The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HTanner001
How easy is it to balance a part time job during studies?

Easy if you don't work over 15 hours. If you work more than 15 hours problems start to occur.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I've seen that some jobs are 'apply in-store' ie hand in CV rather than online apps.*

Is it worth making a trip down to Bristol to hand out CVs?

I'm not expecting to do more than 16 hours (8 might be fine to cover my non-uni related bills depending on the wage) & only in evenings + weekends so it doesn't affect classes.*
Should I bother applying to Bristol for English if they ask for an A in a contextual offer and I got a B?
Original post by stratagems
I've seen that some jobs are 'apply in-store' ie hand in CV rather than online apps.*

Is it worth making a trip down to Bristol to hand out CVs?

I'm not expecting to do more than 16 hours (8 might be fine to cover my non-uni related bills depending on the wage) & only in evenings + weekends so it doesn't affect classes.*

A trip wouldn't hurt, if your handing out physical CV's take a look at Gloucester Road, Whiteladies Road, Park Street and Queens Road. They've all got a high concentration of cafes/shops.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Should I bother applying to Bristol for English if they ask for an A in a contextual offer and I got a B?

Need more info.

Have you finished your A-Levels?

Do you plan on resitting?*
Need more info.

Have you finished your A-Levels?

Do you plan on resitting?*

So I did one A2 and 2 ASs. The A2 was in English I got a B in it. The other two I got Cs in (I spoke to both of the subject departments and they said they were looking into predicting me As). So I'll be predicted AAB hopefully.
So I did one A2 and 2 ASs. The A2 was in English I got a B in it. The other two I got Cs in (I spoke to both of the subject departments and they said they were looking into predicting me As). So I'll be predicted AAB hopefully.

If you haven't finished your other A2s, then maybe resit one English unit which you have the best chance in upping to an A.*

Was it English Lit or Lit & Lang?
If you haven't finished your other A2s, then maybe resit one English unit which you have the best chance in upping to an A.*

Was it English Lit or Lit & Lang?

Lang Lit.

Pointless. They want a A grade, and English at Bristol is so competitive/high demand that they wont be charitable. With an achieved B grade you will get an immediate rejection. Either retake, or apply to Unis within your grades.
Original post by returnmigrant
Pointless. They want a A grade, and English at Bristol is so competitive/high demand that they wont be charitable. With an achieved B grade you will get an immediate rejection. Either retake, or apply to Unis within your grades.

Yeah I heard about that one. I could apply for Anthro because Bristol want ABB.
Lang Lit.

OK - you would definitely need to retake or resubmit coursework in that case if you're set on doing English.

Also, what were your unit grades?

I think it's easier if you have more scope for improving your grade by resitting the exam than redoing the coursework. I got almost full UMS for the exams, but hated the creative writing courseworks & doubt I could get a better grade than what I achieved as a result as I'm rubbish at creative writing. If you're in the same boat, it may be worth looking at another subject.

The exams are quite easy as long as you stick to the structure & therefore an A in those units is achievable for anyone, I think.
Is the uni really competitive? I told my teacher I'm applying here because I knew London unis would have an insane number of applicants and she told me Bristol is about the same.

Is it really that popular? And why?

(What I've heard of Bristol is Banksy and drugs lol, not really something you put as #1 on UCAS...or so I thought)
Original post by ib_hopeful
Is the uni really competitive? I told my teacher I'm applying here because I knew London unis would have an insane number of applicants and she told me Bristol is about the same.

Is it really that popular? And why?

(What I've heard of Bristol is Banksy and drugs lol, not really something you put as #1 on UCAS...or so I thought)

Interest in the 'local music and cultural' scene is a legitimate thing to put on your personal statement. Bristol likes to think itself and independent city and the University see's itself as integral to the city's identity, perhaps something that could constitute a line or two of your P/S. Could be a good way of adding a bit of personality to the end of your statement.

Applications to places ratio is one of the highest in the country, but don't let that stop you from applying. If you application deserves an offer it will get it.
I'm an American applying to Bristol for English literature. Could someone tell me how they like their English course/the experience of internationals at the uni/living in Bristol (heard it's lovely and pretty hip-sounds comparable to Portland, Oregon)? Thanks
Just remember something important - the number of applications for any one course (or Uni) actually tells you very little about the quality of such applications.

Many applications to the 'big' Unis are wildly optimistic (or they just havnt bothered to read the grade/subject requirements) and get an immediate rejection. If you compared the number of credible applications to Bristol it would be pretty similar to any other Uni. Bristol is popular because its a) RG, b) 'traditional', c) close to London. This means lots of people apply as a bit of a punt - and won't get an offer - hence the high application numbers.

If you meet the admissions requirements and can write a sensible, focussed PS, then apply to Bristol - chances are you'll get an offer.
Original post by louisafrost
can anyone tell me what the Geography course at Bristol is like please?

Science based, but has the advantage of combining human and physical geog options in one degree. Lots of opportunities for study abroad. Nice, cosy feeling, old building.
Original post by eliyahul'orignal
I'm an American applying to Bristol for English literature. Could someone tell me how they like their English course/the experience of internationals at the uni/living in Bristol (heard it's lovely and pretty hip-sounds comparable to Portland, Oregon)? Thanks

Films to watch :

Open Day at Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/watch/
General 'Uni of Bristol' film : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8
Life in Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
Original post by louisafrost
Thanks for the reply, on the website the course says focus on glaciology/hydrology, is this interesting as I'm more interested in natural disasters/tectonics? And what's the human part like?

Unit catalogue : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/unit-programme-catalogue/UnitsForDept.jsa;jsessionid=B3CBD1A61467DE940B1F3B48CE9D03CA.nAC10040C2063?selectedCatalogue=UNIT&orgCode=GEOG&ayrCode=16%2F17

No-one can tell you if you will enjoy this course or if its right for you. You have to work this out for yourself.
PS. Uni Open Day on Friday - places still available - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/ - if you come to this, you can ask all the questions you like.
1. Is it worth buying a ‘hall wristband’ (my hall is University Hall) sold by the student union?
2. University Hall wristbands have been sold out…is that bad for me? Should I buy the wristbands to the individual events that were on the ‘Hall wristband’?
3. Do you think there will be another opportunity to buy University Hall wristbands/will everyone in my hall have the hall wristband?
4. How many individual wristbands are you allowed to buy on the student union website?
5. Can you buy wristbands when I get to the event?
6. Whats the possibility that lots of people are in my position of owning ZERO wristbands in my hall?
7. OMG. What do I do??!?!?!?
Hey I was let in under offer at AAB instead of AAA for economics and finance but the B was in biology and my A in maths was a
mark from an A*. I had to work really hard for my A levels, so do you think I will struggle at Bristol?

Latest

Trending

Trending