The Student Room Group

Gay and Scared of Intimacy

Ok, so I'm going to post this while tipsy - apologies :colondollar:

I'm gay, and I'm comfortable with my sexuality, and I'm out to everyone close to me, but I have a massive problem.

Any time a guy shows interest in me, I instinctively back off - even if I like him. I really don't want to be like this, but I can't help it.

I'm pretty sure this comes from the last guy I was seeing, who hurt me a lot after we slept together.

Has anyone (gay or straight) experienced something like this, and what can I do about it, or do I need counselling? :cry2:
Reply 1
Original post by askew116
who hurt me a lot after we slept together.

:giggle:

I had a similar problem with a girl back in school. I could text her for hours on end, but face to face I'd hide away in my little shell and almost completely blank her. In the end she lost interest and I regretted it for a long time. I think the best thing to do is just ask yourself why you are being shy. Is it that you don't really like this person, or maybe your worried what others will think. Identifiying the issue is the first step in working things out.
I'm homo, I back off guys who fancy me as well. But because I always attracts very mature guys...
Reply 3
Original post by Elwyn
:giggle:

I had a similar problem with a girl back in school. I could text her for hours on end, but face to face I'd hide away in my little shell and almost completely blank her. In the end she lost interest and I regretted it for a long time. I think the best thing to do is just ask yourself why you are being shy. Is it that you don't really like this person, or maybe your worried what others will think. Identifiying the issue is the first step in working things out.

I've obviously thought about this a lot. All I know is that I like the guys (if I don't, I let them know straight away), but I'm not worried about others' reactions. I'm generally a confident person (introverted admittedly, but by no means reclusive or anything), and I'm completely comfortable with my sexuality (consciously anyway).

I just don't know why I recoil at the slightest sign of affection from guys that I do actually like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending