The Student Room Group

How do medical schools filter their applicants?

Would each component of the application i.e. A levels, ukcat/bmat and interview be taken into consideration or would applicants who don't meet the stated A levels be filtered off before they look at the other one/ two components?
It's very different for each university, but if you don't meet a cutoff for any factor then your application is instantly rejected.

Every school will have an A level prediction cutoff, this will either be AAA or A*AA, in one case AAB is considered and sometimes an additional AS or A level will be required for the offer, usually a B or C grade.

Some will have a UKCAT or BMAT cutoff, others will rank or score these and a few will use it to discriminate between borderline applicants.

GCSEs have minimum grades which are required, then there are cutoffs which will usually be something like 6A's or just minimum grades. Many uni's will score GCSE's and rank applicants based on these scores too.

Finally personal statements can be given a score which is usually added to other scores, or where a score system isn't used, to discriminate between applicants who meet minimum requirements.
Reply 2
Which school is that one case where AAB would be considered?

I am actually thinking of striving for a high UKCAT score to make up for my actual AAB grades since most medical schools now require AAA.

How realistic is this?
Reply 3
Original post by Inceptive

I am actually thinking of striving for a high UKCAT score to make up for my actual AAB grades since most medical schools now require AAA.

How realistic is this?

If you have achieved AAB then no standard five year course will take you regardless of anything else on your application. However if you are predicted AAB Liverpool and HYMS will consider your application (If you get an offer it will be conditional on AAA though)
Reply 4

How realistic is this?

Brighton and Sussex Medical school would consider AAB but you'd have to improve the B if you're on your gap year.
University of East Anglia will also consider AAB but then again you'd need a prediction of A* in the subject you have the B in and subsequently ought to attain the A*.
Paninsula also will but again a similar principle applies to those of above and so your offer would be conditional on the term you improve that B.
You can always try the foundation year courses also :smile:
Reply 5
I am not from UK. I am actually from Singapore. I already have my A level results. As some of you guys might know, there are more subjects that we have to take for our A levels here.

I have seen some schools lowering entry requirements for very popular choices like law for international students. I do not know if this is possible for medical schools.

I have also read somewhere that some schools would look at the where you stand depending on the UKCAT as well as your academic results and then select the interviewees from there. How true is this?
Reply 6
I am not from UK. I am actually from Singapore. I already have my A level results. As some of you guys might know, there are more subjects that we have to take for our A levels here.

I have seen some schools lowering entry requirements for very popular choices like law for international students. I do not know if this is possible for medical schools.

I have also read somewhere that some schools would look at the where you stand depending on the UKCAT as well as your academic results and then select the interviewees from there. How true is this?

This is true for some medical schools such as Kings, Barts, Exeter and Plymouth for example. However none would interview an applicant with AAB achieved as this is below the minimum academic requirement at A level. It's highly unlikely that this will be any different for international students unfortunately.
Reply 7
Original post by myyrh
This is true for some medical schools such as Kings, Barts, Exeter and Plymouth for example. However none would interview an applicant with AAB achieved as this is below the minimum academic requirement at A level. It's highly unlikely that this will be any different for international students unfortunately.

I see. Hmm. Thanks for the information. :smile:
Reply 8

No, it's not. UK medical schools have a strict quota on the number of international students they are able to take each year - I think it's about 7% of the total number of students. If anything, it's more difficult for internationals to get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending