristol over Leeds due to prestige and chose Manchester as my insurance, just hoping Bristol isn't dead or I'll regret my decision so much haha

You'll have a great social life in Bristol! There is so many things on whether it be in city centre, gloucester road, the triangle, park street etc. Trust when I say it is far from dead mate!
Reply 966
Original post by Leechayy

1. For the MEng CompSci Study Abroad, how competitive are the positions for US Universities like UCSB and Berkeley? How is the process mapped out for selecting partnered unis to move over to?

2. What is Computer Science at degree like overall? What's your favourite part of the course, the worst part of the course, etc..

3. What's the language department like at Bristol? On a scale of 1-10, how much would you rate it?

4. Which accomodation has the most accessibility to CompSci department and the town? In general, which would you recommend and why?

5. How diverse of a community is Bristol in terms of ethnicity and public/private school students?

Leechayy

I can have a go at some of these questions.

1. Not really too sure, my friend went to Irvine College, California and he does Aeronautical engineering, but he had one of the highest averages in year so I imagine that as long as your second year average is high, you should be alright.

3. I did an open unit for Portuguese and thought my tutor was really good, other friends of mine did French, Japanese and Spanish and I don't recall hearing anything bad from them.

4. I honestly can not remember where the CompSci department is, but! I lived in City Centre during my second year and had pretty good access to the city. Depends if you prefer city centre or Clifton. If City centre: Colston Street, Unite House. Clifton: Clifton Hill House, Goldney Hall. Can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but it also depends on whether you prefer self-catered or catered.

5. The city is really diverse and it's the reason why it's a great place to live. There are students from different backgrounds, countries etc. I think for my course it was around 50-50 for private/public school kids, but you couldn't really tell unless you asked them.
Original post by Hemzo
I can have a go at some of these questions.

1. Not really too sure, my friend went to Irvine College, California and he does Aeronautical engineering, but he had one of the highest averages in year so I imagine that as long as your second year average is high, you should be alright.

3. I did an open unit for Portuguese and thought my tutor was really good, other friends of mine did French, Japanese and Spanish and I don't recall hearing anything bad from them.

4. I honestly can not remember where the CompSci department is, but! I lived in City Centre during my second year and had pretty good access to the city. Depends if you prefer city centre or Clifton. If City centre: Colston Street, Unite House. Clifton: Clifton Hill House, Goldney Hall. Can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but it also depends on whether you prefer self-catered or catered.

5. The city is really diverse and it's the reason why it's a great place to live. There are students from different backgrounds, countries etc. I think for my course it was around 50-50 for private/public school kids, but you couldn't really tell unless you asked them.

Thanks for replying :smile:

1. Okay, so is it determined by your 2nd year average alone or 1st and 2nd year average? If so does that mean the tests are termly based? Doesn't your 1st year count?

3. Ohh that sounds good, was hoping to learn either Japanese or Italian :biggrin:

4. I guess I'd prefer catered to be honest since it'd be cheaper in the long run. Taking that into account which woud you pick?

Even though it seems you don't do CompSci your answers have helped me a lot, thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 968
Thanks for replying :smile:

1. Okay, so is it determined by your 2nd year average alone or 1st and 2nd year average? If so does that mean the tests are termly based? Doesn't your 1st year count?

3. Ohh that sounds good, was hoping to learn either Japanese or Italian :biggrin:

4. I guess I'd prefer catered to be honest since it'd be cheaper in the long run. Taking that into account which woud you pick?

Even though it seems you don't do CompSci your answers have helped me a lot, thank you so much :biggrin:

No worries mate!

1. I think both 1st and 2nd, but I know 1st year is 0% towards your final degree so it might just be second. Though I'm not 100% sure on this so you'll have to ask when you get there.

3. In that case I'd go for Colston Street. It's a fairly big place and close to city centre, shops, clubs etc. It's less than a 5 minute walk away from uni. I know it's always in high demand so don't be too disheartened if you don't get it.
Original post by Hemzo
No worries mate!

1. I think both 1st and 2nd, but I know 1st year is 0% towards your final degree so it might just be second. Though I'm not 100% sure on this so you'll have to ask when you get there.

3. In that case I'd go for Colston Street. It's a fairly big place and close to city centre, shops, clubs etc. It's less than a 5 minute walk away from uni. I know it's always in high demand so don't be too disheartened if you don't get it.

1. I'll email the department and see what they say then, I'm looking to apply next year whilst on a gap year:redface:

3. Okay, how many places do you choose then?
Reply 970
1. I'll email the department and see what they say then, I'm looking to apply next year whilst on a gap year:redface:

3. Okay, how many places do you choose then?

I picked 2 back in my day, but my cousin has just finished his first year at Bristol and he had to pick 3.
Did anyone here insure Bristol and get decent accommodation? I'm just a little worried about accommodation because insurers don't get to choose until results day. I feel as if all the good places to live will be removed for the list due to being oversubscribed and maybe the more expensive or less nice places will be left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

[...]

[...]

Leechayy

If you're interested in Japanese classes then you can pay for some with the Japanese society. They added more classes at different levels to accompany the beginners classes.

Computer Science is based in the Merchant Venturers building on Park Row/Woodland Road (next to the Wills Memorial Building). Closest will probably be The Hawthorns then Culver House and Unite House. You'll probably find that you'll have lecturers in other places but it's probably not as bad as the situation in Maths (I've never once had a lecture in the Maths building). I agree that I would go for Colston Street.
Any Bristol law students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you get a job at the uni itself? I'll have to work part time to support myself but it'd be difficult to work when I have to return home every few weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by misteltain
Can you get a job at the uni itself? I'll have to work part time to support myself but it'd be difficult to work when I have to return home every few weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe certain bars in different halls of residence allow you to have jobs behind the bar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by misteltain

Posted from TSR Mobile

The university is likely to take on student ambassadors, and the SU will have student bar staff too.

You could also try event hospitality work via an agency like Berkeley Scott or Catering Services International.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a few questions if someone could kindly help me out:

1. Is there a medical centre or GP I can register with at the university, or will I have to register with a GP in the local area?

2. How do people tend to get around? Are there certain taxi services you'd recommend, or do people tend to use buses?

3. Any idea when the summer reading list will be released for English Lit students?

4. Is there good coverage for Vodafone in Bristol? Or is there another phone company that gives better coverage?

Thanks so much!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jasminority
I have a few questions if someone could kindly help me out:

1. Is there a medical centre or GP I can register with at the university, or will I have to register with a GP in the local area?

2. How do people tend to get around? Are there certain taxi services you'd recommend, or do people tend to use buses?

3. Any idea when the summer reading list will be released for English Lit students?

4. Is there good coverage for Vodafone in Bristol? Or is there another phone company that gives better coverage?

Thanks so much!

1. The university has it's own Student Health Service, which includes a GP practice so you can register there. They're very good there as well.

2. Most people I know tend to walk or cycle most places. If you're living in Stoke Bishop halls, there's the bus service to get you into uni and that will also take you down into the centre. As for taxis, I rarely catch them because they're quite expensive so I can help you there.

3. Sorry not an English student so can't help.

4. I was on vodafone for most of first year and never had any signal problems so you should be fine with them.

Hope this helped!
Original post by Stripes23
1. The university has it's own Student Health Service, which includes a GP practice so you can register there. They're very good there as well.

2. Most people I know tend to walk or cycle most places. If you're living in Stoke Bishop halls, there's the bus service to get you into uni and that will also take you down into the centre. As for taxis, I rarely catch them because they're quite expensive so I can help you there.

3. Sorry not an English student so can't help.

4. I was on vodafone for most of first year and never had any signal problems so you should be fine with them.

Hope this helped!

Thanks so much, that's a big help. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending