The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TaraBelle
Or you could buy this hole puncher meaning you have to do a lot of hole punching, but pages stay lovely :smile:

http://www.ryman.co.uk/0710146099/Ryman-Single-Punch-5-Sheet-Capacity/Product

Isn't that just.. a single hole-puncher? What does it do which a normal holepuncher can't (other than only making one hole)?

Original post by M=M0/(1-(V/C)^2)
Yeah, I had this problem but then I decided to just use higher quality paper. This meant that, letting X be the random variable representing the number of broken holes per 100 pages, I could let X be distributed Poisson-ly, thus meaning that P(X>0) < 0.0001 rather than P(X>0) = 0.8976 before when I used paper of low quality. I can then use the proposed distribution to actually test this theory by using hypothesis testing.

Once I did that, on the rare occasion that a hole would break, I simply used the hole punch reinforcers and it's been working ever since :smile:

I can't afford to be using super high quality paper! And also, I can't say to a teacher "can you use 100gsm paper from now on in our printouts?" :smile:

When we're doing our hypothesis testing, what sort of level of significance are we talking?

Spoiler

Original post by The Polymath
Isn't that just.. a single hole-puncher? What does it do which a normal holepuncher can't (other than only making one hole)?

I can't afford to be using super high quality paper! And also, I can't say to a teacher "can you use 100gsm paper from now on in our printouts?" :smile:

When we're doing our hypothesis testing, what sort of level of significance are we talking?

Spoiler

:P hehe... Then I think the best way to go is using paper that is punched with 4 holes. In terms of printouts from the teacher, just use the reinforcements.

Spoiler

The point is that two hole hole punched are impossible to use for four hole binders, so the single one can be used to make the extra top and bottom holes. A lot more convenient than carrying a huge four hole desk holepuncher in your bag :smile:
The mother of all pointless and expensive stationary :smile:

Actually, I felt it was rather useful pahaha :cool:
Reply 25
as a few others have mentioned, a lot of the time it depends how you put the ring binder in your bag

do you have it so that the ring binders are at the top or bottom of your bag?
Reply 26
Hmmph. I hate paper :laugh: whatever you do, in the end it will always degrade, get torn/crumpled.. bahh
Original post by TaraBelle
The point is that two hole hole punched are impossible to use for four hole binders, so the single one can be used to make the extra top and bottom holes. A lot more convenient than carrying a huge four hole desk holepuncher in your bag :smile:

I've never owned a single or 4 punch holepunch and have used 4 holed folders many times?

I guess I must have just used the double holepunch as a single one (i.e. only let one of the punches be over the paper).
Hmmph. I hate paper :laugh: whatever you do, in the end it will always degrade, get torn/crumpled.. bahh

I'm interested in an answer to this thread because the way I fixed this problem is just by tablet-ising everything. I have all my chemistry, maths, physics, etc... books on my tablet which I can simply carry around in my pocket. :P
Original post by callum9999
I've never owned a single or 4 punch holepunch and have used 4 holed folders many times?

I guess I must have just used the double holepunch as a single one (i.e. only let one of the punches be over the paper).

see I tried this but I could never get the hole in the right place, guess I'm just a perfectionist aha!
Reply 30
Original post by M=M0/(1-(V/C)^2)
I'm interested in an answer to this thread because the way I fixed this problem is just by tablet-ising everything. I have all my chemistry, maths, physics, etc... books on my tablet which I can simply carry around in my pocket. :P

Your tablet is dire :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Spoiler

Reply 31
Use better paper, not cheap stuff.
Reply 32
I found this video and the last tip worked for me: putting masking tape into the edges. Hope it works.https://notebookingfairy.com/reinforcing-pages/
Original post by PonchoKid
i put everything in plastic wallets. for normal lecture notes the whole lecture goes into one wallet to keep it together, but for things such as my placement file which has to be handed in in a folder, i put 2 pages in each folder back to back, so it reads like a book.

another cheaper thing you could do, but again effort is half a sticky label (white) folded round the bit of paper, so one label covers one piece of paper. then whole punch through that. it gives the paper extra strength, and works pretty well

This maybe 9 years ago but thank you. I just used some sellotape and punched through that. Most of my pages stay in, just a few rip out from continous referal and use. (and i can't use poly pockets because I constantly write on the sheet new things.)

Latest

Trending

Trending