The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS?

I am terribly indecisive and looking for as many opinions as possible, so.

I am currently taking Latin, German, Spanish and Physics AS in lessons in my school, and Maths outside of lessons (it would have clashed with German, Spanish or Latin otherwise). I really like all my subjects, except for Latin Poetry, which I despise with pretty much all of my being. The only part of Latin which I always enjoy is Latin Language, because I'm not generally that keen on the prose either. I also really want to do Further Maths, in order to have a better chance of doing Computer Science at university.

So, what I'm wondering is should I drop Latin so I can go into a Maths class, and hopefully take up Further Maths? I am very aware that my subject combination is weird for Computer Science, but I adore languages, and all Latin Language lessons are wonderful.

I would feel bad dropping Latin as well, because the teachers are really nice, and I would then not have any lessons with half of my friends (not so much of a thing, 'cause we eat lunch together, but still). My mum, however, keeps telling me I should drop a subject, but if I did then I would want to be picking up Further Maths instead. She just wants me to drop something.

So, should I drop Latin and just translate things for fun? Should I take up Further Maths if it's possible? Or should I just keep what I have at the moment and try to deal with my complete inability to write about literature in any way? (I'm terrible at English Literature as well, I think I did worse than almost everyone else in my year in the exam.)

Any advice would be gratefully received!
Reply 1
Im taking latin, maths, and further maths among others and i'm in year 13 now. I would say it depends on your maths grade; if you feel confident with maths then further maths shouldn't be too difficult a step up for you, and it sounds to me like that might be a useful one to have for computer science.

Latin only gets more literature-heavy as you go along. For example, my course at the moment consists of studying prose and verse set texts, and unseen prose and verse authors*– no real latin language work any more. You basically learn all of the major constructions and grammar points sometime into AS so after that you really just focus on literature. Given that I cant imagine Latin bears any relevance to computer science, and that you despise literature, it sounds like a good idea to drop it (don't worry about nice teachers i had that with art and you only regret it for a couple of weeks!).
Reply 2
i'd do maths instead of latin for computer science.

Quick Reply

Latest