The Student Room Group

Offer Conditions versus Actual Results

Hi everybody,
I posted a little while ago worrying about not getting offers. Well now I have officially accepted both a firm and conditional offer but have found some more stuff to worry about! Basically at AS Level I got a D in Chemistry, which for someone who wants to be a vet is pretty shocking I know. I declined the grade and have taken Chem, Bio and English Language to A2 Level (I'm well on course to A grades in the other two). My problem is that although I've resat last year's exams and with a lot of work achieved A grades in them, I'm really not sure I'm going to get the A overall for my A2, and my firm offer is AAA. So my question is, what are my chances of still getting into the RVC if I get AAB with an AAA offer, bearing in mind that the B is in supposedly the most important subject? Also as I'm clearly not a natural at this subject, how important is Chemistry in the actual veterinary medicine course? I'd really love to hear from anyone who had a similar experience in last year's applications, or who knows someone that did, as I don't think statistics are available on this kind of thing. Thanks for your help!
Jenny :smile:
Reply 1
I think it depends on how many people accept RVC as there firm or insurance compared too how many places they have. If too many people accept them as firm I think they may not take you, but if they had room they would! I think thats what was said in one of the threads in medicine forum and it seems logical lol

I have heard that RVC does quite often take you if you miss your offer, and as yours is AAA and they give out AAB offers they may well take you with AAB. I met someone from RVC who had an AAB offer and got ABB and they took her :biggrin:
Reply 2
So many people last year got into the RVC (particularly) without getting their grades - ie getting AAB or even ABB with an AAA offer - which is nice to know!!

As for chemistry being important - theres little bits and pieces everywhere - where you think - oh yeah I remember that! - hypothetically you could live without chemistry really in the 1st year - but I think it will be more important once you really get into vet side of things - in later years i guess.
Reply 3
yeah at the vets where i go to on work experience, one of the vets there got in with 3B's to RVC and shes the best vet there!! Just goes to show alot of what you do at A-level is not needed in the outside world...its your degree that matters! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending