The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inazuma
We have uber :wink:

Absolutely not, no-one is disadvantaged anywhere by not going to private school.

None of the engineers (of varying disciplines) have a problem, some went out almost every day of the week, so you'd be fine!

Semi related, but have you heard of the 93% club that's been formed on facebook?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Semi related, but have you heard of the 93% club that's been formed on facebook?

Sadly so, my opinion of it is about the same as my opinion on special snowflake SJWs. Self-segregation, yay!
Private schoolers are just other humans, not sure what this fascination is with them, or why people keep being concerned about it.

I do find the Wills stereotype funny though, since I think it's HB that has the highest private %! :biggrin:
Original post by Inazuma
Sadly so, my opinion of it is about the same as my opinion on special snowflake SJWs. Self-segregation, yay!
Private schoolers are just other humans, not sure what this fascination is with them, or why people keep being concerned about it.

I do find the Wills stereotype funny though, since I think it's HB that has the highest private %! :biggrin:

I agree - as a state school educated individual some of the posts on the page make me cringe really hard.

One girl was so adamant on telling everyone how she felt so 'excluded' because she couldn't afford to pay for holidays to go to these exotic places like everyone, etc etc... And I'm thinking, no, you're not forced to hang out with these people. I have never been made to feel like that, and if anyone ever tried to, they'd be cut out from my life before they could say posh. There's so many people at university so why are you even hanging out with these people?

Funnily enough, Wills is posh but the people (from my experience) have been genuinely nice - it's Churchill that has the nasty snobs imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I agree - as a state school educated individual some of the posts on the page make me cringe really hard.

One girl was so adamant on telling everyone how she felt so 'excluded' because she couldn't afford to pay for holidays to go to these exotic places like everyone, etc etc... And I'm thinking, no, you're not forced to hang out with these people. I have never been made to feel like that, and if anyone ever tried to, they'd be cut out from my life before they could say posh. There's so many people at university so why are you even hanging out with these people?

Funnily enough, Wills is posh but the people (from my experience) have been genuinely nice - it's Churchill that has the nasty snobs imo.

As a state grammar, I've been too terrified to join :wink:

No neither, granted through the political socs and Wills I've met some.... interesting people - all I did was politely ignore them, then never talk to them again! It really was that simple. There's always going to be people like that, anywhere, no matter whether the uni has 'too many' private schoolers or not :tongue:
Plenty are nice (and the odd 'posh' person who has no care for money and buys you free drinks all the time).

Haha yes, that's what I often try to tell people, Wills has the rah rep, but it's Churchill you've got to look out for :wink: (Though we had the Hogwarts dining room to make ourselves feel better)
Am struggling to decide whether the benefits of Stoke bishop (more social) are worth it when you have to walk for ages each day. Anybody got any advice ?
Original post by wizard01
How did you find having to get the bus to and from university regularly? Did it influence your involvement in societies or anything like that

The bus actually becomes a really sociable aspect of first year! Everyone in Stoke Bishop (a lot of students) is in the same position, so you're not at all isolated. Personally, I was interested in getting involved in societies and just getting out and about in bristol further than the student bubble, so I put the effort in to do so - and it didn't take much effort at all.
Original post by Rowena96
The bus actually becomes a really sociable aspect of first year! Everyone in Stoke Bishop (a lot of students) is in the same position, so you're not at all isolated. Personally, I was interested in getting involved in societies and just getting out and about in bristol further than the student bubble, so I put the effort in to do so - and it didn't take much effort at all.

Hadn't considered that actually, thanks. Where were you staying and how easy was it to get on the bus in the mornings ?
Original post by MichaelJames97
Hadn't considered that actually, thanks. Where were you staying and how easy was it to get on the bus in the mornings ?

I was UH, it was obviously busier at certain times in the morning but you got to learn quickly how long to allow
The accommodation website have posted some really usefull videos of the residences :wink:
The accommodation website have posted some really usefull videos of the residences :wink:

All the places I applied to look so wack. :frown:
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
All the places I applied to look so wack. :frown:

What places did you apply to??
What places did you apply to??

The Rackhay and Favel House (2nd and 3rd choices), which I knew were pretty crappy already, look even worse than I'd previously thought.
It's the garden in Manor Hall, my first choice, that comes off a little badly in the video, I feel.
idk, perhaps I'm being to picky.

I doubt it'll bother me too much, I shouldn't complain.
I'm thinking about maybe applying to Bristol through UCAS extra to do a degree in Psychology. Any idea on what the course is like? And also what is the accomodation like? The course is the main thing but also what's the general atmosphere around, nightlife, clubs...? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by fudgeltwattle
I'm thinking about maybe applying to Bristol through UCAS extra to do a degree in Psychology. Any idea on what the course is like? And also what is the accomodation like? The course is the main thing but also what's the general atmosphere around, nightlife, clubs...? Thanks :biggrin:

As I understand it, @lou_100 is coming to the end of a Philosophy and Psychology course at Bristol. I assume she is busy with her dissertation at the moment, but she has a thread that may answer some of your course related questions if you can't reach her directly.
As I understand it, @lou_100 is coming to the end of a Philosophy and Psychology course at Bristol. I assume she is busy with her dissertation at the moment, but she has a thread that may answer some of your course related questions if you can't reach her directly.

Thank you! I'll look on her thread now :wink:
Reply 1355

I do psychology. I think the course here is really good, it's interesting and covers a wide variety of aspects.

If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to help.
Original post by Nmys
I do psychology. I think the course here is really good, it's interesting and covers a wide variety of aspects.

If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to help.

Thank you so much :smile: Here are a few question that sprung to mind, it would be great if you could answer them when you have a moment:

- What are the best and worst things about the uni in your opinion?
- What's the accomdation like?
-How have you found the course so far: exams, coursework, lecturers...?
- What's the atmosphere and social life in Bristol like?

:ta:
The Rackhay and Favel House (2nd and 3rd choices), which I knew were pretty crappy already, look even worse than I'd previously thought.
It's the garden in Manor Hall, my first choice, that comes off a little badly in the video, I feel.
idk, perhaps I'm being to picky.

I doubt it'll bother me too much, I shouldn't complain.

I'm sure once you're there you won't even notice the surroundings. I'm probably going to put manor hall as my first choice aswell :smile:
I'm sure once you're there you won't even notice the surroundings. I'm probably going to put manor hall as my first choice aswell :smile:

I'm aiming for one of the annexes, Sinclair House (the pastel-coloured buildings), not the main building.

I wonder if you and I will ever meet...:moon:
Reply 1359
Thank you so much :smile: Here are a few question that sprung to mind, it would be great if you could answer them when you have a moment:

- What are the best and worst things about the uni in your opinion?
- What's the accomdation like?
-How have you found the course so far: exams, coursework, lecturers...?
- What's the atmosphere and social life in Bristol like?

:ta:

Best things - everything is located in one area so it's easy to get to (apart from the stats lectures but that may change). It's really close to town too.

Worst thing - the weird allocation of lectures, as psychology doesn't have a building, so you just have to check your timetable to see where you're going every day.

Accommodation - well it looks better in the pictures... but it's not too bad, it just depends where you go. I was in one of the smaller houses of residence, which has its perks, but if you're looking for something more social apply to a bigger one, like one of the halls in Stoke Bishop.

Coursework is manageable as long as you organise your time, because the deadlines for psychology all come in the same week. It's alright when you only have 2 pieces to hand in, but when there's a few more you have to get on top of it early... or not, up to you.The exams are multiple choice, apart from one essay based exam. For these you just have to remember as much as you can and go for it. We didn't get much guidance for the essay exam, but it was fine. All the lecturers are pretty good too.

I find the atmosphere here to be really chill and the social life is what you make of it.