The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Rubgish
I have a feeling that's true unless you are a medic, in which case I believe you can have 8am starts. I'm not 100% sure it was medics, but there is some exception to the 9am rule.

And as for lectures starting in the second week of october, that is true this year, but next year they are messing around with the timetable to get 12 weeks worth of teaching in before christmas, so lectures are going to start more like the first week october/last week september. It's an attempt on the part of the university to fix the originally silly schedule that involves have 12-week long modules, and an exam period after christmas after only 10 weeks worth of teaching (basically the two results of this were either a. easter exams, or b. lecturers trying to fit 12 weeks worth of course into 10). Now they'll have a full half-year lecture timetable before christmas.

Ah that's a huge improvement! I always thought it was a bit dumb.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 81
Everything I've heard about Bristol sounds really good, it's the the top 10 for History which is what I'll be studying but can someone on here what the people are like? I've heard a lot of private school educated people come here and that's so different to where I'm from!
Reply 82
Original post by KatieMonc
Everything I've heard about Bristol sounds really good, it's the the top 10 for History which is what I'll be studying but can someone on here what the people are like? I've heard a lot of private school educated people come here and that's so different to where I'm from!

Don't let that put you are off! Just because they are private schooled doesn't mean they are horrible, it can be a bit of a culture shock but you get used to it settle in and start getting on with people from all different backgrounds really quickly :smile:
Original post by KatieMonc

Yep, what redferry said. If you go back one or two pages you'll see a big discussion about it if you want more detail. :smile:
Reply 84
I will be coming to Bristol in Sept 2013 can anyone advise on the best housing? Was looking at Deans or Chantry?

I'll be studying Gender and International Relations so looking for somewhere close and comfy?

Looking forward to feedback....
Hi all, I apologise in advance, I'm going to have a lot of questions!
I've applied to do Biology at Bristol (starting this september) and it's probably going to be my first choice :smile:

1. I live in yorkshire, so it's a 4 hour train journey to Bristol - anyone else who lives pretty far away, how often do you come home during the term?
2. are there any stereotypes for the different halls and who lives there? are any of them true? :tongue: and are the majority of first year students in stoke bishop or are they pretty spread out?
3. would you recommend catered or self-catered accomodation?
4. any Bristol biologists out there, did you enjoy the course?
5. is there anything you wish you'd known before going to uni?

ta :smile:
Original post by MissDove
I will be coming to Bristol in Sept 2013 can anyone advise on the best housing? Was looking at Deans or Chantry?

I'll be studying Gender and International Relations so looking for somewhere close and comfy?

Looking forward to feedback....

I don't know about either, to be honest. I think they're both owned by UNITE. For 'close' I'd recommend The Hawthorns, St. Michael's Hill, St. Michael's Park, Woodland Court
Original post by lilmisssunshine13

1. I live in yorkshire, so it's a 4 hour train journey to Bristol - anyone else who lives pretty far away, how often do you come home during the term?

Me too! (there was a point at which I thought it was a bit far away but Bristol looks brilliant so who cares :wink:)

Also:
I know rumours are rumours but I've heard that a lot of people who were rejected from Oxbridge come to either here or Durham so do you find you have a mix of people in general? And what is the nightlife like in Bristol?
Original post by punctuation
Some halls (Goldney Hall (my hall) and Clifton Hill House come to mind, but there may be several others) have a music room.

However, I'm fairly certain they don't have their own drums or guitars, so you'd have to supply your own. Goldney definitely has its own grand piano that you can play whenever you'd like, and I'm pretty sure you can play your own guitar in the music room. :smile:

I've been looking at goldney hall online - it looks really nice - what do you think of it? :smile:
Original post by lilmisssunshine13
I've been looking at goldney hall online - it looks really nice - what do you think of it? :smile:

Yep it is really nice :smile: unfortunately it's often the most popular choice :/ but it's worth a shot! The grounds are beautiful and the common spaces are lovely
Reply 90
Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but as I've just firmed Bristol, I was wondering how I apply for accommodation? Or does it open in June?
Original post by Sannn
Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but as I've just firmed Bristol, I was wondering how I apply for accommodation? Or does it open in June?

It opens on 3rd June this year and it's online. Though I'm not quite sure how exactly this would happen :biggrin: But they should e-mail us in May, so no worries!
Reply 92
Original post by hazel.red.leaf
It opens on 3rd June this year and it's online. Though I'm not quite sure how exactly this would happen :biggrin: But they should e-mail us in May, so no worries!

Ah right, cheers :smile:
Could a student living (or who has lived) at Badock Hall let me know what the food is like there? :smile: I've heard it's not great but what would be the typical options at dinner..? Like could you give me an example menu sort of thing? Cheers!
Reply 94
Hi,
I have a soft spot for Bristol and was gutted when they offered me a different course.
As I debate back and forth between Durham and London, I realized both scare me for their opposite characters: too lonely and isolated, or too busy and chaotic (and expensive!).
So after much debating I've thrown Bristol back into the mix, because I feel it would be a better compromise for money and quality of life!

I'd applied for Arch+Anthro and was told I'd be better for straight Arch, so I'm holding an unconditional for that. Seeing as Ucas Extra opened a while ago, there could be some spots for the course I wanted initially, so I emailed the department and kindly asked. Do you think they could do something? Theoretically, not everyone will have accepted their offer, so I could have shot, or is it something they never do?

Is there someone doing either Archaeology or Archaeology & Anthropology? I've pored over the programs of my other choices, and would love some first-hand feedback.
Also: is it mainly indipendent work, or is there some kind of academic support?
thanks!

Oh, and one last thing: how easy is it to find a part time job? Is Bristol an expensive city?
Reply 95
Original post by laStrada
Hi,
I have a soft spot for Bristol and was gutted when they offered me a different course.
As I debate back and forth between Durham and London, I realized both scare me for their opposite characters: too lonely and isolated, or too busy and chaotic (and expensive!).
So after much debating I've thrown Bristol back into the mix, because I feel it would be a better compromise for money and quality of life!

I'd applied for Arch+Anthro and was told I'd be better for straight Arch, so I'm holding an unconditional for that. Seeing as Ucas Extra opened a while ago, there could be some spots for the course I wanted initially, so I emailed the department and kindly asked. Do you think they could do something? Theoretically, not everyone will have accepted their offer, so I could have shot, or is it something they never do?

Is there someone doing either Archaeology or Archaeology & Anthropology? I've pored over the programs of my other choices, and would love some first-hand feedback.
Also: is it mainly indipendent work, or is there some kind of academic support?
thanks!

Oh, and one last thing: how easy is it to find a part time job? Is Bristol an expensive city?

So easy! If you know the right places to look. The uni is in the centre of town and it's surrounded by cafes, bars, pubs, clubs, shops etc. The uni also has one of the best careers services around, but it won't come to you. You've got to take the initiative and go see them and see what's out there.

Best student jobs are probably working for the union as it's good pay (think it's around £7 an hour) and you get to meet lots of cool people and it's easy to fit around studies. Another good one is if you look on the uni careers website (when you get here) there's a section for uni students looking for term-time employment and often you get internships in various university departments (usually around 15 hours a week and pay around £8-10 an hour I believe) which is great for your CV.
Original post by laStrada

Bristol is a relatively affluent city, and you will be living in the nicer end of town. However I don't notice a big difference in costs between Bristol and Manchester, so long as you don't do all your food shopping in Clifton Village and are generally sensible with what you buy.

There are jobs out there - in 2010 I managed to get a job near the university in three weeks flat with no real experience to think of. However, you do have to take the initiative and not make like some friends of mine who applied for about 5 jobs, didn't get them, and then moaned that they couldn't get a job. Consider working outside areas that are traditionally student dominated - for instance, Westbury village isn't far away from Stoke Bishop halls, but very few students go there.
can someone pls help.. i applied to do accounting and finance at bristol and got a conditional offer. my as levels went really badly partly due to a medical condition and rest because of overconfidence from 8 a*s at GCSE. i had A B C D D grades. the only A i got was in business studies . i had to apply to university (family problem) taking gap year was not an option. so i applid to sth business related- acc nd finance. now i absolutely regret my choice. i dont know what i was thinking 6 months ago!!!! i would hate doing this course because i dont enjoy business studies at all.... what i do enjoy is mathematics.... wht chance do i have of swapping to econ and maths course ( as i dnt mind doing econ) ????? how should i go about this? who should i talk to?? pls help someone plsss
to any bristol students who does physics or know someone who does,

whats it like? hows the teaching, etc?
Original post by A&F2013
...............s

You need to speak to your personal tutor or your School undergraduate education manager or similar. However, without an A in A level Maths I suspect you've got no chance at all of transferring to Maths. You'll also have to be doing well on the course you are on, but you might as well ask.

Latest

Trending

Trending